U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 05:59 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,945,114 times

Advertisements

Good boiled peanuts are really hard to get. Most of the places where one might buy them do not cook them enough as it takes several hours of slow boiling in salt water to get them tender enough. They are extremely good when cooked right however. One of the problems is you need raw green peanuts and they are very hard to find if you don't grow them yourself. (which we used to do in the household garden) You can find them right now at the farmers market as they are in season.

This was something else I grew up with in SC and like the chicken bog was surprised when I found out the rest of the country does not eat them. They are a lot more common than chicken bog but they are almost unobtainable even here in Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 06:03 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,600,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
ROFL! Now, Sunny . . . my daddy was in college in Columbia when I was 3, and one of my fondest memories of Columbia, SC is his getting bags of boiled peanuts. They were soooo tasty. I used to suck the hulls trying to get every last bit of flavor out of 'em.

But then, I like things not everybody likes - from brussel sprouts to beets.

Chicken bog is just good ole (low)country cookin'!!! I was told that after the War, folks were so stretched for food - they would make up iron pots of chicken bog - and it would feed a crowd of folks. I have heard some wonderful stories about the proud (but aggressive) old rooster that got served up in a big ole bowl of chicken bog, Hee Hee. Add biscuits w/ honey . . .
Why not hust chicken & dumplings.. its cheap and I c an deal with the taste
What you guys are describing sounds like Raman Boodles cooked in Pork Fat

I guess I just need to go to a country store to see if they will let me sample boiled peanuts but I would need to be near a door in case Ineed to spit
but those cajun ones sophialee mention sound tempting
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 11-10-2009, 06:05 PM

6,772 posts, read 11,895,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Why not hust chicken & dumplings.. its cheap and I c an deal with the taste
What you guys are describing sounds like Raman Boodles cooked in Pork Fat

I guess I just need to go to a country store to see if they will let me sample boiled peanuts but I would need to be near a door in case Ineed to spit
There is a place in Monroe that sells them, but they suck. Don't go there. Some country store/landscaping place...on 75 by the intersection of 84.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:35 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,718,533 times
I wants me a big ole bucket of some chicken bog...............and a diet coke..lol youfolks that think it just a nasty mess can leave your bowl on the table and me and the dog will take care of it.....yummy

Old 11-11-2009, 04:27 AM

7,109 posts, read 9,735,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
I wants me a big ole bucket of some chicken bog...............and a diet coke..lol youfolks that think it just a nasty mess can leave your bowl on the table and me and the dog will take care of it.....yummy
Just wondering--do you and the dog both eat one at a time out of the "bowl on the table" or at the same time?

Just kidding. Had a strange image in front of me when I read your post.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:29 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,215,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I've heard this from the natives down there due to the fact that a lot of the stuff she cooks isn't authentic, but I did some checking after I posted this and see that she is from GA. (I usually check my facts before posting) However I do stand by the statement that Savannah isn't a source for instructions on how to cook Chicken Bog.

Yeah I also noticed the other day that Paula Deen's shrimp and grits recipe is a little... um.. not-how-you-really-do-it.

Last edited by le roi; 11-11-2009 at 04:39 AM..

Old 11-11-2009, 11:52 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,718,533 times
I dont know ,but I think Paula hits the boze and her Hubby too...

Old 11-12-2009, 04:27 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,945,114 times
I recommend the cooking shows on PBS if you want to see good cooking instruction, but I've don't ever recall them making Chicken Bog. If you want to lighten it up a bit, then use just a chicken breast, a chicken thigh, and a lower fat polish sausage. This dish also works a lot better with a long grain rice so don't attempt it with a short grain rice or you will end up with a pot of glue. Fortunately long grain rice is common here so save your premium exotic short grain for stuff like sushi, etc.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:06 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,215,453 times
I make chicken bog all the time with sushi rice. In fact that is what I prefer. You just have to soak it in water beforehand.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:30 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,165,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I make chicken bog all the time with sushi rice. In fact that is what I prefer. You just have to soak it in water beforehand.
Just curious - do you put sausage in yours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or