U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 07:02 PM

1,511 posts, read 2,874,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetruckguy View Post
I hv been paying $114 a year for about 6 years now!!
Well you definitely have better luck than me for these things

I was just glad to get into a gym membership that did not have a contract. At least for the past few years my fees have stayed as expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 06:37 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,710,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
Well you definitely have better luck than me for these things

I was just glad to get into a gym membership that did not have a contract. At least for the past few years my fees have stayed as expected.
You can get into most local gyms without getting into a contract but the daily/weekly charges are really high.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:11 AM

830 posts, read 1,315,093 times
Depending on where you live, Athletic Club South End could be a good bet. "Higher end" gym - somewhat pricey, but a very nice facility and not crowded at all. Located off South Blvd in the South End.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:50 PM

7 posts, read 11,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiveslude View Post
Unless you are a body builder all you need is a pullup bar, a floor, a wall and a street to stay incredibly fit if youre smart, and most of the time those are free to access. Screw paying for gyms, unless you wanna meet girls with great bodies but not all gyms have those. lol

I agree. I like to do squats and some olympic lifting... cleans, snatches, etc as well and I need a gym for that.

I belong to sports and fitness on Morehead which used to be Peak Fitness, I got a special rate 20/month. I used to belong to the Y and got sick and tired of people using the squat rack to do curls with 10 lbs on a bar. Gym etiquette doesn't seem to exist there. The Y's are huge and have lots of equipment but also have a lot of people. If you measure the size of the gym the Y's are the biggest, but if you measure something like squat rack or benches per member, some of the other places are much better ratios.

I also like Crossfit which I used to belong to before I moved here. It is the best workout known to man and I used to use it to train for MMA fighting when I was younger. It is very intense and I would recommend it if you are the competitive, intensive type.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:18 PM

368 posts, read 811,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gads View Post
I agree. I like to do squats and some olympic lifting... cleans, snatches, etc as well and I need a gym for that.

I belong to sports and fitness on Morehead which used to be Peak Fitness, I got a special rate 20/month. I used to belong to the Y and got sick and tired of people using the squat rack to do curls with 10 lbs on a bar. Gym etiquette doesn't seem to exist there. The Y's are huge and have lots of equipment but also have a lot of people. If you measure the size of the gym the Y's are the biggest, but if you measure something like squat rack or benches per member, some of the other places are much better ratios.

I also like Crossfit which I used to belong to before I moved here. It is the best workout known to man and I used to use it to train for MMA fighting when I was younger. It is very intense and I would recommend it if you are the competitive, intensive type.
oh, jesus. youre one of those.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:00 PM

117 posts, read 259,654 times
I have never done crossfit but Ive seen some videos. I believe you. Looks incredibly hard. Not for me. Im too lazy to do that plus I'm happy with my figure right now anyway.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:00 PM

18 posts, read 44,774 times
I've had more luck finding places to check out here then trying to search through google..

I will see what the Y has to offer but I do enjoy group classes and such that are usually found at more of the private gyms. I've been a member of 24hr Fitness and LA Fitness in Dallas and Fitness World in Shreveport..haven't found any of those names in Charlotte anywhere but at least they seem to have a lot of options.

I also don't have a place set in stone yet as far as renting. I have an application I'm waiting on hearing back and it should go through fine but I'll look around a bit more once I've put a deposit on a place to live, lol.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:21 PM

6,953 posts, read 12,436,090 times
Im visiting the area in the next few months. I have a question on this also, because I would like to go to the gym while there. Are the YMCA's the primary fitness facility in the region? I ask this because to me YMCA means kids and lots of them. Most seem to be called Family YMCA. I have always belonged to the chain type gyms mainly adult type facilities. When I have travelled in the southern states, I always seem to be referred to Y's. I tried them and honestly Im not comfortable in a weight gym with the large amount of kids. Its seems more like a large high school type setting. I know there are other gyms in Charlotte besides the Y, but there seems to really be few for such a large city. I think I saw a Golds, but again I don't see the big chain gyms. Just curious.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:20 AM

81 posts, read 211,329 times
JimRob1,

You can get what you want at the Y. The weight rooms are rarely used by high-schoolers because they are in school. Depending on where you are going to be in Charlotte, there are Ys that are more exclusive to adults. For instance, the Ballantyne Village Y is where I work out on my lunch hour and it is only adults. The Uptown Y and the Dowd Y are largely adults as well which are right Uptown.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:33 AM

6,953 posts, read 12,436,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prouddaddy View Post
JimRob1,

You can get what you want at the Y. The weight rooms are rarely used by high-schoolers because they are in school. Depending on where you are going to be in Charlotte, there are Ys that are more exclusive to adults. For instance, the Ballantyne Village Y is where I work out on my lunch hour and it is only adults. The Uptown Y and the Dowd Y are largely adults as well which are right Uptown.

Thanks. I will go with your suggestions and try them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte