U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-02-2009, 06:47 AM
 
2,820 posts, read 4,913,733 times
Reputation: 2535

Advertisements

City looks at hosting Democrats' convention - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/breaking/story/1085515.html?mi_pluck_action=comment_submitted&qwx q=1583992#Comments_Container - broken link)

This would be great 'exposure' for Charlotte if we could just land the bid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-02-2009, 08:22 AM
 
7,104 posts, read 9,698,581 times
Reputation: 2564
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
City looks at hosting Democrats' convention - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/breaking/story/1085515.html?mi_pluck_action=comment_submitted&qwx q=1583992#Comments_Container - broken link)

This would be great 'exposure' for Charlotte if we could just land the bid.
Maybe not. It costs more than a bushel full of $$$$$$$ to host a convention. Does CLT have this kind of money?

And what kind of value does CLT gain in its' "exposure"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2009, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
2,739 posts, read 4,737,702 times
Reputation: 739
makes sense with all the flaming liberals moving to CLT from the Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2009, 01:18 PM
CVP
 
581 posts, read 1,588,857 times
Reputation: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
makes sense with all the flaming liberals moving to CLT from the Northeast.
Troll from Jacksonville, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2009, 02:11 PM
 
7,104 posts, read 9,698,581 times
Reputation: 2564
Back to subject thread: Any ideas on whether or not the city of CLT could support something like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2009, 04:11 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Back to subject thread: Any ideas on whether or not the city of CLT could support something like this?
I just don't think Charlotte is big enuff to host a Democratic or Republican convention.

I know it shuts down a city . . . can't see where anyone would benefit from that. But then- the economic development council and I don't always see things the say way.

Getting the "prize" isn't always a "prize" if it costs a city to get that "prize."

They should go to Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2009, 04:16 PM
am2
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
413 posts, read 743,750 times
Reputation: 146
I say go for it! why not? of course we can handle it. we've got the facilities, the hotels and things to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2009, 04:24 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by am2 View Post
I say go for it! why not? of course we can handle it. we've got the facilities, the hotels and things to do.
Have you ever BEEN to a national convention? I have and I cannot even begin to fathom how Charlotte would handle that many people plus the chaos these conventions cause.

But honestly - I guess I shouldn't even voice my concerns. I live in the burbs and it won't matter to me how nuts it gets uptown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2009, 06:02 PM
 
7,104 posts, read 9,698,581 times
Reputation: 2564
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I just don't think Charlotte is big enuff to host a Democratic or Republican convention.

I know it shuts down a city . . . can't see where anyone would benefit from that. But then- the economic development council and I don't always see things the say way.

Getting the "prize" isn't always a "prize" if it costs a city to get that "prize."

They should go to Atlanta.
Ani---100 % of what I was thinking. Think about the cities that "got an Olympics" then found out what the bottom line was when it was all said and done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2009, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
7,041 posts, read 13,104,253 times
Reputation: 2323
As one who lived during the infamous 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago...the concept makes me shudder...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:31 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top