Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 03:54 PM

70 posts, read 160,139 times

Advertisements

When I picked my son up from school today he was crying because of something that happened at school today. He is 9 and is not a crybaby at all. I want you to know first off, that in all of his schooling he has never had issues with anyone and has always been a pretty popular boy, so this is not normal for him at all, and I am really concerned.

Apparently, on the first day of school a boy said he couldn't play football with him and the other kids because he was white. This in itself really bothered me, but I let it go, told my son to let it go and stay away from him. Which I believe he tried to do.

I don't know if anything else happened or was said during the rest of the week, but today another huge thing happened and in my eyes it is really inexcusable and I believe this boy needs to be punished.

After talking to my son apparently this boy was messing with him and his friends, chasing them around and taunting them. Then the boy told my son he was going to "take him to the mountains and shoot him and cut his head off and blood will be everywhere." He said he was going to kill him and all of his friends. Then the boys started saying fight! fight! and my son says, "I don't want to get in trouble," and the boy called him a sissy and said his mom is ugly.

What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 04:01 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,142,116 times
Hmm. Depends. What does his mom look like?

Seriously though, I'd do nothing. I'd chalk it up to boys will be boys and move on. Of course, I'm a boy, so what do I know? I'll bet my answer won't be the most popular one.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:05 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,871,066 times
I would contact the school first, then find out who his "parents" are. This is racism and intimidation, and no kid should have to deal with it. Teasing is one thing, but this is hate. Kids that are raised by trashy, racist parents will be trashy and racist. The other kids' parents probably tell their kids that white people hold them back and are out to get them. This angers me to no end. Let the school know what is going on and hopefully they can keep an eye on the kids that are doing this. Then they should call child services for an evaluation of the homes of those kids.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:08 PM

533 posts, read 1,833,441 times
i am so sorry your son is dealing with this. what district? i definitely recommend meeting with your sons teacher ASAP about this issue and see what they can do about the problem. if you are not satisfied with their reaction see the principal. i would also contact your son's school counselor (if not in CMS because CMS elementary schools do not have school counselors). if in CMS contact the SSS person and they may be able to help as well. perhaps the counselor can do some classroom guidance lessons in his class on bullying and follow up with your son. also, the counselor should check in with the bully. if you are in CMS remember that they have the new bullying policy that holds the school---teachers, principals, everyone involved---legally accountable if they ignore the bullying and the situation escalates to violence (this student has threatened violence already, so better safe than sorry on their part). union county may have a similar policy, but i am not sure. good luck. i am curious to know how the school handles this situation as i am a school counselor intern.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
Hmm. Depends. What does his mom look like?

Seriously though, I'd do nothing. I'd chalk it up to boys will be boys and move on. Of course, I'm a boy, so what do I know? I'll bet my answer won't be the most popular one.
yeah, not my fave answer. boys will be boys? do we tell victims of domestic violence that men will be men? i sure hope not. her son is being victimized---that is what bullying is---it's a form of victimization that can have negative effects on the victim for years to come. i hope the school takes action and resolves this situation. schools should be a safe place for children, not a place that children fear because of the way their peers treat them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
I would contact the school first, then find out who his "parents" are. This is racism and intimidation, and no kid should have to deal with it. Teasing is one thing, but this is hate. Kids that are raised by trashy, racist parents will be trashy and racist. The other kids' parents probably tell their kids that white people hold them back and are out to get them. This angers me to no end. Let the school know what is going on and hopefully they can keep an eye on the kids that are doing this. Then they should call child services for an evaluation of the homes of those kids.
i would not recommend call child services, they cannot do anything about the situation and there is no indication that there is abuse in the home. they would not do any type of evaluation on the homes of these kids based on what's happened so the call would be screened out. the kids are probably a prodcut of their environment and hopefully with the right guidance at school they can learn to treat others with respect. i don't see how spewing hatred toward their parents would help the situation.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:56 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
Seriously though, I'd do nothing. I'd chalk it up to boys will be boys and move on.
Racism and intimidation - especially at age 9 - is not "boys being boys". That just does not hold water when it comes to this little thug. I would definitely contact the school about this little piece of trash.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Racism and intimidation - especially at age 9 - is not "boys being boys". That just does not hold water when it comes to this little thug. I would definitely contact the school about this little piece of trash.
you just called a child a little piece of trash.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:16 PM

70 posts, read 160,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacey3eb View Post
It's sad that little kids can be called that, but little kids can bring guns to school and shoot my son. It's happened before.

It's the upbringing that is trash, and unfortunately it trinkles down. After about 5 though, kids are what they are taught and trash is as trash does.

I'm taking this up with the teacher and go from there. My kid is an Honor Roll, TD student who likes school and things like this can ruin him forever.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
i don't see how spewing hatred toward their parents would help the situation.
Who said anything about "spewing hatred" toward their parents? These kids are doing that. These kids are a product of their environment, as said, and the parents are obviously not doing the responsible thing. True, my statement about calling child services is probably a little much, but if some people who are parents today would learn some decency and respect, and pass that on to their kids, problems like this would be far less.

BTW, the right guidance you speak of is desperately needed for kids - but it starts at the HOME with the PARENTS. It is not the full responsibility of the school to guide these kids in life. Sure, schools and teachers play a role, but the parents should be given some swift "guidance" themselves.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Figure of speech, maybe? When he grows up, he'll be a big piece of trash, if things don't change. A big piece of trash that was raised to hate and intimidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte