U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 04:39 PM

5 posts, read 7,084 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm new to the form and looking at relocating to the Charlotte area. My husband and I are are a young (20's 30's) couple, looking for a change of pace. We have a 2 month old little boy and are in search of a wonderful, family friendly (good schools, good people, etc) area.

We currently live about 20 miles outside DC in northern VA. It is sooo crazy around here and in order to have a home with a yard...you are looking at $600K plus....which isn't going to happen any time soon.

Here is what we are looking for (other than what is stated above).

4 brms
2.5 bths
newer home (if not new construction)
newer area w/ plenty of shopping/dining/etc.
great schools
great neighborhood with a pool etc for the little guy
at least a 1/4 acre

I have just started looking and I assume we want to be within 30 minutes (with traffic) or so of the city (for job purposes). We like the idea of being near a BIG city...but out enough to get the lifestlye we want. Dont want to be with all young single people.

Any suggestions on areas?? Also, if you could help with what we should prepare for as far as housing prices that would be helpful.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 05:08 PM

396 posts, read 1,502,766 times
It would be helpful for everyone here to know what your price range is and where you will be working?? How far are you willing to commute?? Everyone out here is very helpful. Good luck.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:36 PM

Honestly.....not really sure where I'll be working. As I said...this is very preliminary.... I'd like to stay under $350K (which is what we have now).

Old 05-14-2007, 05:49 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,695,926 times
There are numerous possibilities in your price range. Personally, I prefer South Charlotte and I think you'll find a lot of others do as well. The best thing to do is start your search for info online.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:38 PM

Thanks business....i see you are an agent. I actually work for a local builder here in dc (marketing). What builders are real popular down there? I'm thinking for job purposes.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:29 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,557,458 times
I think south Charlotte is a good suggestion -- some areas will be within a 30 minute commute uptown during rush hour. I would also consider western Union County -- that will increase your commute to 40 -50 minutes in some areas however. Also a good suggestion to check start searching online -- but for sure, come down for a visit! Best of luck to you

Old 05-15-2007, 06:09 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,119,979 times
Yep North Charlotte is terrible we only have the lake and casual living up here with way to many things to do for the kids with all the activities and such.

Of course I am being sarcastic. Both areas are great its just a matter of preference. I Prefer the water and being close to my babysitter, I mean In-laws

Do you know where you will be working? What do you like to do on your downtime etc?

Old 05-15-2007, 06:35 AM

Thanks again! I have no clue where I'd be working...I haven't gotten that far yet. I currently work for a homebuilder..so I'd like to stay in that industry, if possible. How is the job market there?

Down time.......hrm......what is that? haha We just like to spend time with the family and I love photography. My husband likes fishing and stuff though...he is much more of the out doors type of guy. But....we really just want a nice community with ammenities that is still close to things (new things). I don't like old buildings and stuff. Perhaps an area that is full of young families that is "up-and-coming" within a decent communting distance for jobs. (but like I said...I don' tknow where that would be)

Old 05-15-2007, 06:41 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,119,979 times
N.Charlotte (Huntersville/Cornelius) is mainly new buildings and such. As well as new homes.

You really can't go wrong in the Charlotte area. The things you are asking for are here. You will just need to decide on what side of town you prefer.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:06 AM

I guess we should just plan a weekend trip down to check it out. I'm watching out for jobs down there....so perhaps something will pop up!

Is the realestate market down there as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or