U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-03-2009, 04:05 PM

7 posts, read 8,710 times

Advertisements

While out house hunting in University Heights, we got a little lost, and drove through some new construction that is between there and Faires Farm. All I remember is the sign for town homes from 90K. Anyone know the name of this development? It's driving me crazy that I can't find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 03:49 PM

17 posts, read 84,632 times
I know it is/was Portrait Homes. I don't see it on their website.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:15 PM

16 posts, read 25,351 times
Before construction started, it was called the Villages at Back Creek. I'm not sure if that name stuck once construction started.

As was mentioned above, it was a Portrait Homes community with mostly townhouses and a few single-family homes. However, last time I looked, Portrait was no longer building there (or anywhere in Charlotte, for that matter). Things may have changed, but I don't think any construction is currently going on in there. If it is, that's great. If it's not, I have no idea when/if it'll resume again.

I assume another homebuilder will pick up where Portrait left off someday, but it could be months or even years before that happens. On nearby Caldwell Road, DR Horton pulled out of three neighborhoods (including two brand new ones) simultaneously last April. They just returned to one of the neighborhoods within the past couple of months, while Lennar started construction in one of the other neighborhoods recently. For more than a year though, no new homes were built in these communities, which sat more than half-empty. If you do consider purchasing in the Villages at Back Creek, just be aware that what's there now may be all that's there for a little while.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:42 AM

7 posts, read 8,710 times
Thanks so much. I'm really leaning toward the townhouses in University Heights, but since that was so close by I wanted to check it out when I came back to Charlotte to look again.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:20 PM

16 posts, read 25,351 times
If you're looking specifically for a townhouse in this area, you may also want to check out The Townes at Old Stone Crossing, which is just a little bit down the road from University Heights. My wife and I live in Old Stone Crossing, and we love it here. The Townes at OSC is a separate community accessible through OSC itself, and has its own HOA and pool. Since we live in the single-family-home part of the neighborhood, I can't speak much about The Townes at OSC, but I do know that the townhouses were built by Portrait Homes, who also built the homes in University Heights and The Villages at Back Creek. There are currently about a dozen townhouses listed on the MLS, ranging from 1,000 square feet and no garage for $75,000 up to 2,700 square feet with a two-car garage for $195,000. HOA dues are comparable to University Heights' ($145 per month vs. $140 per month for UH), but the homes are several years newer.

Depending upon your price range and what it is you're looking for, there are also several new single-family homes being built in Old Stone Crossing. Ryan, Lennar, and Timberstone/Westport Homes are all building new homes in different parts of the neighborhood. Timberstone and Lennar homes start in the $130s, and the Ryan homes start in the $140s. All of these include garages and driveways, if those things are important to you, and start around 1,400 square feet. The HOA dues for Old Stone Crossing are $440 annually, paid in two installments of $220 each. This is significantly lower than the townhouses, but covers only neighborhood maintenance - your lawn would be your own responsibility.

Regardless of what you decide, good luck with your search. If you have any further questions about the area or anything, feel free to send me a direct message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: