Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 12:08 PM

33 posts, read 252,440 times

Advertisements

Any good recommendation on a Vietnamese restaurant within 28205 area? I saw a Saigon Bistro on Sharon Amity rd, anyone ever been there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 01:36 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,845 times
Don't know if it's within 28205, but these are close:

Both Lang Van, on Shamrock, and Ben Thanh, on Central Ave. close to Sharon Amity are *awesome*! Incredibly fresh food, cooked perfectly. I dream about their lemongrass tofu! yum, yum, yum

Old 11-18-2009, 03:56 PM

157 posts, read 790,554 times
Lang Van for sure!!!

Old 11-19-2009, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_fx_35 View Post
Lang Van for sure!!!
Ben Thanh was opened by family members of the owners of Lang Van, folks who had worked at Lang Van for years. Their menus share a lot, they're both really great!

Old 11-19-2009, 05:38 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,493,390 times
I've never had Vietnamese food. What do you recommend for a newbie?

Old 11-19-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
I've never had Vietnamese food. What do you recommend for a newbie?
It depends on what kind of food you like. I LOVE their spring rolls - shrimp, rice noodles and basil wrapped in rice paper, dipped into a yummy peanut sauce.

I usually go for the lighter options - the lemongrass tofu I mentioned is a salad at the bottom of the bowl, with lettuces and sprouts, then rice noodles, topped with tofu that's been crusted with lemongrass. You get a kind of sweet & sour sauce to go over it. Holy cow, it's good!

They have soups, and hot pots - The hot pots are popular, they're pots of veg & soup, and they give you items to dip in and cook.

My son likes their yellow pancakes. Eggy crepe-like pancakes around shrimp & sprouts, you take a piece of the pancake and wrap it in lettuce.

I also like their coconut curry, which has sweet & white potatoes in a coconut curry sauce, served with rice.

They have pineapple fried rice, served in half a pineapple, that has shrimp and pineapple and onions...

Wow, I'm hungry now!! They also have more meaty dishes, with beef or pork.

One thing both Ben Thanh & Lang Van have are VERY helpful, friendly servers, they'll answer any questions you have and help you find something you'll enjoy.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:34 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,493,390 times
Thanks, CharlotteGal! We live in 28205 and drive past some of the restaurants mentioned all of the time. I live to support local businesses so we will have to stop in and give Vietnamese food a try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
It depends on what kind of food you like. I LOVE their spring rolls - shrimp, rice noodles and basil wrapped in rice paper, dipped into a yummy peanut sauce.

I usually go for the lighter options - the lemongrass tofu I mentioned is a salad at the bottom of the bowl, with lettuces and sprouts, then rice noodles, topped with tofu that's been crusted with lemongrass. You get a kind of sweet & sour sauce to go over it. Holy cow, it's good!

They have soups, and hot pots - The hot pots are popular, they're pots of veg & soup, and they give you items to dip in and cook.

My son likes their yellow pancakes. Eggy crepe-like pancakes around shrimp & sprouts, you take a piece of the pancake and wrap it in lettuce.

I also like their coconut curry, which has sweet & white potatoes in a coconut curry sauce, served with rice.

They have pineapple fried rice, served in half a pineapple, that has shrimp and pineapple and onions...

Wow, I'm hungry now!! They also have more meaty dishes, with beef or pork.

One thing both Ben Thanh & Lang Van have are VERY helpful, friendly servers, they'll answer any questions you have and help you find something you'll enjoy.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:06 AM

33 posts, read 252,440 times
Ben Thanh's food is really good (we went there a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday), but it's closed very early though. We went by on a weekday around 8pm and it's already closed. Maybe it's because of the location, who knows. We finally settled for Saigon Bistro and has some food there last night, it's pretty decent and they have very large portions. Pho is everyone's favorite, if you haven't tried it, it must be on your top list.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:46 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Did you go on a Wednesday? On the website that CharlotteGal posted it says the hours are

Monday & Tuesday
11:00 am - 10:00 p.m.

Wednesday - Closed

Thursday & Friday
11:00 am - 10:00 pm

Saturday-Sunday
10:00 am - 10:00 pm

Old 11-19-2009, 06:53 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,399,264 times
oh , we used to love van lang, that was until on the nite our two friends shared a shrimp dish that , shall we say , kept them up for 24 hours, sitting down with a bucket in their lap.
same nite my dish was served with a black hair in the food , waiter just stuck his thumb on
the plate and wiped it off and put it back down in front of me!!!

no exscuse , no notting!!
hard for me to ever gon back there, I am sure their food is still delightfull , we just had bad timing.

have eaten at Ben Thanh's many times and love the food .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte