Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 05:30 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,973,504 times

Advertisements

Be careful out there. As you can see in this video taken in Charlotte by a surveillance camera, people are not paying attention. Apparently the driver, drove off. Fortunately the victim survived.

(the video is graphic so you shouldn't watch if you are sensitive to such things)

LiveLeak.com - Man survives and walks away after brutal hit-and-run
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 05:57 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
I'm not saying he deserved it. The driver should be found and prosecuted. But maybe if the victim had crossed the street quickly instead of jogging in the middle of it, he might not have been hit.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:46 PM

247 posts, read 378,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I'm not saying he deserved it. The driver should be found and prosecuted. But maybe if the victim had crossed the street quickly instead of jogging in the middle of it, he might not have been hit.
I agree, no one deserves to get hit by a car - but that was a strange way to cross the street. You would think at that time of night you would be aware if there was a car that close that might hit you. It surely didn't look like he was crossing too quickly!

The driver should not have left the scene. Unless they were intoxicated or had license or insurance issues - they likely would not have been found to be liable.

That video was something though!

Old 10-10-2012, 07:09 PM

368 posts, read 945,876 times
Quote:
yep.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:22 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Yes. At a crosswalk would be nice too. That's what they are there for, you know.

The driver was wrong to leave the scene of the accident. But the guy was a total idiot that was crossing the street.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-10-2012, 09:48 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,020,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Yes. At a crosswalk would be nice too. That's what they are there for, you know.

The driver was wrong to leave the scene of the accident. But the guy was a total idiot that was crossing the street.

20yrsinBranson
It looks like he was crossing at an intersection and a weird one. And it looks like from the pattern of the headlights that this car may have been turning onto the road. If you've ever really paid attention to the way our streets are laid out, there is often up to a mile between crosswalks, so it's often not possible to use a crosswalk.

He shouldn't have gone diagonally across the road by that, but it's a big stretch to fault him for getting hit.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:28 AM

5,453 posts, read 6,044,216 times
Can't see how you can say it's a big stretch to fault him for getting hit. The road is for traffic, not pedestrians. He did everything wrong. Looked once, then crossed diagonally, taking the longest possible path/time and never looking back until the vehicle noise altered him.
That's the problem with people getting hit in this town. They figure if they're in the road vehicles OWE them a free pass. Fine, I agree, but a human body is no protection compared to a vehicle, not a fair fight. Which is easier to control and redirect, a body or a vehicle? Use common sense...... oh, I forget we don't reward that much anymore.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:02 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,973,504 times
I don't think I can blame that pedestrian for the way he crossed that road. it is really a weird intersection with no clear path to get across.

http://goo.gl/maps/BjK3y

And this area is meant for pedestrians because, as you see, CATS has 3 bus stops marked on that route.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:57 AM

5,453 posts, read 6,044,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I don't think I can blame that pedestrian for the way he crossed that road. it is really a weird intersection with no clear path to get across.

4001 Tuckaseegee Rd, charlotte, nc - Google Maps

And this area is meant for pedestrians because, as you see, CATS has 3 bus stops marked on that route.

Despite all that it's still in the pedestrian's best interest to be cautious while crossing a road that regularly has 3 and 4 thousand pound vehicles moving at 35 plus MPH.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:09 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Next time... "cross" the street instead of running in the middle of it for 20 feet. It looks like this guy was intoxicated or wanted to get hit.

I see people walking on the street next to the sidewalk all the time... Not sure why and I'm afraid to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: