Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2009, 09:50 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,335,862 times

Advertisements

Not in my yard, but in our neighborhood. I understand that power companies must have a "vegetation management plan" and I also understand that the biggest cause of power outages come from contact between trees and power lines, so they have rules.... but a little common sense should tell you that these little trees pose absolutely no threat to the wires far above. But all we have gotten is a bureaucratic response that rules are rules and they must follow the rules. Apparently the trees have been a violation for years and only recently were noticed. This picture shows 2 down in the parking lot. There are about 6 more up by the road that are also slated for choppage on Tuesday. I am very sad to see these beautiful trees go. They put out the most gorgeous flowers in the Spring... think "Tidal Basin" in Washington D.C.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 11:38 AM

769 posts, read 2,219,782 times
"Vegetation Management Plans" are not simply a "local energy company" process. There are standards that are mandated at the national level, that carry some pretty hefty financial penalties for non-compliance. For a long time, there wasn't a strong enforcement system in place, but that is changing. My guess is that this is going to affect a lot of "non-compliance issues" that may have been let go in years past. And these standards don't - and really can't - allow for "common sense", or interpretation. It's like any other rule or law - there are too many trees for it to be feasible to build that much flexibility into the system, because all of a sudden, everybody's fighting for their trees.

Also, it isn't just about the management in regards to trees touching lines, but also rights-of-way, underground lines, etc. There are also distance requirements to avoid flashover, and there is a minimum line-to-ground distance, which the height of the trees would change.

Sorry for going all technical on you - hopefully somebody will plant replacement trees outside of the ROW - those trees are gorgeous in the spring!

Old 11-15-2009, 03:15 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,701,408 times
Have them plant some real LARGE ones to block the ugly, ugly, towers and cables. Now, that would be "management".

Old 11-15-2009, 04:00 PM

769 posts, read 2,219,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Have them plant some real LARGE ones to block the ugly, ugly, towers and cables. Now, that would be "management".
Until you didn't have power. I have a feeling that XscapefromNJ got to experience the Northwest Blackout a few years ago, which was caused by power lines dipping down into trees that hadn't been properly maintained.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:05 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,701,408 times
^^^^^ I hear you and agree but those towers are really ugly, aren't they?

Old 11-16-2009, 07:26 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,400,163 times
this particular case seems a little over the top in following the rules, those cherry trees will never
meet with those power lines.
meanwhile we can't get duke power to keep the kudzu off central powerlines in the back of our neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte