Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 12:25 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,141,844 times

Advertisements

My sister is flying in Tuesday night. I live about 15-20 minutes away from the airport -- I took a dry run today and it took me 15 minutes from my door to the "Arrivals" row, and 18 minutes to get back home.

I'm thinking if she calls me right when she gets off the plane, I can leave then and with a little luck be pulling up within a few minutes of her having fetched her suitcase from baggage claim.

Sound about right? Or does it take much longer or shorter to get your bags at the airport? And I'm assuming that cell phones work there, right?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 12:34 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,388 times
Timm,

That sound like it would work but you never know about traffic there during the holidays. There is a cell phone lot right there at the airport. I parked there the last time I picked a friend up and it was great. Go through the traffic light and the cell phone lot is clearly marked on your right. Good luck!

Old 11-23-2009, 12:46 PM

850 posts, read 2,649,910 times
I agree with Charlotteborn.... You never know how long it could take. Cell Phone lot for sure!

Old 11-23-2009, 01:06 PM

102 posts, read 298,960 times
You should check the flight status online and make sure her flight is on time and leave your house around the time the flight is expected to land and wait in the cell phone lot till she calls you. This way you wont be driving around the place. I have done this several times when i needed to pick up friends.

And yes the cell phones work inside. And the time to collect the baggage is not much. It should be ready in around 10-15 max.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:24 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,334,845 times
Cell phone lot is great for timing a curbside pickup, but I have had lots of luck with short term parking and running in to meet my party (usually my son). Often we are so quick we are not charged for parking when we leave.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:27 PM

624 posts, read 2,107,772 times
Since pickups are right outside baggage claim the cell phone lot works.

Also the hourly lot is free the first 30 minutes and only a $1 for 60 minutes if for some reason she'd need help grabbing her bags. Just an alternative if you'd be picking up parents instead of a sister. If it were my sister, I'd probably just tell her to walk, what's 25 miles between siblings.

Charlotte Airport Parking Map

Quote:
Hourly - Garage:
  • First 30 Minutes - Free
  • Each Additional 30 Minutes - $1
  • Maximum For Each 24 Hours - $16

Old 11-23-2009, 02:32 PM

102 posts, read 298,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
If it were my sister, I'd probably just tell her to walk, what's 25 miles between siblings.

Charlotte Airport Parking Map
should remember this the next time my sis visits lol

Old 11-23-2009, 03:54 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,500,350 times
what about hanging out at that little dumpy gentlemen's club around the block until she calls heehee.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:18 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,696,757 times
CLT is going to get busier and busier as the week moves along towards Thanksgiving. I would worry less about timing it right and just hit the cel phone lot and have her call when she's outside with her bags or park in short-term and pay the up to $1 to meet her in baggage claim.

Piece of advice for anyone picking up at the airport who does not go there often: People walking across the road between the terminal and the garage / shuttle stops have the right of way. Stop at crosswalks, be patient and just wait for them to cross; don't be a jerk and cut people off with your car.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:26 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,058,777 times
I've picked up from the cell phone lot on weekdays and sometimes it is full, I imagine it's worse around the holidays. You still might have to drive around a bit. I'd pay the $1 and park if the cell phone lot is full or busy. Sometimes DH walks up to the Departures and I pick him up there if it's less busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: