U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 07:47 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,711,313 times

Advertisements

There is plenty of justification why so many people do not like "yankees". Since I have lived in the area for the past year and a half, I have failed to meet a northerner that hasn't insulted southerners or the south. They don't seem to be able to function without insulting "southern" drivers, "southern" accents, "southern" restaurants, "southern" contractors, "southern" roads, "southern" mannerisms, "southern" schools, and the list goes on and on. I am a person that gets along with almost anyone, but I have come to a point that I don't even like to meet northerners as I know that there is a ninety nine percent chance of being insulted in the first five minutes of meeting the person without the northerner even being intelligent enough to know he/she is being insulting. Why don't they stop bothering us and LEAVE.

I lived much of my life in the north (Mass., Minn. and Calif.) I can think of nothing that is available in the north that isn't available in the south. I can think of very little that is better up north. Drivers are certainly no better in the north. They can't drive in snow and ice up there either. They don't seem to understand that every year, regardless of the location, there is a learning curve during the first snow, or ice storm. Since there is often only one snow in this area, we don't get past the learning curve. I remember the first snow in Minneapolis on year where there were over 300 accidents the first day.

Do some northerners really think that our accents are worse than the screechey, nasal sounding accents of many in the northeast with the misuse of the English language indicated by the use of "yous" and adding an "s" to verbs that make nonsensical words. I was once in the grocery store when a lady in line was talking to the northern check-out lady and said, "The schools here aren't nothing like they are back home". I asked where she was from. She said that she was from northern Illinois. In front of many, I said, "Didn't they teach you about double negatives in your northern Illinois school?" She was embarassed and others in the line had a good chuckle.

I know very few northeasteners that are good cooks unless they are cooking their ethnic specialty which is generally the only thing they cook well. Believe me, I know tons of people there. I visit regularly. Additionally, waiters and waitresses don't come close to southern waiters and waiteresses when it comes to being attended to. And, shut up about your crummy pizzas from home. They are just what you are used to. Try something different with an open mind.

The first thing I generally ever hear northern contractors speak of is that there are no "good, skilled" compeditors around town (they mean in the south). Unfortunately, I have had to hire southerners to redo just about everything that the great northern contractor installed and screwed up. For example, door installations, deliveries, and even boat repairs. I am having a storm door installed now by a guy from N.Y. Oh god!

Not only do many northerners have an opinon or think that they know everything, it is fun to sit back and listen to them display their "superior" knowledge which proves to be comical and wrong 99% of the time. But, they will never "not" know the answer, right or wrong.

I was reading opinions from of Americans from other nations the other day on the internet and a Brit said the following: Americans seem to have hearing problems and are very loud as if the cities from which they come are very noisy and have to talk over the noise. They seem to like to talk, but only seem to be interested in themselves and don't listen to others and constantly interrupt. They have an obvious feeling of superiority and assume they know more about the place they are visiting than the locals. They have no interest in listening to what natives have to teach them (Ie, tour guides, etc). I thought, this not only applies overseas, it applies to northerners in the south as well.

I have listened to the same old crap from outsiders for decades. Please tell your friends and relatives not to move to the south if they are going to be obnoxious jerks. If it wasn't better here, it is likely that you wouldn't be here. Furthermore, if it is so bad, you will do them a favor and tell them to stay. So please "shut up" your ignorant insults if you are guilty. We southerners are not impressed by your claim to superior intelligence. We don't admire you, don't envy you, or want to be like you. I do not know a single southerner that wants to be a yankee by the way. We like you if you simply "don't insult us". It isn't that hard.

I apologize to those that are warm, nice newcomers to the area. The above doesn't apply to you. When in Rome, do as the Romans. Yes, we are in an economic downswing. It isn't that the city or south is dying, it is because the recession hit during a time when thousands had moved here without jobs, etc. The same happened in all cities that were being inundated with growth, ie. Austin, Seattle, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Atlanta, and others. Please understand that we are "temporarily" in an economic down swing and don't come here an add to the misery.

One last thing. When you discuss problems with locals it really isn't neccessary to end the sentence so often with, "down here". Most negative experiences could happen anywhere.
We appreciate people moving here, just try to accept us and our ways. We were here first.

Last edited by vindaloo; 11-16-2009 at 08:17 AM..

Old 11-16-2009, 07:57 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,077,687 times
Do we really have to go over this subject again?

For every obnoxious Yankee, there is one who is open minded. On the other hand, for every warm, welcoming Southerner there is a redneck who doesn't want anyone to move here or anything to change.

6,772 posts, read 11,868,776 times
Umm wow. You say you just don't want to be insulted then you unload a barrage of insults on *Northerners* yourself from their accents to their cooking.

I am a great cook btw

79 posts, read 198,428 times
WOW!!! As bad as it first looks.... it's true

Old 11-16-2009, 07:59 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,035,328 times
Neither region has a monopoly on idiots.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:01 AM

3,099 posts, read 4,125,401 times
Regional strife is so 1864. This is 2009. Stop trying to be divisive.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Neither region has a monopoly on idiots.
I wouldn't say that. Y'all gave us Kelly Pickler who didn't know what calamari is!

Old 11-16-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Regional strife is so 1864. This is 2009. Stop trying to be divisive.
LOL! I don't hear a Civil War joke very often.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:08 AM

129 posts, read 299,420 times
Pot, meet kettle.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:09 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,035,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I wouldn't say that. Y'all gave us Kelly Pickler who didn't know what calamari is!
LOL! True.

And 'yous guys' gave us Joey Buttafuoco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte