U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 04:18 PM

35,146 posts, read 41,633,666 times
Default Anyone eating at home more these days?

Just wondering about restaurants and their business . . . and wondering if most people in our area are, indeed, staying at home and cooking more often.

If you have changed your habits somewhat, are you making an effort to learn more about cooking techniques and looking for recipes? Are you going for simple recipes or trying to replicate the types of things you usually ordered in restaurants?

Indicators seem to suggest that this is a nationwide trend. True for Charlotte?

Two pocketbook indicators show people eating at home more, spending less on extras
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 04:21 PM

2,193 posts, read 3,115,203 times
I took this indian vegeterian cooking class. We eat a lot of meat at home, so I wanted to learn how cook some veggies. I learned great techniques and recipes from the class!

Old 11-06-2009, 04:37 PM

769 posts, read 1,387,450 times
We've always eaten at home way more than eating out, because we're both pretty good cooks and typically find that we like our food better than most of the stuff we get at restaurants. So really, our habits haven't changed at all.

We both browse recipe sites on a regular basis, and will try anything that sounds good, saving the complicated and bread recipes for weekend experiments.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
I took this indian vegeterian cooking class. We eat a lot of meat at home, so I wanted to learn how cook some veggies. I learned great techniques and recipes from the class!
Sheenie, that sounds so good. Was the class here in Charlotte? Are they still running it or was this a one-time-only class? Maybe others would like to take it, too!

Old 11-06-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemaew View Post
We've always eaten at home way more than eating out, because we're both pretty good cooks and typically find that we like our food better than most of the stuff we get at restaurants. So really, our habits haven't changed at all.

We both browse recipe sites on a regular basis, and will try anything that sounds good, saving the complicated and bread recipes for weekend experiments.
Oh, you do bread! That is a real art. I tend to be a quick and easy chef. I do more elaborate dishes for holidays (when cooking for a crowd).

Do you find yourself doing a lot of "favorites" or are you always looking for a new dish (or method?)

I am looking for low salt recipes. Have never used a lot of salt (makes meat tough) but since the change in hubby's diet requirements, I am paying more attention to how much salt is in ingredients, such as canned foods. I like the convenience of canned foods for casseroles, especially, but have switched almost entirely to frozen (if not fresh) b/c of sodium content.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:02 PM

145 posts, read 207,839 times
CPCC offers a lot of cooking classes. (I was really interested in the Chinese cooking class, but I waited too long to enroll for the classes going on right now. BUT I am going to take the class next time it is offered.)

In fact I have been eyeing a lot of the cooking classes that they offer (especially the Mexican and pie making classes).

We are cooking more than we used to, but that's because there aren't any restaurants to/from hubby's work. (Generally he would pick stuff up to/from work for him/us to eat.) We have been here for almost 6 months now and I am cooking 150% more than I used to.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:06 PM

14,699 posts, read 13,326,461 times
Ya, we are trying to so we can pay off our credit card bills. We have cut down about 50% of going out to eat. We used to go out 7 - 8 times a week.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenew View Post
CPCC offers a lot of cooking classes. (I was really interested in the Chinese cooking class, but I waited too long to enroll for the classes going on right now. BUT I am going to take the class next time it is offered.)

In fact I have been eyeing a lot of the cooking classes that they offer (especially the Mexican and pie making classes).

We are cooking more than we used to, but that's because there aren't any restaurants to/from hubby's work. (Generally he would pick stuff up to/from work for him/us to eat.) We have been here for almost 6 months now and I am cooking 150% more than I used to.
Isn't CP a great asset to the community? They offer so much that is helpful - over and above classes towards degrees.

Do you use recipes? Do you ever watch cooking videos? I am so curious how folks are finding the recipes or techniques that they are using at home. I have seen some very well done videos on recipes as well as methodology.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Ya, we are trying to so we can pay off our credit card bills. We have cut down about 50% of going out to eat. We used to go out 7 - 8 times a week.
BS - are you planning your menus out by the week? Do you go to the grocery store and pick up stuff just for one recipe, or shop once for the whole week?

What we do is plan things out in a general way and try to keep the pantry stocked without having to get too many extras during the week. But I am finding if I don't spend a good bit of time with recipes and menus for the whole week, I have to run out and get a specific ingredient. So I am trying to do lists according to the recipes/menus I am making in the week ahead. That is taking up a lot of time!!!

Old 11-06-2009, 05:31 PM

145 posts, read 207,839 times
ani- I do use recipes. I have lots of recipe books and I LOVE to read them like novels. I do have "faithful" recipes that hubby and I love (and reheat well) and I have other recipes that are yummy, but don't reheat well.

So I plan the menu for the week and base what I am cooking on what his schedule is that day.

I do look for new recipes on the net. Can't say that I have ever watched a cooking show (have access, but just don't watch the shows) or a video on cooking.

Of course when I find one that I think my mom and sister might like, I email them the recipe and they do the same to me.

I have found some YUMMY recipes in the paper also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte