Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 05:19 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times

Advertisements

I moved to Charlotte back in Sept and still have my Arkansas drivers license and tags. The reason being is that I work 8-5 M-F and the DMVs around here are only open 8-4:30. Lunch break is not an option as I only get an hour and DMV waits are usually 2-3 hours. If I am late or I miss work one time before January 1, I will be immediately terminated. How is somebody who works a M-F 8-5 shift supposed to get their drivers license in North Carolina? I called the DMV and they just said take a day off of work but that isn't an option for me. I've lived in many states, and this has to be the DUMBEST DMV I have ever had to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 06:21 PM
am2

413 posts, read 856,070 times
i agree. i hate the dmv here. i lived in NJ, PA, AR and now here and it is such a bureaucratic nightmare. i failed that stupid test like 4 times before i finally passed it.

however, you don't have to rush. i moved in Oct of 2007 and didn't get my license til jan of 08. i just registered my truck here in June.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:25 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
what did you do to deserve a termination for tardy or missed days from work for the next 5 weeks? You might "call in sick" and give them a fake doctors note .lol Or you might just need to ride the bus.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:01 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
While I am hardly a fan of the DMV here in NC, I fail to see where this one is much worse than in any other state that I've lived in (NJ, VA, MD).

Did you know that you can make an appointment with the License Bureau here?

Your boss is not willing to give you time off during the day (maybe a long lunch time one day) to do your legal duty and get a new license? What if you were called for jury duty?

Anyway, good luck with your situation.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:05 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
While I am hardly a fan of the DMV here in NC, I fail to see where this one is much worse than in any other state that I've lived in (NJ, VA, MD).
Well, when I moved from VA to MD, all I needed to do for an MD license was give them a valid VA license, take an eye-test, show some documentation, pay my fee and that was that. Took under an hour. No test involved.

To the OP - we've been here since September 2008, and I still have my MD license. Its on the to-do list for this month.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:14 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
To the OP;

This state is definitely NOT geared to the working person...wait until you have to go to the doctor!! I understand and you will just have to hang on until that time when you CAN get a day off. In this economy, do not jeopardize your job just to get a NC DL.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:24 PM

98 posts, read 618,885 times
I waited it out as long as I could because I was in a similar situation. I lived here a year before I got mine and had to end up just taking a day off after I acculmated some time off that I could use. Thought I could just breeze in there and show them my MA state drivers license pay a fee and be done with it. I am sorry but driving in any other state other than NC is really no different. Had to read that book in all of an hour to pass that ridicolous test. They didn't even have any books to hand out. Rep said we have no books to give you just get a computer and access it there. WTH if I had no access to a pc then what? Had to waste more time go home and read the book and come back later that day. Major waste of my time with the whole process.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:48 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,358,870 times
I hate the DMV here myself too. There were many more options back in IL, including Saturday hours. I wound up having to take a whole day vacation due to how long the process took. Absolutely ridiculous. Don't risk your job at the moment just for the license. What I would recommend is make sure you have valid insurance for NC, which you don't need to get a license in NC to get. That's how we did it.

Take a deep breath and just plan on wasting hours of your life at some point to deal with this silliness. Good luck.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:15 PM

518 posts, read 2,060,526 times
Make an appointment now for sometime in January (at any dmv from), when you will be able to take a couple of hours. While waiting for the appt, go on to the dmv website and review the material, take a practice test. Bring a magazine or book with you to dmv on the day of your appt, you will be asked to take the vision test at the officers desk, then will go to a computer screen (touch)....(bring sanitizer) to take the test (or vice versa). Some of the question are very old, they don't necessarily apply to driving these days. We lived here almost a year before we got ours.

Make sure when you register your vehicles you go to the correct dmv, we go to the one in Harrisburg. Ask when you call or check the ncdmv website, it has addresses and ph numbers (you won't always speak to someone though), I found the website fairly helpful.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:10 PM

4 posts, read 10,717 times
Honestly, yes you will have to wait a bit but it was an easier process plus more pleasent than any one I have ever been to in NYC. You pay, show ID, take an eye test, and your done! Be careful how long you wait though, it was not fun getting a stern talking to from a state trooper because I waited and went through a DUI stop they had set up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte