U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 06:11 PM

55 posts, read 144,641 times

Advertisements

Unlike many folks here, I am an NC native, looking to move back to NC after many, many years away. Just wondering if any other natives/long timers can give me a heads up on how life is different/the same in NC since so many people are moving in from out of state.

Just wondering what to expect after so many years away.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 07:42 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,874,730 times
Default Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2NC View Post
Unlike many folks here, I am an NC native, looking to move back to NC after many, many years away. Just wondering if any other natives/long timers can give me a heads up on how life is different/the same in NC since so many people are moving in from out of state.

Just wondering what to expect after so many years away.

Thanks so much!
What part of NC are you from originally? How long have you been gone?
If you were from the South Charlotte area, depending on how long ago you left here, you will not recognize the place.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:41 PM

From the Western part, but looking to move to the Charlotte area for personal reasons. Wondering more about the culture and all. Wondering if all the transplants have embraced the culture, or tried to recreate the North East? That kind of thing.

Thanks.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:43 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,557,146 times
Well this northeasterner has embraced it No plans to go back to NY. I tell my husband that if he ever loses his job (God forbid!) he will have double shifts at Burger King so we can stay here!

Old 05-12-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
Well this northeasterner has embraced it No plans to go back to NY. I tell my husband that if he ever loses his job (God forbid!) he will have double shifts at Burger King so we can stay here!
Thanks! Seems like the people we know from NY who have moved there are happier and more relaxed. Just wondering if that's true on the whole, or a biased sampling!

I don't want to upset anyone by my post, but I want to have a realistic idea of what to expect. I miss some of the customs/manners I learned in NC, and hope they are still alive and well.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:01 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,874,730 times
Default NC Customs

Quote:
I want to have a realistic idea of what to expect. I miss some of the customs/manners I learned in NC, and hope they are still alive and well.
Tell me the sorts of customs you are thinking of...

For me, I'd say a lot of the old customs are still alive and kicking, but probably not in the newest subdivisions. If you can find a place where there is a nice mix of native to newcomer population, or at least where the newcomers have been around for a few years, I think you might see what you are looking for. If you move into one of the brand-spanking new developments, you will probably not find a native North Carolinian in the whole place. I think it will be harder for the newcomers to pick up NC customs when they aren't exposed to any. Just my perspective. That's not to say that the newcomers aren't very nice people with customs of their own.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:07 AM

73 posts, read 62,579 times
As one of NC's most famous sons once titled a novel "You can't go home again."

Old 05-13-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
Tell me the sorts of customs you are thinking of...
Well, saying "hi" to people, without them either looking at you funny, ignoring you, or saying something not so friendly, like "what are you looking at?" Also, not rushing around all over the place, and tailgating. I am hoping that the schools show respect for teachers, and kids know how to show respect in general. That sort of thing.

Thanks for the thoughts on brand new subdivisions. I hadn't thought of that. Ideally, if it were possible, I'd like a place that has a mix of locals and transplants. I think it would be a better fit than being surrounded by just one or the other.

I do not expect things to be how they were when I left, which is actually a good thing. However, I worry if I am about to step into, as some one once put it, "New York Lite"...

Peace.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:51 AM

435 posts, read 1,677,794 times
Quote:
Also, not rushing around all over the place, and tailgating.
Well......thats happening here in Charlotte. It appears to have gotten worse over the past 5yrs or so (maybe even longer). In the 20 + yrs I've lived here life has gotten a lot faster compared to how it was. It may not be fast as in the sense of what you would see in LA, NYC, Chicago, etc. but for here it is faster.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:37 PM

192 posts, read 628,755 times
We lived here for 20 years then moved away for 6. I am soooo happy to be back here. I don't really know why. It's just a feeling. I can't say life is slower here (I never felt like it was before) it's just an attitude thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or