U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 08:52 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,451,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by am2 View Post
there's a republican in congress name john boner
Quote:
theres a republican in congress named john boner
There's an echo in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
As a parent in the Mint Hill area I am not all that worried but as a 15 year old girl I definitely would not want to tell people I go to Ho High School
Why would the 15yr old girl tell people she went to 'Ho' High School...she doesn't?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 09:23 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,066,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Wow. Hate much?
I can't say as I hate Kirk but I do feel sorry for anyone who thinks that a banana is scientific proof of Creationism.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:00 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,665,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
There's an echo in here.

Why would the 15yr old girl tell people she went to 'Ho' High School...she doesn't?!
OK well I guess you took me in a literal fashion. To clarify for you I meant, that as a 15 yr old girl I would not want to have to tell people I go to what is jokingly known as Ho High School. Is that better?

Old 12-05-2009, 04:30 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,271,391 times
Quote:

I'd rather be John Boner than Dick Boner.

And I'd rather be tall or overweight as well. The last thing you need with a name like that is being short and skinny.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:05 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,922,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
OK well I guess you took me in a literal fashion. To clarify for you I meant, that as a 15 yr old girl I would not want to have to tell people I go to what is jokingly known as Ho High School. Is that better?
I grew up in Myrtle Beach which is in Horry County. Granted this was in the 60s and 70s when there was some measure of people being expected to operate in a mature manner. Adults now should know better than to make jokes like that, kids should be taught better. If I had made a joke like that when I was a kid I would have been quickly introduced to the back of an adult's hand.

I would hope the girl had been taught the history of the name and then to shrug off any criticism as silly juvenile thinking. Unfortunately it sounds as if the kids have taken over even though they are in adult bodies.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:15 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
Quote:

I'd rather be John Boner than Dick Boner.

And I'd rather be tall or overweight as well. The last thing you need with a name like that is being short and skinny.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:46 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,065,343 times
Don't forget about NASCAR driver Dick Trickle.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:03 AM

15,847 posts, read 30,255,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
oh my!

I'm sure you all giggled like I did, but this article makes some interesting points concerning the naming of the new high school in Mint Hill

I should be comfortable saying 'My name is Richard Boner' - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/viewpoint/story/1087332.html - broken link)
It took me the longest time to figure out what the controversy was with the high school because I have always pronounced the name Hough like "Huff". In fact, I worked for an attorney in Corpus Christi for a time named Hough and it was a little comical to hear how people "tried" to pronounce it. Then I realized that the Hough in this article was undoubtedly pronounced "Ho" and that is where the controversy comes in.

The only problem I can see is that "other" schools (such as those who are team rivals) are going to take this and run with it. Of course, they are going to say that people who go this school are a bunch of Houghs (Hos) and there will probably be some hard feelings.

That's high school for you. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-05-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
Don't forget about NASCAR driver Dick Trickle.

I could never say his name with a straight face. Ever.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:50 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,665,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It took me the longest time to figure out what the controversy was with the high school because I have always pronounced the name Hough like "Huff". In fact, I worked for an attorney in Corpus Christi for a time named Hough and it was a little comical to hear how people "tried" to pronounce it. Then I realized that the Hough in this article was undoubtedly pronounced "Ho" and that is where the controversy comes in.

The only problem I can see is that "other" schools (such as those who are team rivals) are going to take this and run with it. Of course, they are going to say that people who go this school are a bunch of Houghs (Hos) and there will probably be some hard feelings.

That's high school for you. LOL

20yrsinBranson
That was my point as well. As I remember it High School had almost nothing to do with anyone taking the "high road". I still do not think it is enough reason to not honor the man but I do empathize with what might happen to the kids who will attend the school. Funny thing is that the kids may not have ever thought about it until the adults made such a fuss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or