Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 03:42 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,252,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHM1 View Post
I agree... there is a local dealership I frequent to support one of my hobbies. Last year and before the only sale they had held the day after Thanksgiving and almost everything 20% off except for the very large ticket items. This year they have held a sale at least once a month. There is a TV add that runs here RUG & HOME... THE SALE NEVER ENDS..THEY ADVERTISE 20% off...lowest prices all the time. After a while the "sale" becomes normal. Be careful about the black Friday sales.. sometimes there are only 5 of the very low price items... personally I would not get up at midnight to wait on something that I have to push and shove and then go to bed early on Friday because I stayed up all night on Thanksgiving...if less people would stop doing this stupid early shopping the sale would even be better by Saturday..
It kinda like Kohls they are always having sales but if you look at the sales price it what it should be normally or the price you'll find at other stores
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 03:46 PM

174 posts, read 474,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Jay,

You need to google the term "loss leader".

Here you go: Loss leader - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You may not agree with the pricing or the timing but there is good reason for what and how they do it. Trust me, the retailers spend a lot more time thinking about their pricing structure than you do.
I understand the concept, and that concept works in other areas but NOT on Black Friday, and I'll tell you why.

Car dealerships lure you in and when that "1 Car" you saw in the ad that brought you down there in the first place and was "just sold", than you will look at some "other great deals"

On Black Friday you wake up at midnight because you have a SPECIFIC item you want on sale. A 52" Sony Bravia TV for $999....they run out...well guess what I'm not buying a 46" Sony Bravia for $999 because I came there for a SPECIFIC item.

Nobody is window shopping on Black Friday, they are going there for specific items with huge discounts.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:30 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,217,315 times
Those shoppers remind me of gullible voters. The name Black Friday is more than a little racist

Old 11-24-2009, 05:56 PM

324 posts, read 859,847 times
I have never gone out on "black friday" to shop, and I won't start now.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:58 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,252,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
Those shoppers remind me of gullible voters. The name Black Friday is more than a little racist
its only in reference to ink
are we going to become overly politically correct we cant even call a black ink pin what it is I dont think pens have emotions or care

Old 11-24-2009, 06:05 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,258,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
LoL - thx for the chuckle.

Let it be known, that I will NEVER get up earlier than I do to go to work (0515) to stand in line, on my day off, for a discount at ANY merchant.
I've never understood getting in line at Belks [or whatever] to save anything.

My TIME is extremely valuable...

Old 11-24-2009, 06:36 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,217,315 times
[quote=SunnyKayak;1176
are we going to become overly politically correct we cant even call a black ink pin what it is I dont think pens have emotions or care[/QUOTE]

LOL. I've noticed YOU becoming OVERLY politically correct on this forum in the last couple days. Have a great Thanksgiving.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:45 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,487,775 times
blackity blackity black.

I'm such a racist bastard, I said the 'b' word.

anyways, of course retailers are going to try to lure in people by throwing a seemingly good deal or two out there. some may actually be good deals, others may not, but that's the nature of retail (and the uneducated shopper/sucker). but, buh....bl...bla...black friday is also a good way for retailers to get rid of some costly inventory. prices 'should' come down in theory just based on the volume of sales that happen that day.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:08 PM

769 posts, read 2,209,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytarheel View Post
I understand the concept, and that concept works in other areas but NOT on Black Friday, and I'll tell you why.

Car dealerships lure you in and when that "1 Car" you saw in the ad that brought you down there in the first place and was "just sold", than you will look at some "other great deals"

On Black Friday you wake up at midnight because you have a SPECIFIC item you want on sale. A 52" Sony Bravia TV for $999....they run out...well guess what I'm not buying a 46" Sony Bravia for $999 because I came there for a SPECIFIC item.

Nobody is window shopping on Black Friday, they are going there for specific items with huge discounts.
Yes, but there are LOTS of shoppers who will buy other things - even if they aren't big ticket items, it's more than they would have sold if those people weren't there.

I saw an article today that said that Walmart is allowing people to camp out next to the item they want, starting Thanksgiving day - and sadly, I know people who will be trying that.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:59 PM

673 posts, read 2,670,461 times
I have been a "Black Friday" shopper for many years. I am glad there are some of you who won't come out for the sales - makes a better chance for me to get what I want. For the record, I have always been able to get the items I shopped for on Black Friday, and I have saved a ton of money. The worst place I ever went was Brandsmart - it was a complete disorganized mess. I don't think they have those stores around here though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte