Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 10:52 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times

Advertisements

I had some chicken bog once down in South Carolina. It was great. Has anyone heard of it before and if so where can I find some near charlotte. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 04:28 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Being from Myrtle Beach I grew up with it. There is even a Chicken Bog festival in Horry County (the county that Myrtle Beach is in) but this dish seems to be little known outside the Long Bay area. Long Bay = Georgetown, Horry Brunswick counties. Well... they do know about it in Charleston but the natives consider it a "trash" dish from northern coast and not suitable for their status. When moved away from the beach area, I was quite surprised that nobody else in the country had ever heard of it including here in Charlotte which is relatively close to the coast. Chicken Bog originated from the days when there used to be rice farms there and rice was a bigger staple than wheat in the very isolated Horry county area. There is a rice museum in Georgetown and I believe they may sell a couple of local recipe books about the dish.

The Chicken Bog festival in Loris is called the Loris Bog-Off and they just held this year's event last month. I believe my mom and dad went to it this year, but I haven't been since Ronald Reagan was in office. I sill remember a protest going on that year "Ronald Reagan ain't no good... Send him back to Hollywood..." lol However this event is mostly revolves around a contest to see who can cook the best chicken bog.

Nobody in Charlotte, from the natives to the transplants, has ever heard of it, so if you want some here, you are going to have to make it for yourself. I'm not saying that you can't find it somewhere around here, but in the decades that I live in Mecklenburg, I've never seen it on a menu. I usually make a pot of it every couple of weeks as it is a staple dinner for us. I take a short cut in making it by cooking it in a pressurized Korean rice cooker. Some would say this isn't authentic, but I've spent decades cooking and figured out how to do it this way. It's a great dish that keeps well and makes great leftovers and packs well for take to work lunches.

Last edited by lumbollo; 11-10-2009 at 04:54 AM..

Old 11-10-2009, 07:24 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Here is some info about Chicken Bog for interested parties: Chicken Bog vs. Pileau (per-low).

I have no idea where to get any, though.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:35 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,493,390 times
My MIL lives in Surfside Beach, SC, and made it for us once. Yummy, though I always giggled at the name.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:08 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Nobody in Charlotte, from the natives to the transplants, has ever heard of it, so if you want some here, you are going to have to make it for yourself.
Hee-hee, you're right! I'm a Charlotte native, and had never heard of it before. It looks like something I already make, a variation on chicken-n-rice - now I know what to call it!

Here's a recipe

Here's Paula Deen's take on it, with sausage

Which, according to your link, ain't right - it said only chicken!

Old 11-10-2009, 08:12 AM

Indeed. Paula Dean is a transplanted Yankee who moved to Savannah where she pretends to be Southern. Aside from that, they don't know anything about chicken bog in Savannah.

On that link above, I would probably go with the Chapin Library version as a good recipe to start with. It's probably closest to what is usually served though I do acknowledge there are a lot of "secret" family recipes that provide a lot of variations.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:19 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
Quote:
Indeed. Paula Dean is a transplanted Yankee who moved to Savannah where she pretends to be Southern. Aside from that, they don't know anything about chicken bog in Savannah.
Where did you hear that? Paula Deen was born in Albany, Georgia, lived there for 23 years then moved to Savannah.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:34 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Where did you get your information that she is a Carpet Bagger? According to anything I have found she was born in GA and has always lived there. Are you a Truther?

Old 11-10-2009, 08:58 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
I had some chicken bog once down in South Carolina. It was great. Has anyone heard of it before and if so where can I find some near charlotte. Thanks
Nativechief check out this thread

Chicken purlu (purloo?)

Old 11-10-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Where did you hear that? Paula Deen was born in Albany, Georgia, lived there for 23 years then moved to Savannah.
I've heard this from the natives down there due to the fact that a lot of the stuff she cooks isn't authentic, but I did some checking after I posted this and see that she is from GA. (I usually check my facts before posting) However I do stand by the statement that Savannah isn't a source for instructions on how to cook Chicken Bog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte