Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 07:05 AM

18 posts, read 50,590 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to Charlotte in January and have checked for some of the major chains we have here but haven't found any so far in Charlotte.

I also have dogs and my fiance and I love to go hiking with them, any dog-friendly areas, especially nice places to take photographs at would be wonderful as well. I plan to check a few out I found online but would love an opinion from others.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 07:29 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,360,641 times
Welcome to Charlotte! Most people that I know join their local YMCA. I was unsure about that when I moved: I was paying an arm and a leg for a private gym back in Illinois. However, the amenities of the Morrison YMCA, the one I go to, absolutely blow my other gym's out of the water completely. And the key for me is that their group classes, namely the boot camp type classes are hands down far superior to my old ones back home. Plus they are already included in the cost of membership. I strongly recommend the YMCAs as a gym as well as for youth sports (a different thread!).

Old 11-24-2009, 07:52 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
YMCA is the best around, IMO. I haven't actually been to other local chains but I have been to them in other cities and the Y beats them. If you will work near Gateway Village, that is a good one to go to because it is less crowded.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:05 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Agree with CHIMICHAUDS and BS13690 - the Y is one of the best values in this region. Lots of classes, great facilities. There are also personal trainers here in town and other private gyms. But I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the Y - all the branches are really nice.

There are parks here and also lots of areas outside the city which are great for getting out w/ your dog or for hiking w/ your BF. Also, mountains are nearby and there are gorgeous areas to hike and take photos.

You won't have a problem finding plenty of areas for outdoor recreation.

Good luck and welcome to Charlotte!

Old 11-24-2009, 08:37 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,398,734 times
I like the YMCA as well, but I go to Energy Sports and Fitness. Great gym, fairly new and never crowded. Your gym should be close in proximity where you live, I don't want to have to drive more than 20 minutes.
Energy Sports & Fitness (http://www.energysportsandfitness.com/trainerfinder/websites/60061/charlotte/index.html - broken link)

Old 11-24-2009, 09:17 AM

569 posts, read 1,409,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan9 View Post
I'm relocating to Charlotte in January and have checked for some of the major chains we have here but haven't found any so far in Charlotte.

I also have dogs and my fiance and I love to go hiking with them, any dog-friendly areas, especially nice places to take photographs at would be wonderful as well. I plan to check a few out I found online but would love an opinion from others.

Thanks!
It really depends on what kind of gym you want to join. The YMCA does offer a lot of extras that most gyms do not. I go to Planet Fitness (mainly because of the price). It's only 9.99 per month and since they have added free weights it is more appealing. They do have a lot of rules though...such as the no grunting or dropping of weights rule. Like I said I put up with the rules mainly because the price is right. Here are some gyms below and my opinion for what it's worth:

Planet Fitness A gym that the price is right on but it is not really geared toward serious lifters.
Welcome to Peak Health Another option a little higher priced which is more geared towards free weights.
Fitness Factory of Charlotte - The real deal. Here you will find no massage chairs or juice bars. Just plain old fashioned free weights and machines inside of a warehouse that is open 24/7. This place mainly focuses on training for people that are serious so if you are looking to socialize you should probably look into the Y or Planet Fitness.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:23 AM

777 posts, read 2,568,018 times
The Y has good facilities but it is fairly expensive for a family (like $90+). If you use all the facilities (like the pool, classes, lessons, etc) it is a good deal. If you just using the weights or cardio, I would stick to something like Peak Fitness.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:02 AM

368 posts, read 945,876 times
If all you're interested in is weights/machines/personal training, fitness factory is easily the best gym in Charlotte. I've been a member there for a few years and will never go back to peak/YMCA/golds again. As the above description states, it's located in a huge warehouse near uptown and is stuffed full of all the equipment you would ever need. The best part is the membership is small, so it's never crowded and you never have to wait for anything. I've never seen more than maybe 6 people training at once. The owners are personal trainers and I believe one is a nutritionist or RD as well, although I'm not sure of their exact certifications. I think I pay $35 a month. It's also open 24/7.

There is a dog park near uptown as well. I believe it's near the Carolina panthers practice fields.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:55 PM

3 posts, read 11,070 times
Crossfit...3 locations in Charlotte

Old 11-24-2009, 12:57 PM

18 posts, read 50,590 times
WOw, thank you for all the replies this has been so helpful!

I will check out the Y but I do have a feeling i won't be using all what is probably available.

It would most likely be me and my fiance joining the gym, i'm more into the cardio, especially spinning classes, kickboxing, dance, etc... but I do like free weights for strength training. I just enjoy staying in shape and when it's too nice of a day to be stuck in a building I enjoy running/hiking so I love all the trails and parks i've read about so far..it's such a beautiful state, i can't imagine staying inside too often!

My fiance however would probably be more into free weights and strength training. He'd be happy with just a treadmil or something for cardio.

I currently live in Shreveport, LA and lived in Dallas... Louisiana has little to offer and is generally unappealing as far as outdoor activity. Dallas is a bit congested but definitely a lot to do.

I had awful luck googling gyms so thanks again for the links and the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte