U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-10-2009, 12:25 PM
 
7,105 posts, read 9,699,824 times
Reputation: 2564

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
What don't you understand about it not being your money??

Same thing you said to the other poster and to me yesterday. Leave a little wiggle room for other having a different viewpoint than yours. Let's just leave it at that please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-10-2009, 12:40 PM
 
17 posts, read 34,263 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
1) It's not THEIR MONEY. It's the builders money.
Taking it out of context...yes. How the builder wants to generate business, is completely up to them. If they want to give comissions for incoming business from realtors, good for them. However, to bring a realtor in to get the commsion because "times are tough" is silly, because they would be bringing little value to the table.

Would you knowingly buy a car that has a 3% cushion built in for referrals from the body shop if you weren't referred from the body shop? Why should anyone pay more then they have to for something? The goodness of their hearts?

Quote:
2) No one said it would be unfair to discount the house if the person didn't use a realtor
Re-read slowly for comprehension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugaillini View Post
I know this is frustrating and confusing. My husband is a custom home builder, and I asked him your question. He said that ethically the builder cannot reduce the price for the buyer because that would be penalizing everyone who uses a realtor. As other posters have said, the commission is a fee that the seller (in this case, the builder) is paying for the referral from a realtor.
Quote:
3) Realtors are bound by a code of ethics. If it is illegal for them to do a kick back, they could and should lose their license.
Perhaps you should look up discount realtors.

http://www.terravistarealty.com/index.cfm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2009, 12:58 PM
 
17 posts, read 34,263 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugaillini View Post
Unfortunately, that's the problem. Technically a buyer should never be paying for a realtor. The realtor fees should always be coming from the seller. Therefore, if the builder discounted the house because the buyer did not use a realtor, in essence that would be saying that other buyers who use realtors are paying for their services (when it should be the seller paying for the realtor). That is why giving the buyer money for not using a realtor would be unethical.
You are right. The buyer should not be paying for a realtor in a typical house sale. The seller contracts with a selling agent that the selling agent would get a certain % of the selling price in return for doing the work to sell the house. If the selling agent wants to give some of that money to the buyers agent, then that would be the norm.

However, this is a builder building a house on a piece of already owned property. It should be more aligned with hiring a general contractor to build a house, because the seller and the selling agent are the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2009, 01:00 PM
 
2,341 posts, read 4,046,190 times
Reputation: 1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsustash View Post

Re-read slowly for comprehension.


Perhaps you should look up discount realtors.

Charlotte NC Discount Realtor - 1.5% Buyer's Agent Rebates - MLS Listings
You probbaly missed this, but the link you posted says

"We offer one half of this fee back to you, the buyer - it comes directly off your total cost at closing."

If it comes off at closing it is disclosed and all parties are aware. I mentioned this in an early post. This is not the same thing as a kickback or a realtor giving a client money after the closing.

I read and comprehend pretty well.

As for your point about paying more than you have to. The builder is unwilling to pass a discount on to the buyer because they aren't using a realtor. Your point is moot.

I can understand not feeling that it is "fair" but laws and regulations are usually put there for a reason. Several people have tried to explain why the practice isn't allowed. Not liking the rationale is one thing, not understanding it is another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2009, 01:14 PM
 
7,105 posts, read 9,699,824 times
Reputation: 2564
To answer the OP's question as to whether to pay or move on: Move on and find another builder is MY opinion. The deal has bad karma in it from the get go and since this builder is 3% chintsy at the beginning, what we he do later when it's a serious money issue.

As far as "this is his marketing money", well I hope that 3% will bring him another buyer. He had one in the palm of his hand for a measly 3% off the selling price that would have reflected itself on the HUD statement. It is no harder than that. Take 3% off the selling price, put it on the closing statement and move on with construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 07:07 AM
 
17 posts, read 34,263 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
You probbaly missed this, but the link you posted says

"We offer one half of this fee back to you, the buyer - it comes directly off your total cost at closing."

If it comes off at closing it is disclosed and all parties are aware. I mentioned this in an early post. This is not the same thing as a kickback or a realtor giving a client money after the closing.

I read and comprehend pretty well.

As for your point about paying more than you have to. The builder is unwilling to pass a discount on to the buyer because they aren't using a realtor. Your point is moot.

I can understand not feeling that it is "fair" but laws and regulations are usually put there for a reason. Several people have tried to explain why the practice isn't allowed. Not liking the rationale is one thing, not understanding it is another.
Well done. The reading comment was in reference that some DID say it was unfair to discount the house if the person did use a realtor.

If you really want to base your arguement on whether it is called a kick-back or refund, fine. Then the OP should find a realtor that will offer 2.95% of the 3% money back so that everyone knows it going in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Lake Wylie, SC
622 posts, read 1,583,960 times
Reputation: 475
In a way I agree with the builder's stance on the issue if they have multiple homes in the community for sale. If they discount this home 3% this sets the base sales price for future sales (with or without a realtor). For example, discounted a 200K home @ 3%, would show as a sales price of 194K in the MLS.

As a realtor, I bring my client to the same builder (for the same home and amenities), where do I start negotiations? Naturally I would begin with 194K for my base point. This creates a downward spiral in the sales of their future homes. The seller (builder) can offer concessions, such as contributing to the buyer's closing costs and keep the sales price @200K, but the concessions will show on the MLS and be available to the public.

The only solution that will benefit the buyer, is to find a realtor (don't call me) that will contribute a percentage of their commission to the buyer. They can contribute a portion of their commission to the buyer's closing costs, pay for a home inspection (highly recommended even if new construction), etc. This contribution is going to contribute to out of pocket expenses for the buyer and in MHO is as valuable as a discounted sales price.

Actually I wish the new auto dealerships had to report their sales figures an a particular make and model. This way I could walk into a dealership and start negotiations based on the lowest sale on record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:20 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top