U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 08:23 AM

7,041 posts, read 12,813,594 times

Advertisements

I really hate that the only music you can get on the radio now is Christmas music and everyone is putting up their decorations already....

C'mon guys!! It's only the first part of Dec!!

My family did not put up the tree until December 24th and that was when all the cousins came over to my Norwegian grandmother's house to decorate it. We then sang carols and, ultimately, gave out the gifts.

However, the tree stayed up until Epiphany or January 8th (my other grandmother's birthday).

I just have never gotten used to the decorations going up so early. (or coming down so early either)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 08:29 AM

7,513 posts, read 6,007,063 times
everyone is different, for some in my neighborhood Christmas season started on Nov 1st, lights in the yard and tree in the window.

For us, the tree went up Friday, and it will stay up until Jan 2nd.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:34 AM

1,493 posts, read 2,776,969 times
LOL!! I agree with the music dominating the airwaves and the seemingly mindless behavior prompted by too many trips to the mall. With all of the overdriven purchases during this time of year , the term 'Black Friday' is fitting.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:50 AM

2,560 posts, read 5,943,897 times
I have started decorating. We have friends visiting next weekend and my brother in law and nephew are coming in for the x-mas holiday, so I want the house to be ready. I bought the cute Santa Wire Labrador that lights up from Home Depot and he is sitting on our porch, so darned cute!

I have an x-mas list in excel with everyone's name that I need to buy for and it's already in my purse with the purchases I have already made the last few months. I mark down the item and cost so I know what I've spent so far. That way I don't forget what I already have and when I wrap I'll know if I missed something.

I also need to start making my photo x-mas cards. I shoot photography and I make my own cards. Everyone looks forward to them every year and so many have kept and framed them. They are a lot of work but I love doing them.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:59 AM

9,113 posts, read 15,300,815 times
I have mixed feelings about this.

Part of me doesn't like it that stores have christmas stuff going up practically around halloween, and it has gotten worse over the years.

We put up our tree already and have decorated the house. Is it early? I used to think so (I thought people were crazy to put up their decorations right around Thanksgiving), however I've had a change of heart over the past couple of years after having kids and the joy that they get when they help put them up.....

I don't think there's a one answer fits all here....

Old 11-29-2009, 09:15 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,265,344 times
I think Jack is right - one size does not fit all.

My family tradition was built on the church calendar. Our Christmas tree went up the night before the first Sunday in Advent, which means we had a tree up essentially right after Thanksgiving. And it stayed up til 12th night (or Epiphany).

I have always followed that tradition until I moved to the midwest, where the tradition in our town was to start putting up Christmas decorations on Thanksgiving afternoon, while family and/or friends were gathered around. It often was already snowing by then, so folks didn't want to wait any later into December, when there could be a blizzard or two, wh/ would make putting up decorations outside very difficult.

I loved that tradition as the snow would reflect the lights so beautifully every nite and our whole town looked magical for the entire season.

Since moving back here, we always intend to put up decorations outside the weekend after THanksgiving but have managed to do that only once. While I was out walking my dog this morning, I noticed three of my neighbors are starting on their outdoor decorations. I expect by the middle of the week, everyone will have theirs up.

I take down my outdoor decorations as soon as I can after Christmas, but my tree always stays up til 12th Night.

RE: Christmas decorations in stores . . . I saw stuff out before Halloween this year, which depressed me, lol. Just too soon. And I don't want to hear Christmas music any earlier than three weeks before Christmas, but that is just me. I know plenty of people who like hearing it earlier, but it seems like rushing things when radio stations start playing Christmas music 24/7 right after Thanksgiving.

I have a sinus infection and bronchitis, it appears, so I don't really feel like dealing with decorations today. However, if I feel better this evening, I will want to tackle at least some of the outdoor lighting. To me, Tis the Season - today is the first Sunday in Advent. :-)

Old 11-29-2009, 09:32 AM

11,836 posts, read 24,970,208 times
I have my grandmother's little ceramic Christmas tree sitting on the credenza in my office. It sat on the bar the rest of the year. We have no other decorations up. Usually my wife goes nuts & decorates to the nines, but my refusal to "help" put anything back in their boxes after Christmas has made that a thing of the past. No lights on the house either.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:38 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,265,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I have my grandmother's little ceramic Christmas tree sitting on the credenza in my office. It sat on the bar the rest of the year. We have no other decorations up. Usually my wife goes nuts & decorates to the nines, but my refusal to "help" put anything back in their boxes after Christmas has made that a thing of the past. No lights on the house either.
Y'all need one of those fold up Christmas trees that comes w/ all the lights and decorations included. It folds up kinda like an umbrella. You just flip the arms out and plug in the cord. After Christmas, unplug, fold up, stick in its bag and put in the garage, attic or closet.

VOILA! Instant Christmas, lol.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:10 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,707,203 times
Somewhere between the time when I was a kid to now Christmas decorating has gone from a lighted tree and maybe a wreath on the door, to yards filled endlessly with electrified Chinese made plastic junk so the home now looks like a Christmas at a cheap shopping mall. I guess people are free to do as they please as there are other things more important to worry about, but it sure is a metaphor on today's society.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:15 AM

615 posts, read 1,467,952 times
It just proves my point that some people complain about the over commecialization of Christmas, some people complain that Christmas isn't commercialized enough, some people complain that other religions are commercialized too much, etc., etc. People are going to complain. Noone can make everyone happy so you just have to do what is right for you and your family!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or