U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 07:18 AM

50 posts, read 232,143 times

Advertisements

Salaam Charlotteans,

My husband and I are both muslims. We have been contemplatiing a move to North Carolina, mainly, because of it's beautiful climate and postiive feedback we have been receiving so far. South Carolina and Virgina are other states we will be looking into for the same reasons.

We understand Charlotte is the largest city in North Carolina and that it has a metropolitan feel to it. We have chosen to research this particular town, because it contains the most mosques (outlined below) compared to other areas in NC.

Britttany Masjid
2619-3 Milton RoadCharlotte, NC 28215

Masjid Ali Shah and School
1230 Beatties Ford RdCharlotte, NC 28216
Phone: (704) 377-4752

Masjjid Ash-Shaheed
2717 Tuckaseegee Road
Charlotte, NC 28208
Phone: (704) 394-6579

Islamic Center of Charlotte (ICC)
1700 Progress LaneCharlotte, NC 28205
Phone: (704) 537-9399
Fax: (704) 537-1577

Islamic Society of Greater Charlotte
The Plaza
Charlotte, NC 28212

We would like to know the following:

1) Are there any good public schools (for middle school) close to any of these mosques, listed below?

2) Are these mosques scattered far from each other?

3) From the list above, which are the safest areas to live for a family with children?

4) Are there any hospitals close to these mosques (I am a physiotherapist who will be looking for work in the hospital setting)?

Thank you in advance for your replies. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Haleema

Last edited by Haleema12; 11-19-2009 at 07:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 11:30 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
I would apply for a job at the hospitals here and then consider where to live once you have a job. For example, if you are working at Presby Matthews, you may choose a very different place to live than if you get a job at Presby Huntersville. Same with all of CMC's campuses.

I would also consider Winston (Baptist Hospital), Durham (Duke) as with their level of research and large imaging centers, they would also be good medical centers to work for - and nice towns to live in, as would Chapel Hill and Raleigh (and nice burbs, too).

If you haven't visited any of these cities, I would hate to see you rule them out simply on the basis of how many mosques are listed for each city. All these cities definitely do have a muslim presence - and terrific medical centers.

If you choose Charlotte and hope to be near other muslim families, I believe I would check with some of the mosques and ask where members live. I am not aware of this info. However, I have often seen women with hijabs in retail stores around the Steele Creek area, which could mean they live in that area. I hope that helps some.

Good luck on your decisions!

Old 11-19-2009, 02:30 PM

15 posts, read 24,938 times
Hi,
I saw your message about the possibility of moving you moving to Charlotte.Moderator cut: tos violation I do know that Charlotte prides itself on being very culturally diverse. One thing you may not know is that even though Charlotte is a large city, depending on where you live, it can have a small town feel.

Most of the mosques that you listed are in the same general area. As far as schools are concerned, we are very fortunate here in Charlotte to have a great public school system. There are many good schools that you could choose from in the city.

I don't want to assume that that area of town has a strong Muslim population, because I do not know, but it's a possibility and definitely something to look into. As far as the hospitals are concerned, there are a couple of hospitals within a few miles from the mosques, and the area where you would most likely want to live. If you have any other (maybe more specific) questions, please don't hesistate to ask!
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haleema12 View Post
Salaam Charlotteans,

My husband and I are both muslims. We have been contemplatiing a move to North Carolina, mainly, because of it's beautiful climate and postiive feedback we have been receiving so far. South Carolina and Virgina are other states we will be looking into for the same reasons.

We understand Charlotte is the largest city in North Carolina and that it has a metropolitan feel to it. We have chosen to research this particular town, because it contains the most mosques (outlined below) compared to other areas in NC.

Britttany Masjid

Masjjid Ash-Shaheed
2717 Tuckaseegee Road
Charlotte, NC 28208

The Plaza
Charlotte, NC 28212

1) Are there any good public schools (for middle school) close to any of these mosques, listed below?

3) From the list above, which are the safest areas to live for a family with children?

4) Are there any hospitals close to these mosques (I am a physiotherapist who will be looking for work in the hospital setting)?

Haleema

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-19-2009 at 03:18 PM..

Old 11-19-2009, 03:05 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Salaam Charlotteans,

Britttany Masjid

Masjjid Ash-Shaheed
2717 Tuckaseegee Road
Charlotte, NC 28208

The Plaza
Charlotte, NC 28212

Haleema
Haleema - while Charlotte does have some excellent public schools, they are not ALL excellent, some in fact are very high poverty and struggling. You have to live in certain sections of the city to get assigned to the best schools I'm afraid.

Those mosques are all located in areas where public schools would not be the best. If you are willing to live in other areas of the city not near the mosques let us know your price range and we can make some recommendations.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:57 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,034,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth in charlotte View Post
As far as schools are concerned, we are very fortunate here in Charlotte to have a great public school system. There are many good schools that you could choose from in the city.
Cough.
Sources needed...

We are usually in the bottom 10th of US public school systems.
A stellar school here or there (based on testing du jour), but you have to be lucky enough to live within that bus route or gerrymandered district.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:48 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,864,796 times
Moderator cut: tos violation
You should find a good balance here , even if you must send your child across town to school.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-19-2009 at 10:52 PM..

Old 11-20-2009, 05:27 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,105,221 times
Another suggestion might be to write to (or call) the mosques themselves. I know that at least one of them has a media spokesperson that seems to be very knowledgeable about the area. In fact, as I recall, he is a Charlotte native. (saw an interview with him once, however, do not recall his name...sorry). So, he could probably direct you better as far as possible private schools or the neighbourhoods that members of the mosques live in.

The actual areas that the mosques are in are not necessarily the best in Charlotte. And, our school systems are not always the best. However, there may be some schools that are connected to the mosques that might be a better choice.

Welcome to our city!! We are very diverse here, and, other than the whole job thing (unemployment is pretty high), I think that you would enjoy living here.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:03 AM

50 posts, read 232,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

You have to live in certain sections of the city to get assigned to the best schools I'm afraid.
Do you know which sections of the city these schools are located?

Those mosques are all located in areas where public schools would not be the best.
This is good to know. I'm hoping you can provide the answer to my question above.
If you are willing to live in other areas of the city not near the mosques..
We are flexible where we live. Now that we have local feedback about the mosques, our next concern is finding an apartment in a safe area and, preferrably, close to a good public school.

...let us know your price range and we can make some recommendations.
We are looking to rent a two bedroom apartment between USD600-800, if this is possible.
Many thanks again

Haleema

Old 11-07-2013, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,112 times
Quote:
Salaam Charlotteans,

Britttany Masjid

Masjjid Ash-Shaheed
2717 Tuckaseegee Road
Charlotte, NC 28208

The Plaza
Charlotte, NC 28212

Haleema
Halimma,

I am thinking about moving to Charlotte too. How did you find it?. I live in FL in Tampa. I am considering the move. What do you think about Charlotte? How is the school system?. How is the Muslim community there?. What the % of the arabs there?

Old 09-22-2014, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,571 times
we are also looking at Charlotte , we are moving from Tampa, FL.. Please let me know how you are finding your move..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte