Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 05:53 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Ya call that winter?

I do.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 05:59 PM
amp amp started this thread

519 posts, read 1,515,276 times
So, most thus far have indicated to "form your own opinion" and yes I understand what other people like may not be what I am looking for. I have my own opinions and I have been there, what I am looking for are things that are great about the city that I havn't been made privy to yet. All I keep reading are that complaints, I want to read why this city is so great! I have lived in NYC, DC, and small towns in upstate NY, I have liked the idea of Charlotte because they seem to be a nice mix of both city and small town living.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:00 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
I do.........
Then you need to experience one of those stretches where the temperatures don't go above 15 degrees with windchills in the single digits. Or the snow storms where you get 6-12 inches (or more). This ain't winter. December- March is more like a "sorta-kinda spring".

Old 05-16-2007, 06:02 PM

286 posts, read 946,122 times
Ask yourself why you are considering the move?
What you are willing to sacrifice with the move?
What you will gain from the move?

Dont move here just because alot of people have come here,it is not for everyone. I have been here for 2 weeks and just feel like i am home.
Good Luck, be sure before you make a move. EVEN if you are not sure, try it, leave your comfort level, Change can be great and will allow you to grow.
Come on down.
GOOD LUCK

Old 05-16-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Then you need to experience one of those stretches where the temperatures don't go above 15 degrees with windchills in the single digits. Or the snow storms where you get 6-12 inches (or more). This ain't winter. December- March is more like a "sorta-kinda spring".
This is definately another reason we are looking to move here! We know the type of winters where it can still snow in mid May!

Old 05-16-2007, 06:18 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
ok...here is what I (and I emphasize I) like and don't like here

Weather
Friendlier people
Weather
Cheaper housing
Weather
Close to beach and mountains
Weather
Good restaurants and bars if you do that sort of thing
Weather
Urban feel but not overwhelming
Weather
Very clean city
and finally did I mention I like the weather

Dislikes:

Too much traffic!
Crime is a bit high
Roads keep changing names thus confusing the hell out of me
DREADING July and August heat (you'll find me inside thank you or at a pool)
South Charlotte is too crowded (moving to Gaston county)

There you have it , my likes and dislikes.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
ok...here is what I (and I emphasize I) like and don't like here

Weather
Friendlier people
Weather
Cheaper housing
Weather
Close to beach and mountains
Weather
Good restaurants and bars if you do that sort of thing
Weather
Urban feel but not overwhelming
Weather
Very clean city
and finally did I mention I like the weather

Dislikes:

Too much traffic!
Crime is a bit high
Roads keep changing names thus confusing the hell out of me
DREADING July and August heat (you'll find me inside thank you or at a pool)
South Charlotte is too crowded (moving to Gaston county)

There you have it , my likes and dislikes.
THANKS!! This is the kind of post I am looking for! So hopefully more will post like this

Old 05-16-2007, 06:40 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Welcome

By the way, on the crime part, i have had NO problems. I go by the fact that the local TV loves to cover any crime and ALL crime. You will know about all of it. If you stay away from certain areas , you'll be fine.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:34 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
amp if u search the boards a little more You will find the majority of people who love it there compared to the ones who dont, this forum is what made me more aggressive on where we wanted to live, we had ruled out 4 other states as well as visiting them and it never felt right especially to me..dh he dont care where he lives as long as it is out of NY or NJ..lol...but wit all my family and friends here it had to be right for us...the kids and I leave to start our new life in Union county as of May 31st and cant wait..dh has been working there and just loves it...for me it felt like Home...so keep reading u will find it however you need to go for yourself and see if it is even remotely somewhere u would want to live..I agree with Xray you have to want the move for the right reasons for us its giving us a chance to start over...I hope u find what you are looking for....

Old 05-16-2007, 09:17 PM

435 posts, read 1,814,596 times
For me-

Close to the mountains
I have friends here

Dislikes:
Weather (I love the cold)
Summer months of heat & humidity
The roads we drive on (not kept up)
The drivers on said roads
Overcrowding of certain sections of town
The traffic is bad- for this town- especially when you compare it to just a few years ago.

I know its a short list...

This is really the only place I know. I lived in the 'burbs of Chicago for abt. 5yrs- then we moved here. I was gone for 6yrs (undergrad & grad school). The majority of my life has been spent here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte