U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 04:03 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,707,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
I think this whole thing is pretty weak as far as race controversies go, but I do think it was a pretty stupid thing to do. I think it's pretty clear that there was no malicious intent behind it whatsoever -- but I also think singling out the only three black students to stand in front of their fifty-seven non-black classmates as portrayers of slaves is a recipe for discomfort. They say from now on they'll ask for volunteers. Seems like a decent solution to me, but I'd just eliminate it alogether - how tough can it be to find another way for students to participate?

I'm not sure the arguments that they need to keep it authentic really hold much water. First, I hardly think having a kid toss a burlap sack over their shoulder really does much to illustrate slavery. And second, what do you suggest if it's an all white class - blackface?

The school overreacted with the whole vow never to return and all, but I do think it was a problem waiting to happen. Harldy the end of the world though. Just a thoughtless little mistake.
Timm, you are right when you say that "The school overreacted". It could have been handled in a manner where the race card could have been avoided. The volunteer thing would have been a good idea if no whites volunteered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 04:13 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,921,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sadly, we have become the nation of the offended And God help you if the person you offended can afford a lawyer!.......
Indeed. You hit the nail exactly on the head. There was a time when something such as this would have been simply handled in an adult like manner. I get the impression that Americans in general are devolving back to a childlike existence.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:20 PM

7,180 posts, read 11,191,586 times
And when did this world become so d*mned perfect that no one is allowed to make a mistake anymore without an uproar, a lawsuit, a firing, etc having to occur? I am so sick of people playing victim when a simple incorrectness crosses their path in life. Now the school is going to deprive future students the experience of visiting this historic location? Geesh!

Old 11-13-2009, 05:35 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,302,398 times
If Union County is so acutely attuned to this issue, how come the teachers chaperoning the class haven't been suspended or terminated? I mean, didnt they see that awful man choosing only the black students to represent slaves? Couldn't they have stopped this injustice? This whole thing event is just screaming Bill Diehl's name!

Old 11-13-2009, 06:10 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,987,180 times
What is so sad about this . . . it appears the person who made this mistake had no ill intent . . . and there was no need to blow this incident up into Civil War III. Good grief. An apology and a "teachable moment" should have been enough. Folks sure are touchy. We had slaves in this country - not exclusively in the South, but somehow, it has become all that the South is known for. Slavery is a despicable institution, which is something we all agree on. This is a tempest in a teapot and makes me wonder why - in a world filled with so many problems - this small embarrassing/humiliating moment was seen as so egregious that it needed to become the subject of social discourse.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:40 PM

52 posts, read 131,539 times
While I don't think that the tour guide intended to create chaos by choosing the African-American students to represent the plantation slaves, I do think that it would be wise to either ask for volunteers or select students of various ethnicities in the future. Being singled out for something like a slave re-enactment is a very sensitive issue with many African-Americans, and I personally would have felt extremely uncomfortable if I had been one of the students chosen out of that entire group. A re-enactment of this nature doesn't have to be authentic in order to effectively relay the point to the students.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:47 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,987,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdennis08 View Post
While I don't think that the tour guide intended to create chaos by choosing the African-American students to represent the plantation slaves, I do think that it would be wise to either ask for volunteers or select students of various ethnicities in the future. Being singled out for something like a slave re-enactment is a very sensitive issue with many African-Americans, and I personally would have felt extremely uncomfortable if I had been one of the students chosen out of that entire group. A re-enactment of this nature doesn't have to be authentic in order to effectively relay the point to the students.
And I believe that lesson was learned by the hapless guide who erred on the side of authenticity . . . so making this incident into some sort of indictment is patently past the point of silliness. I shiver to think what would have happened had the well-intentioned but tactless/PC-insensitive guide been white.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:16 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,862,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdennis08 View Post
While I don't think that the tour guide intended to create chaos by choosing the African-American students to represent the plantation slaves, I do think that it would be wise to either ask for volunteers or select students of various ethnicities in the future.
LOL affirmative action for roles as slaves?

Old 11-14-2009, 08:25 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,455,968 times
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 11-14-2009, 08:51 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,707,475 times
I think that the teachers in the aforementioned school district should be up in arms and picketing the play "South Pacific" whic is on stage downtown. Imagine the poor Pacific Islanders being casted by Asians and not a single "white" Asian. How unforgivable, Asians being played by Asians. My God!

What is really unforgivable was the play "Westside Story" about poor Puerto Rican gangs being casted by Hispanics. Geeezzz! Unbelievable! Where were the blonde haired white Puerto Ricans? I even saw a movie about the Zulu nation being casted by Africans and all black ones at that. Where is the justice? How about the movie/play "Shindler's List" casting with a casting of Jews in the Warsaw ghettos and not black people? Mercy! Mercy!

Next time I see a documentary, play, or movie about Moses and the Jews being led out of Egypt, I expect to see some Asian slaves.

It just isn't fair affirmative action didn't jump in on these inhumane acts. Man, close the Latta Plantation down. It is another Daccau! Really, I think that Americans should grow up. Nobody today had anything to do with slavery. It is history. Slaves on Latta Plantation originated in Africa. Having anything but blacks role-playing as slaves would be ridiculous. Besides, most slaves weren't brutalized.

I don't know how stupid some adults think that kids are, but I am sure that kids would be intelligent enough to understand why it would be logical for black children to play slaves in a southern plantation setting. If the teachers were smarter, they would have discussed the issue with the kids prior to selecting candidates and the issue would not have even been an issue. Lets not turn our children into ignorant appologists and challenge them to make appropriate decisions and face reality without distortion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or