Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 10:43 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,677,903 times

Advertisements

Hope they do not go to an NBA game. That could create a huge ruckus.

lln
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 02:40 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,128,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I think that the teachers in the aforementioned school district should be up in arms and picketing the play "South Pacific" whic is on stage downtown. Imagine the poor Pacific Islanders being casted by Asians and not a single "white" Asian. How unforgivable, Asians being played by Asians. My God!

What is really unforgivable was the play "Westside Story" about poor Puerto Rican gangs being casted by Hispanics. Geeezzz! Unbelievable! Where were the blonde haired white Puerto Ricans? I even saw a movie about the Zulu nation being casted by Africans and all black ones at that. Where is the justice? How about the movie/play "Shindler's List" casting with a casting of Jews in the Warsaw ghettos and not black people? Mercy! Mercy!

Next time I see a documentary, play, or movie about Moses and the Jews being led out of Egypt, I expect to see some Asian slaves.

It just isn't fair affirmative action didn't jump in on these inhumane acts. Man, close the Latta Plantation down. It is another Daccau! Really, I think that Americans should grow up. Nobody today had anything to do with slavery. It is history. Slaves on Latta Plantation originated in Africa. Having anything but blacks role-playing as slaves would be ridiculous. Besides, most slaves weren't brutalized.

I don't know how stupid some adults think that kids are, but I am sure that kids would be intelligent enough to understand why it would be logical for black children to play slaves in a southern plantation setting. If the teachers were smarter, they would have discussed the issue with the kids prior to selecting candidates and the issue would not have even been an issue. Lets not turn our children into ignorant appologists and challenge them to make appropriate decisions and face reality without distortion.
Haha... amusing post, but it kind of illustrates the opposite of what I think your intent was. This was not a professional production of Roots or The Color Purple. Those are situations where authenticity matters. A school field trip harldly compares. Somehow I doubt that the whole trip would've been ruined by having a white student or two standing in for the slaves instead of singling out the only black children present and making everyone uncomfortable. Slavery's kind of a touchy subject, y'know? This was not only foreseeable -- but avoidable. I don't know how stupid some adults think that kids are, but I am sure that kids would be intelligent enough to understand that just because a couple white kids stand in front of the class with burlap sacks slung over their shoulder doesn't mean that slaves were white.

They used black children to portray slaves. It's not the end of the world. BUT, if they had used white children it also would not have been the end of the world. Again, it wasn't a huge deal. But it would be even less of a big deal to use white students too and avoid the whole stupid controversy. How can anyone not see that? I'll repeat my line from a previous post: what would you suggest they do with an all-white class?

Old 11-15-2009, 05:55 AM

21 posts, read 68,547 times
Let's turn our back's on the whole slavery thing and pretend it never happened. It's the American way! We can't risk hurting any sensitive people with some truth. Maybe we should pretend that there aren't two wars going on in the Middle East and they will just go away. Forget all bad things and you'll be just fine. Live in your "bubble of happiness". Ignore history and the horrible truths which are contained in the pages. Better yet, change the pages of the history books to eliminate anything offensive or painful. We have to be sure not to let our children learn from any mistakes made by others. Right?

Old 11-15-2009, 07:27 AM

233 posts, read 904,705 times
Ummm......Quite frankly, I wouldn't want my children (my babies) singled out to portray a slave role without my permission. As a parent (I am not currently a parent) I would be highly offended. If this is a role that they are auditioning for, then that is something different.

I think that there are so many people that do not understand what it is like to be made to feel like 'less than' standard. Being made to feel less than standard still happens at work and at certain events. Just to think that I may have had a less than standard moment at work the same day my child comes home to tell me that they were singled out to play a slave in an impromptu rendition of the past in the South; yeah, I would be pissed.

Although, I don't think that the school should stop going there. I do think they should talk to the event planners and have a better understanding of the program in the future.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:39 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,992,830 times
It is a delicate issue. It should have been handled with more care. If student participation were part of the process; how they would be chosen should have been addressed long before hand by owners/management/teachers. The guide had no ill intent but still made a mistake in my opinion. But yes it has been blown WAY out of proportion. Acknowledge the mistake, correct it in the future and move on.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:53 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,850,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
Haha... amusing post, but it kind of illustrates the opposite of what I think your intent was. This was not a professional production of Roots or The Color Purple. Those are situations where authenticity matters. A school field trip harldly compares. Somehow I doubt that the whole trip would've been ruined by having a white student or two standing in for the slaves instead of singling out the only black children present and making everyone uncomfortable. Slavery's kind of a touchy subject, y'know? This was not only foreseeable -- but avoidable. I don't know how stupid some adults think that kids are, but I am sure that kids would be intelligent enough to understand that just because a couple white kids stand in front of the class with burlap sacks slung over their shoulder doesn't mean that slaves were white.

They used black children to portray slaves. It's not the end of the world. BUT, if they had used white children it also would not have been the end of the world. Again, it wasn't a huge deal. But it would be even less of a big deal to use white students too and avoid the whole stupid controversy. How can anyone not see that? I'll repeat my line from a previous post: what would you suggest they do with an all-white class?
My point was the ridiculousness of the issue regardless of who was chosen, period. And, that the school condemned this historical place because some black dude chose some black kids to role play as slaves. I personally don't care who was chose, but I understand picking blacks to role play as African slaves.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:09 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,128,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
My point was the ridiculousness of the issue regardless of who was chosen, period. And, that the school condemned this historical place because some black dude chose some black kids to role play as slaves. I personally don't care who was chose, but I understand picking blacks to role play as African slaves.
I agree that it's all ridiculous. And I can also see how it would make sense to make sense to some to pick blacks to stand in for African slaves. But I also see how it would make children uncomfortable, unnecessarily and avoidably. And I think we all agree that the school overreacted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSCDale View Post
Let's turn our back's on the whole slavery thing and pretend it never happened. It's the American way! We can't risk hurting any sensitive people with some truth. Maybe we should pretend that there aren't two wars going on in the Middle East and they will just go away. Forget all bad things and you'll be just fine. Live in your "bubble of happiness". Ignore history and the horrible truths which are contained in the pages. Better yet, change the pages of the history books to eliminate anything offensive or painful. We have to be sure not to let our children learn from any mistakes made by others. Right?
What in the hell are you on about? Some free advice: less alcohol for breakfast.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:11 AM

37 posts, read 64,394 times
Wow, there sure is some epic grandstanding in this thread. And a lot of feigned outrage over what should be pretty obvious to most people: that somebody could possibly be offended by having their child made to play the role of a slave.

We are talking about children entrusted to the care of the government for the purpose of education, not actors in a production of West Side Story.

Hmm, I wonder if anyone might be offended if their children were made to pray to Allah?

Old 11-16-2009, 08:45 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,269,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sadly, we have become the nation of the offended And God help you if the person you offended can afford a lawyer!D
+1
The Constitution never mentions a Right To Not Be Offended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Hope they do not go to an NBA game. That could create a huge ruckus.
NPR had a piece awhile back on was the NBA 'The New Slavery', somewhat tongue in cheek, but thought provoking nonetheless.
White owners (mostly) making the real big bucks, Black workers (mostly) making much less (although still millions).

Last edited by mullman; 11-16-2009 at 08:57 AM..

Old 11-17-2009, 04:43 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,338,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Indeed. You hit the nail exactly on the head. There was a time when something such as this would have been simply handled in an adult like manner. I get the impression that Americans in general are devolving back to a childlike existence.
Unfortunately , you are correct. LOL!! Everything from these commercials with stuntmen setting themselves on fire , and the disclaimer at the bottom to Restless Legs Syndrome has reduced lots to the intellectual capacities of 8 year olds. It is like society is catering more so to those that shine at class M as opposed to class O.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte