U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 09:08 AM

80 posts, read 142,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 618719 View Post
I think its "the bigger the SUV, the more right of way you have".
It also depends on the make of the vehicle. For example, a Caddy has the right of way over a Chevy, and the Caddy obviously has to yield to a BMW. It's really a question of who is more important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 09:58 AM

376 posts, read 223,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromCT View Post
It also depends on the make of the vehicle. For example, a Caddy has the right of way over a Chevy, and the Caddy obviously has to yield to a BMW. It's really a question of who is more important.
Or, an issue of who inexplicably thinks they are more important. As for Charlotte's relatively poor driving, IMHO it's down to a not so great stew with ingredients absolutely from native locals, both the Carolinas, and emigres from the midwest, northeast & beyond. The former two id'd by their NC-shaped "native" & Palmetto state decals, UNC, NCSU, USC, Clemson & other NC & SC university decals, etc. and the latter by their unchanged out-of-state license plates, college & pro sports team decals, etc. If only the not so great Charlotte driving could be solely blamed on bad out-of-state drivers, and not on local wannabe NASCAR drivers, airheaded keeping up with the purported Jones' local mobile phone yappers, etc. The mixture of driving patterns, expectations, norms, etc. creates a bad driving stew.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:50 AM

11,717 posts, read 9,343,453 times
Yes... and it may be the whole state that’s guilty. Small sample size but driving out of state yesterday I witnessed a good 3 to 5 incidents that almost caused accidents in other states and every one of them had NC plates.

Maybe it’s NASCAR but for some reason these drivers cut across 3 lanes and cut off me and other drivers at high speeds when it wasn’t necessary.

Also saw a car flipped in its side. Hope everyone has a safe trip this holiday but it’s craxy how aggressive some folks are for no reason at all.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:34 AM

430 posts, read 244,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromCT View Post
Unless the Chevy is an Impala (or '90s Caprice). I have had more incidents (and accidents) with Impala drivers in Charlotte than any other model anywhere. It almost seems like most Impala drivers think they own the roads here.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:35 AM

15 posts, read 6,871 times
I've lived in Asheville, Atlanta, Oklahoma City, Dallas, Fort Worth, Orlando, Seattle, and the Charlotte area. They are all bad. It's not the area. People are distracted with updating their status on Facebook and texting friends. Too busy to use a blinker and practice common courtesy. I sat at a light for 2 cycles the other day because the driver in front of me was glued to his phone instead of paying attention to what was going on.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:56 AM

3,410 posts, read 3,197,294 times
The problem with the Charlotte area is people don't know how to merge onto highways. They slow up as cars are merging on and they aren't supposed to do that. You're supposed to maintain your speed and the car should merge on behind you.

Also, it's the worst getting on 277 in the morning from I77 south. People are forever cutting in the lane and causing accidents. If they didn't do that, perhaps it would be a little easier. I now avoid going 277 because of that.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:56 AM

7,180 posts, read 11,196,367 times
The South was a very welcome change for us when we left NJ in 1990. The roads up there had become out of control with wild driving habits.

Over the past few years, I've noticed a general decline in driving conditions around this area. Between the arrogance and the ignorance of many people behind the wheel, the roads here have become miserable to drive.

I would think if it's "this bad" here, what must the roads in NJ be like now? I envisioned Mad Max and such!

Well, I went back to NJ for a visit back in September and I was pleasantly surprised. Aside from the traffic volume (which is expected over the years), the drivers did a great job! I couldn't believe people were following the rules of the road, not blocking intersections, nor running red lights, etc.). Way to go NJ!

Old 12-30-2017, 10:49 AM

430 posts, read 244,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
The South was a very welcome change for us when we left NJ in 1990. The roads up there had become out of control with wild driving habits.

Over the past few years, I've noticed a general decline in driving conditions around this area. Between the arrogance and the ignorance of many people behind the wheel, the roads here have become miserable to drive.

I would think if it's "this bad" here, what must the roads in NJ be like now? I envisioned Mad Max and such!

Well, I went back to NJ for a visit back in September and I was pleasantly surprised. Aside from the traffic volume (which is expected over the years), the drivers did a great job! I couldn't believe people were following the rules of the road, not blocking intersections, nor running red lights, etc.). Way to go NJ!
They've all moved down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or