Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 02:11 PM

3,306 posts, read 8,559,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoNC View Post
I forgot to mention that both the elementary and the middle school day is half an hour longer here than in FL (at least in Union County). Additionally, everyone in Union County qualifies for bus transportation. In Broward, you only qualify if you live more than 2 miles away from the school.
In NC county school systems can deny you bus transportation if you live 1.5 miles or closer to school, but most kids get picked up and bused to school anyway, unless you live right around the corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 05:00 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,168,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia1997 View Post
Hello,

We have also lived in Broward County in Parkland. Now we are in California but moving to Charlotte in the summer. South Charlotte seems to me like Weston or Parkland as well. Anybody experience with Rea Elementary? And what about the Weddington Elementary?
I have two children at Rea View Elementary (5th grade boy and 2nd grade girl) and I am very happy so far

Old 01-07-2008, 05:14 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,168,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
In NC county school systems can deny you bus transportation if you live 1.5 miles or closer to school, but most kids get picked up and bused to school anyway, unless you live right around the corner.
From what I understand, you are a "walker" if you are within a certain distance, BUT the streets must have sidewalks, otherwise you are entitled to transportation.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:32 PM

116 posts, read 418,133 times
FLtoNC: Well, all these places are great to live! I hope Charlotte will be as well.

SouthCharlotte: That's great to hear. We would have a child in 1st grade in fall 08 and next year another starting kindergarten. Are they building another elementary in the area? I guess we could be redirected. We really like the Longview Country Club so far.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:42 AM

12 posts, read 28,873 times
Default Moving from the Fl Keys

We are just starting our search of the Charlotte area. Our priority is schools. Elem and middle. 5 yrs ago we had "a" great school. But now anything is a step up.Quality teachers , accelerated programs,challenging academics would be a welcome change from here. Private school is an option for us. The other things that are appealing are the water (lake Wylie area) but we like idea of well established area with built in infrastructure, something like south park??
Can anyone recommend schools in these areas? My husband needs to be near the airport (within 20 miles).

Old 01-08-2008, 06:56 PM

4 posts, read 4,147 times
Default Try Hawk Ridge Elementary

My son had a very good experience at this South Charlotte elementary school. When Elon Park opened this Fall he was transferred there, but its not as good. The Hawk Ridge principle has retired, but its a former Blue Ribbon School with great discipline and a commited PTA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte