Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 12:02 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,159,911 times

Advertisements

Actually USAir did go belly up a couple of years ago. Technically we have America West Airlines here now, but they changed their name to USAir when they took over the remains of that previous airline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 12:25 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,435,226 times
That's what I mean...the name of USAir is too big to disappear. Someone would buy them under the "wing" of their established company and either change their name or do like United has done where it's "United Airways operated by _______." In the same boat, that company would be a fool to release a grip on CLT's market of tons of business flights daily and connecting flights all over the world.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:48 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,779,393 times
I think RDU has lower rates overall, especially since they have Southwest. We need them here in Charlotte. But CLT has always been good to me.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
IMO, I think Chapel Hill has a reputation for being a much more upscale place and which has better educational opportunities than a bedroom community in South Carolina, but others may feel differently.
That bedroom community in South Carolina has some of the best schools in the region, which is why more people are making the move from Mecklenburg County into York County than vice versa.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:17 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,087,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
That bedroom community in South Carolina has some of the best schools in the region, which is why more people are making the move from Mecklenburg County into York County than vice versa.
Correct. I know folks who will tell you straight out that the reason they chose York Co over MECK was schools. Then they usually mention taxes, as well.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:26 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,656,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
It was explained to me once (possibly on this very forum) that because CLT is a USAir hub, many connecting flights go through here. If we hop onto a plane here in CLT, we're effectively canceling a potential seat from some other previous city that was connecting here and continuing on...kinda like we hoped the train halfway through the ride, but they had to save us a seat anyway.

This is supposed to explain why someone can connect through CLT and get a cheaper flight than us flying direct from CLT to the same destination (even on the same aircraft as the other person).

Doesn't make sense in my non-business mind...
I believe I am the one who posted that. As that was how it was once explained to me by someone who worked for USAir when I asked why it cost twice as much to fly from BWI-CLT than from BWI-GSO with a connection through CLT...however, that was maybe 3-4 years ago and I don't think that is the case any more. Much in the same way flights used to be priced based on the round trip fare, but now you can see the individual prices for each segment.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:32 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,159,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I don't dispute this, but the comment was versus Chapel Hill not Mecklenburg.

I was referring to the fact that someone living in Chapel Hill would be eligible for instate NC college tuition rates, eligible for the kids to apply to the NC School of Science and Math (which is located in the Triangle), and close by are UNC, Duke University and NC State. It's also next to Research Triangle Park where many of America's high tech firms have major installations. Hence there is a lot of local spillover from this into the local school system.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Yeah but they are doing the rope a dope on you. 2 years ago they didn't have all the fees for everything like they have now. As far as I know, Southwest is one of the few airlines that doesn't do this.
Not really, as far as I'm concerned. I'm well aware of any additional fees at the time I book a flight so no wool is getting pulled over my eyes; but maybe that is due in part to the fact that I'm not a groundling so I know what all of the various fees are to begin with. Plus I have gold status with US so even if I do check a bag (not on business trips tho - I can do a week with roller bag and my laptop case), I don't have to pay for checked baggage; and I can get on earlier flights with no standby fee and I also get upgraded to first about 50% of the time so even the alcohol is free there.

I cannot recall the last time I paid a dime over what my initial ticket purchase price was.

And, as we also once discussed in a past thread - the reason for all of the little fees is because if an airline simply tacked an extra $20 - $30 on to the price of every ticket and gave you all of the amenities for free, they'd lose a ton of business because too many people think they should be able to fly coast to coast for under $200 round trip and get every amenity under the sun and be able to check half a dozen free bags.

I think you are correct that Southwest does not do that....but, personally, they are the airline of last resort for me.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Some folks will argue that the many fees charged today by airlines are warranted and fair...that we were lulled into a false sense of affordable fairs for the past decade. I refuse to believe this, especially when I see SWA doing it and getting along just fine.
Well - with SWA, they never took the huge financial hit that most of the other major carriers did over the past few years when airline fuel started spiking in price. As they actually had cash, they were able to pre-pay for their fuel and lock in lower prices and, as a result, were spending a lot less for fuel than the other majors who did not have the capital to pre-pay and had to pay current market prices as costs skyrocketed. That was the major reason SWA stayed profitable and did not have to cut amenities or start charging fees for them. Although they did get in a lot of hot water with the FAA over the past couple of years due to some serious issues regarding maintenance of their aircraft so maybe that's where they cut their own costs. They had enough dough to pay off their fine to the FAA for failure to perform required safety inspections ($7.5 million).

now we can talk about all of the reasons why so many of the big legacy carriers wound up in that position to begin with, but that's getting way OT.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I don't dispute this, but the comment was versus Chapel Hill not Mecklenburg.

I was referring to the fact that someone living in Chapel Hill would be eligible for instate NC college tuition rates, eligible for the kids to apply to the NC School of Science and Math (which is located in the Triangle), and close by are UNC, Duke University and NC State. It's also next to Research Triangle Park where many of America's high tech firms have major installations. Hence there is a lot of local spillover from this into the local school system.
I was just sticking up for Fort Mill since you seemed a bit flippant with your "bedroom community in SC" comment. If the OP is interested in good schools for his/her children, Fort Mill is most certainly a viable option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte