U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 06:36 PM

13 posts, read 14,187 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to know if anyone out there knew of any integrated suburbs around Charlotte. I'm african american and was looking at the ballantyne area. I'm single so schools don't matter now. But I am intrested in having a pretty integrated community, given the fact that i'm from the north. I make ove $60,000 a year, so money is'nt an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2006, 07:42 PM

336 posts, read 403,360 times
I have yet to see many non-integrated suburban areas around Charlotte. The expensive subdivisions that would be almost all white where I moved from have multiple races in them, along with most other places that I have seen so far. Recently while driving around exploring and looking at homes I talked to a nice african american couple living on a $700k+ street in The Palisades, and also a nice mexican couple moving in to about a $225k new house near Pineville.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:55 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,570,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msim
Just wanted to know if anyone out there knew of any integrated suburbs around Charlotte. I'm african american and was looking at the ballantyne area. I'm single so schools don't matter now. But I am intrested in having a pretty integrated community, given the fact that i'm from the north. I make ove $60,000 a year, so money is'nt an issue.
$60k in NC or your current state? $60k is my state is below poverty.

Old 07-20-2006, 08:04 PM

240 posts, read 935,237 times
I have already relocated to Charlotte. I have been here for 3 weeks. I previously lived in MD/DC, Va Beach area, and SoFl. In my opinion, I found that the Mallard Creek area is pretty integrated. That area appears to have a diverse group of people. Everyone has been very friendly towards me and my family. I have seen many interracial couples, AA, Latinos, Indians, and other groups. The areas that I have searched are very family oriented. Check out the neighborhoods Lexington, Fountaingrove, Highland Creek, Davis Lake etc.
I'm sure there are other areas of Charlotte. I'm still exploring. I have to say my experience has been positive.

If you have any direct questions, you can PM and I'll give you my honest opinion.

Old 07-20-2006, 09:11 PM

24 posts, read 100,832 times
Yes I get kind of concerned about a good mix of people in my neighborhood, childs school and just the daily things we will do in NC. Being from NYC the biggest melting pot, it is a concern, but it may just me my own hang up !

Old 07-20-2006, 09:13 PM

477 posts, read 1,440,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washingtonian
I have already relocated to Charlotte. I have been here for 3 weeks. I previously lived in MD/DC, Va Beach area, and SoFl. In my opinion, I found that the Mallard Creek area is pretty integrated. That area appears to have a diverse group of people. Everyone has been very friendly towards me and my family. I have seen many interracial couples, AA, Latinos, Indians, and other groups. The areas that I have searched are very family oriented. Check out the neighborhoods Lexington, Fountaingrove, Highland Creek, Davis Lake etc.
I'm sure there are other areas of Charlotte. I'm still exploring. I have to say my experience has been positive.

If you have any direct questions, you can PM and I'll give you my honest opinion.

So when you say "areas" are these cities, towns or subdivision? Im so confused.

Old 07-20-2006, 09:21 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,354,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msim
Have you looked into SW Charlotte (Steele Creek area)...according to regional realtor maps that would be in area 7. Good luck with your search!

Old 07-20-2006, 09:42 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,354,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley
$60k in NC or your current state? $60k is my state is below poverty.
and what state are you from TornadoAlley...where $60K is below poverty (for one)?....(or do you happen to be saying this in jest?)

Old 07-20-2006, 09:49 PM

336 posts, read 403,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas
and what state are you from TornadoAlley...where $60K is below poverty (for one)?....(or do you happen to be saying this in jest?)
The 2006 federal poverty line for 1 person in the the 48 contiguous states is $ 9,800, Alaska is $12,250, and Hawaii is $11,270.

Old 07-20-2006, 10:02 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,570,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas
You have email
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or