Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 01:21 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times

Advertisements

I don't think there is anything to this. Radio Shack has a lease in Forth Worth that runs until 2011 that is rent free. (part of a complex deal they made to sell their HQ building) They are looking for options of what to do once this lease has expired because they don't want to pay market rates on this very expensive building. They have made some inquiries on rents on other cities which is typical for this type of project.

My guess is they will use the opportunity to force some tax incentives out of Texas and that will be the end of it.

This is typical brain dead reporting from the Business Journal which the only reason I can think the left out this part of the story, is because they are nothing more than a tabloid rag. Wonder how many times the local media is going to repeat this story. The same thing happened with the story that GMAC HQ moving from Detroit to Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 01:46 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I don't think there is anything to this. Radio Shack has a lease in Forth Worth that runs until 2011 that is rent free. (part of a complex deal they made to sell their HQ building) They are looking for options of what to do once this lease has expired because they don't want to pay market rates on this very expensive building. They have made some inquiries on rents on other cities which is typical for this type of project.

My guess is they will use the opportunity to force some tax incentives out of Texas and that will be the end of it.

This is typical brain dead reporting from the Business Journal which the only reason I can think the left out this part of the story, is because they are nothing more than a tabloid rag. Wonder how many times the local media is going to repeat this story. The same thing happened with the story that GMAC HQ moving from Detroit to Charlotte.
What are you talking about? GMAC did end up moving their bank operation here, bringing over 200 new jobs, signed a lease to operate in a brand new highrise in Uptown, and the CEO lives here. What more did you want?

Old 11-12-2009, 02:13 PM

494 posts, read 1,348,879 times
I was just in DFW last week and the area feels booming compared to here...cannot imagine why they would leave an ideal business climate for NC. It seems strange.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
My guess is they will use the opportunity to force some tax incentives out of Texas and that will be the end of it...
lumbollo,
I would also add that surely you're not against the use of tax incentives to lure businesses? Certainly not after the way you've openly applauded the state of South Carolina for paying $170,000,000 in incentives to Boeing? I know you're not implying that its ok for Charleston, but not Charlotte

Old 11-12-2009, 03:06 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
What are you talking about? GMAC did end up moving their bank operation here, bringing over 200 new jobs, signed a lease to operate in a brand new highrise in Uptown, and the CEO lives here. What more did you want?
LOL. GMAC was already here and only agreed to add 200 over a period of 5 years only AFTER they got a tax incentive from NC to do so. This is a far cry from moving their fairly significant HQ from Detroit to Charlotte which was what was reported in the BJ, the Observer, and all the channels of local TV. As for the CEO, he is busy asking the government for another TARP bailout because without it, they are done as a business. The BJ hasn't said much about that of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
lumbollo,
I would also add that surely you're not against the use of tax incentives to lure businesses? .....
I am not against using tax dollars when it constitutes creation of real jobs that add something to the American economy. Get back to me when this happens in Charlotte.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:13 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Like most everyone else, the first thing I thought when I read this is why RadioShack would want to leave one of THE most business-friendly places in the country? The Metroplex is booming as far as corporate headquarters go. I'm not really holding my breath on this one.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:43 PM
am2

413 posts, read 856,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Like most everyone else, the first thing I thought when I read this is why RadioShack would want to leave one of THE most business-friendly places in the country? The Metroplex is booming as far as corporate headquarters go. I'm not really holding my breath on this one.

I read somewhere recently that NC was number 1, beat TX

Old 11-12-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I am not against using tax dollars when it constitutes creation of real jobs that add something to the American economy. Get back to me when this happens in Charlotte.
Its amazing how little you seem to know about Charlotte. So as requested, right back at ya....

Premier to add 300 jobs, move headquarters to Ballantyne - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/597/story/1001792.html - broken link)
Diagnostic Devices' Unique "Made in U.S.A" Formula is Bringing 200 Jobs Back to U.S. from China - News, Search Jobs, Events
Biotage Moving U.S. HQ from Va. To Charlotte - North Carolina Biotechnology Center (http://www.ncbiotech.org/news_and_events/industry_news/biotage_moves_from_va_to_charl_1.html - broken link)
Siemens to invest $50M, add 226 jobs in Charlotte - Charlotte Business Journal:

Old 11-12-2009, 05:21 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by am2 View Post
I read somewhere recently that NC was number 1, beat TX
I'm not talking about states, I'm talking about metro areas. The Metroplex usually ranks very near the top in terms of business-friendly places in America. They've got tons of corporate headquarters there (somewhere between 40-50 F1000 companies).

Old 11-13-2009, 05:58 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I'm not talking about states, I'm talking about metro areas. The Metroplex usually ranks very near the top in terms of business-friendly places in America. They've got tons of corporate headquarters there (somewhere between 40-50 F1000 companies).
It is corporate heaven there. I love visiting that region of TX - it is so well-laid out, terrific highway system, wonderful office complexes w/ thriving retail support, great selection of hotels and resorts . . . At one time, even tho we were in NC, our son was in CHI and one of our close friends was in KCMO - all the headquarters for the firms where we worked had at least a major part of their operations quartered in the DFW region, so we were all frequently in airports at about the same time. Dallas-Ft. Worth is business friendly in every way. That is one region of the country I have always wanted to live in and thought we would work that out several times, but never did. Would happily move there today, even tho I would still come back to NC, eventually!

I would be very surprised if RS moved their operations here . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte