U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 06:29 PM

716 posts, read 1,358,638 times

Advertisements

Why not just skip the DMV? If I were you I would just keep using your out of state drivers license and out of state license plates for the next few years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 07:17 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,649,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
Why not just skip the DMV? If I were you I would just keep using your out of state drivers license and out of state license plates for the next few years

Nah, I let my conscience be my guide. Besides, I need my drivers license to get a concealed firearms license.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:38 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,700,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
Thats against the law.Too many "out of state" folks here now not operating their cars legal...gez

Old 11-15-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Thats against the law.Too many "out of state" folks here now not operating their cars legal...gez

I know someone who has driven around with out of state plates for two years. For crying out loud!: What really gets me is, insurance is cheaper here, A LOT, so WTH?

We all know some people who live in states with high insurance rates, register cars in other states for that reason. THAT pisses me off to no end

Old 11-16-2009, 01:55 PM

Okay, went to SS office today. I had a little over an hour to myself today, so I headed over to the SS office at 5800 Executive Circle.

All waiting area seats were taken and people were standing, waiting for their number to be called. The guard told me to take a number and said get to the back of the line(about 30 people on line). Apparently there are two separate service areas. The line was for SS cards and the seating area was everything else. In 45 min I took four steps. Another 20 minutes, three more steps. A lady and her 17ish year old daughter were a few people ahead of me. The daughter callapsed and fell like a sack of potatos and gets a nice sized gash on the side of her eye. The guy directly behind her steps past her as the line moves forward another pace. It's okay mister, she is only gushing blood and unconscious, go get your damn ss card!<<(i can't put enough of these here).

Anyway, the guard was there in seconds and called an ambulance and she was taken away and conscious when she left. After the commotion, there were still 20 people ahead of me and at the speed the line was going, I would have been there another 90 minutes, so I left.

The guard said it was unusually busy for some reason. I will make another attempt this week, if time permits.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:03 PM

1,511 posts, read 2,877,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
Okay, went to SS office today. I had a little over an hour to myself today, so I headed over to the SS office at 5800 Executive Circle.

All waiting area seats were taken and people were standing, waiting for their number to be called. The guard told me to take a number and said get to the back of the line(about 30 people on line). After the commotion, there were still 20 people ahead of me and at the speed the line was going, I would have been there another 90 minutes, so I left.

The guard said it was unusually busy for some reason. I will make another attempt this week, if time permits.
I know it stinks but you may just have to get to the office right at the moment of opening (not sure if that's when you tried). I've gone with people to get SS cards before and you really need to hit the place when it's first opened (at least that was my experience in Illinois). Otherwise all bets are off. Don't get me started on my DMV new license experience a few months ago. I'm pretty sure no one here wants to hear about it again!

Old 11-16-2009, 04:18 PM

45 posts, read 275,826 times
Well it's expected to take half your day waiting in any government offices, don't you know that ? But hope you'll get it eventually...

Old 11-16-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspiggy007 View Post
Well it's expected to take half your day waiting in any government offices, don't you know that ? But hope you'll get it eventually...

Actually, in recent years(within 10), anytime I needed to go to DMV(NY & FLA), I was in and out within 45 min.. Florida was amazing, I was out in fifteen.

The only other .gov office I had to deal with is Post Offices, can't complain about them.

chicagomichauds;

I can only go when time permits. Early morning is the worst time for me, I could say impossible.

My post about my experience at SS office was more of a rant on the careless POS who stepped past the girl who passed out. That's the same type of person who is probably milking the system for erroneous disability. I'm a firm believer in karma and every dog having it's day.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:35 AM

146 posts, read 415,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
Strike two for my laminated SS card
Not really true. Mine is laminated and i got my NCDL in 2008.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:16 AM

297 posts, read 502,480 times
Sorry, but I just need to vent about this.

Who the %$#& requires a social security card as proof of identity?!?!?

Of all the government documents issued the Social Security card has to be the flimsiest proof possible. It's a piece of cardboard with a number on it for God's sake. When was the last time anyone needed to show the actual card for anything other than getting a NC drivers license. Any other entity is able to take your SSN (without actually seeing it on a card) and use your other forms of ID, which would be much more difficult to forge,and match it up.

The NC DMV makes the TSA goofballs at the airport look positively practical and effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte