U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2010, 07:25 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,087,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM08 View Post
HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION, BATMAN!!

This thread is from over THREE YEARS AGO!
Blame it on Sunny. He linked to it in a post today and I ran with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 07:01 AM

95 posts, read 106,703 times
I've lived in a lot of places. Born in Alabama, lived in Chicago, Cincinnati, Washington DC, Nashville, Buffalo and now Charlotte (4+ years). I have to admit some of the worst traffic congestion I've EVER seen was in Washington DC. But Charlotte does take the cake when it comes to aggressive driving.

1. Around here people will run you off the road if you are trying to merge from an ending lane into another. They will NOT let you in. That is a Yankee, NY/NJ, DC thing. I know it because I lived in stinkin NY state and DC for separate 5 year stints. Thank god i left those hell holes behind.

2. Drivers hardly signal around here PERIOD. The few that do are transplants. That is a southern thing. You go to Atlanta and it's worse. NO-ONE signals there. When I asked a co-worker from Atlanta about this he explained "folks don't want you to know what they are about to do". Gets back to drivers being rude and not letting you merge.

3. Passing on the right. This is another one of my pet peeves. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people driving on the shoulder on the I-485 during rush hour or pulling out into the exit ramp lane (there are some long ones in south Charlotte) and racing 20 or 30 cars down the line before merging back into thru traffic. Really? Is it really worth the trouble doing this and the short distance you gain? Shakes head.

4. Racing around parking lots. I've noticed this more and more lately. Not sure where it comes from. You start backing out of a parking space and drivers just keep zipping around and behind you despite being halfway out of your space. They just don't care and aren't willing to wait for you to completely pull out. I don't know how many parking lot accidents I've seen because of this.
Another thing, a shopping center parking lot is not a racetrack, you don't drive 50 mph unless you intend to rob the joint or kill someone.....GET IT!

5. Drivers here have zero respect for pedestrians and bicycle riders around here. Be very very careful if your are A jogging or walking enthusiast. People run red lights around here like CRAZZZYYYYY....just because the light turns green and you get a walking signal don't mean NOTHIN! I've been bumped multiple times by cars because the ******* drivers weren't paying attention, were playing with their phones, doing makeup, fantasizing about my sexy body, whatever..... PAY ATTENTION *******!

6. To all the REDNECK HILLBILLIES and Mexicans with trucks. Just because you have a pickup truck does not give you an excuse to dump trash all over the highways because you lazily throw it in the back and forget about it. Beer cans, bags of trash, ....**** ends up all over our roads when the wind catches it. And for gods sake PLEASEEE tie down your ladders, construction equipment, trailers, etc. There is so much debris around the 485 from accidents and lost cargo falling off careless truck drivers and their trailers.

7. Drinking and Driving. My god I've never seen so much of this, even when I lived in western NY. As a jogger I notice the number of beer cans along roadways and I know it's people drinking and driving. Charlotte has got to have the most drunk drivers I've ever seen in one location.

8. We all know there's a lot of rich bankers and investors in this area as Charlotte has become a hub for that the last 25 years. I've noticed a large number of BMW's, Lexus, Mercedes, and other high end luxury cars whose owners feel they OWN the road and are entitled to act like maniacs zipping in an out of traffic, speeding like crazy, cutting people off, flipping other drivers the bird when they don't get their way, etc. on the 485, 77 and 85. Here's what I say to you people... **** YOU!

Last edited by laloesch; 06-23-2017 at 08:23 AM..

Old 06-23-2017, 11:27 AM

391 posts, read 241,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laloesch View Post
I've lived in a lot of places. Born in Alabama, lived in Chicago, Cincinnati, Washington DC, Nashville, Buffalo and now Charlotte (4+ years). I have to admit some of the worst traffic congestion I've EVER seen was in Washington DC. But Charlotte does take the cake when it comes to aggressive driving.

1. Around here people will run you off the road if you are trying to merge from an ending lane into another. They will NOT let you in. That is a Yankee, NY/NJ, DC thing. I know it because I lived in stinkin NY state and DC for separate 5 year stints. Thank god i left those hell holes behind.

2. Drivers hardly signal around here PERIOD. The few that do are transplants. That is a southern thing. You go to Atlanta and it's worse. NO-ONE signals there. When I asked a co-worker from Atlanta about this he explained "folks don't want you to know what they are about to do". Gets back to drivers being rude and not letting you merge.

3. Passing on the right. This is another one of my pet peeves. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people driving on the shoulder on the I-485 during rush hour or pulling out into the exit ramp lane (there are some long ones in south Charlotte) and racing 20 or 30 cars down the line before merging back into thru traffic. Really? Is it really worth the trouble doing this and the short distance you gain? Shakes head.

4. Racing around parking lots. I've noticed this more and more lately. Not sure where it comes from. You start backing out of a parking space and drivers just keep zipping around and behind you despite being halfway out of your space. They just don't care and aren't willing to wait for you to completely pull out. I don't know how many parking lot accidents I've seen because of this.
Another thing, a shopping center parking lot is not a racetrack, you don't drive 50 mph unless you intend to rob the joint or kill someone.....GET IT!

5. Drivers here have zero respect for pedestrians and bicycle riders around here. Be very very careful if your are A jogging or walking enthusiast. People run red lights around here like CRAZZZYYYYY....just because the light turns green and you get a walking signal don't mean NOTHIN! I've been bumped multiple times by cars because the ******* drivers weren't paying attention, were playing with their phones, doing makeup, fantasizing about my sexy body, whatever..... PAY ATTENTION *******!

6. To all the REDNECK HILLBILLIES and Mexicans with trucks. Just because you have a pickup truck does not give you an excuse to dump trash all over the highways because you lazily throw it in the back and forget about it. Beer cans, bags of trash, ....**** ends up all over our roads when the wind catches it. And for gods sake PLEASEEE tie down your ladders, construction equipment, trailers, etc. There is so much debris around the 485 from accidents and lost cargo falling off careless truck drivers and their trailers.

7. Drinking and Driving. My god I've never seen so much of this, even when I lived in western NY. As a jogger I notice the number of beer cans along roadways and I know it's people drinking and driving. Charlotte has got to have the most drunk drivers I've ever seen in one location.

8. We all know there's a lot of rich bankers and investors in this area as Charlotte has become a hub for that the last 25 years. I've noticed a large number of BMW's, Lexus, Mercedes, and other high end luxury cars whose owners feel they OWN the road and are entitled to act like maniacs zipping in an out of traffic, speeding like crazy, cutting people off, flipping other drivers the bird when they don't get their way, etc. on the 485, 77 and 85. Here's what I say to you people... **** YOU!
I agree with you on lots of what you wrote, however I have to defend the city by saying that you can not judge local people by local driving. Local driving is predominantly conducted by people that have moved here from other cities or countries. Most of the locals I know, know how to drive and are patient people.

I travel weekly mostly to the midwest and northeast. I can attest that American drivers are bad everywhere and there is not a worse or better place. Nobody gives turn indications any longer anywhere generally speaking either in the U.S. or Europe. I believe that people might be less likely to let another driver cut in because there are so many shortcuts that people use in order to "jump ahead" and merge in on those that have had to wait. I am guilty of not letting drivers cut in when I think that they just taking advantage to avoid waiting like others.

I believe that the worse issue I have in the area is crossing at a ped crossing when I have the ped green light and almost get hit. So many are not used to pedestrians. Overall, I see no different driving patterns. I must admit that in the midwest, it is very likely that 20 out of 20 cars in places like Wisconsin and Minnesota will all be driving in the passing lane when the "proper" lane is empty. Best remedy, have a few before getting behind the wheel. Just kidding.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:16 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,506,947 times
North Carolina ranks 28th out of all states for driver courtesy and manners

NC drivers are slightly above average in regards to manners | WNCN

Old 06-24-2017, 09:52 PM

294 posts, read 487,671 times
I'm from CA and think NC drivers are far less courteous drivers, especially when needing to merge down to 1 lane. I've never experienced such rude driving. I was almost run off the road by 3 drivers while trying to merge, and not waiting until the last minute. Cars behind me passed me on the shoulder because the rude drivers were not letting anyone in. As you know CA is traffic hell but they aren't intentionally dangerous.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:40 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,025,374 times
The biggest differences that I found from LI NY where I lived 4 years ago to the Charlotte area, are there was much more tailgating up there, but most people did use their signals. Here there seems to be a lot less of both.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:38 AM

780 posts, read 723,046 times
"4. Racing around parking lots. I've noticed this more and more lately. Not sure where it comes from. You start backing out of a parking space and drivers just keep zipping around and behind you despite being halfway out of your space. They just don't care and aren't willing to wait for you to completely pull out. I don't know how many parking lot accidents I've seen because of this.
Another thing, a shopping center parking lot is not a racetrack, you don't drive 50 mph unless you intend to rob the joint or kill someone.....GET IT! "

This drives me nuts. No pun intended. And not just backing the car out, but just walking in a parking lot. I was walking to my car in my apartment complex when a car turned the corner, speeding almost ran me over. I had to jump back to avoid getting hit. I jumped so hard, my back was hurting the whole day. I mean really, people, when driving in parking lots at least be mindful of children playing who could possibly be running in between cars.

I also noticed out here people will pull out in front of my car, almost to the point where I have to brake hard to avoid rear ending them, while there's no one behind me! Why not wait the few seconds till I pass then pull out? I don't get it.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:16 AM

645 posts, read 756,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff of London View Post
I agree with you on lots of what you wrote, however I have to defend the city by saying that you can not judge local people by local driving. Local driving is predominantly conducted by people that have moved here from other cities or countries. Most of the locals I know, know how to drive and are patient people.
What's the proposition here? People who live in Charlotte suffer from a Jeckyl-and-hyde disorder (aka borderline personality)?

All of the local people that you know are courteous, but the transplants are maniacs?

I've lived here for thirty years. During that time, I've watched the actual locally-born Charlottean move away. I know very few true "locals". Among my full-time direct-hire employees, I have perhaps three out of thirty-two who were born in Charlotte (or the Charlotte area).

Those courteous local people whom SoL knows and who drive sensibly may be representative of native Charlotteans, but those native Charlotteans are a minority.

Conversely, if what is described in the forum were really true, the roads and highway dramas would rival scenes from Mad Max. That's not the case.

I've commented on this before. The vast majority of Charlotte drivers drive sensibly (albeit a bit too fast). The common factor among Charlotte's stunt drivers is the age group. There are a lot of young, inexperienced people on the road who still believe that they are immortal and must have their way. I, too, have driven throughout the U.S.. No city or state monopolizes bad driving, but it does seem that some who move to Charlotte become dangerous when they get behind the wheel.

I have walked through cities in developing countries and have seen road behavior that defies belief. People drive on the sidewalks. They drive down alleys that were established 300 years ago, and don't understand why their side view mirrors get broken off. I commented to a Chinese engineer (in China) that a popular bumper sticker in Charlotte reads "If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk". After I explained to him what a bumper sticker is, he wanted to know why that sentence is funny.

"Everybody drives on the sidewalk."

Charlotte has no monopoly on road idiocy. It just seems that way.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:15 AM

1,455 posts, read 998,288 times
Every major city has a sub thread of "Are X Drivers the worst?!?!?!?" on city data. It is rather funny because the same complaints are in every one, and each one thinks it is a unique problend rather than a nationwide problem.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:39 AM

2,721 posts, read 1,756,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laloesch View Post

While I don't live in Charlotte, we're thinking of moving there. Everything you've described (except #s 6 & 7), I've seen in Southern California. Most of these are not just a Southern thing but perhaps it is the transplants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or