Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 08:58 AM

39 posts, read 178,742 times

Advertisements

Has anyone from South Florida moved to Charlotte in the past few years. We have two elementary aged children and we are moving to South Charlotte this summer. We presently live in Broward County (Weston) and the public school system is acceptable. We visited a few of the elementary schools in South Charlotte (McKee, Providence Springs, Hawks) and they seem , again seem, compatible if not better based on scores and feel. I was wondering if anyone on this board is familiar with this issue and can comment on the level of education in the South Charlotte area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 09:40 AM

876 posts, read 3,792,173 times
Weston has pretty much the best school system in Broward County FL. The thing I dont like about it is the amount of money you have to spend to LIVE in Weston to send your kids to their schools. Why spend $500K on a house and $1,000 a year in taxes and insurance when you can have a house twice as big in NC, pay 1/3 of the taxes and next to nothing for insurance? The schools are decent, but I think with all the growth in South Charlotte, the schools are (or already are) going to get overcrowded.

That is why we moved to a more rural part of NC, but still close to the city if we need to be there. The schools are far from overcrowded out here.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:14 AM

673 posts, read 2,680,052 times
Default Weston vs. South Charlotte

I just moved here from Pembroke Pines and was a teacher for Broward County. I am familiar with the Weston Schools. We bought in Union County, because of the reputation of the schools and the lower property taxes. I have one child in elementary school here and one in middle school. The middle school is overcrowded, but will be relieved of some of this overcrowding next year. I am pleased with the schools here thus far. Both of my kids seem to think the curriculum is more advanced here than in FL. I can't comment too much about Mecklenburg Schools, but the South Charlotte area is very nice, and parts of it remind me of Weston. I think you will find that the schools are comparable. I hear many people complain here about trailers (we called them portables in FL). As long as the teachers are good and the class sizes aren't too big, it doesn't bother me that my child has several classes in a trailer. It's no different than it was in Florida! Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:16 AM

Default More info...

I forgot to mention that both the elementary and the middle school day is half an hour longer here than in FL (at least in Union County). Additionally, everyone in Union County qualifies for bus transportation. In Broward, you only qualify if you live more than 2 miles away from the school.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:25 AM

38 posts, read 152,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
That is why we moved to a more rural part of NC, but still close to the city if we need to be there. The schools are far from overcrowded out here.
Where about would this be and why would you choose that as oppose to say Union?

Old 05-17-2007, 11:57 AM

876 posts, read 3,792,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINS View Post
Where about would this be and why would you choose that as oppose to say Union?
We wanted to be on Lake Norman, but could not afford the high prices of Mooresville lake property. So we ended up on the west end of the lake just on the outskirts of Denver in Sherrills Ford. The schools are hardly crowded here and there really is little to no traffic.

It isn't the suburbia of Union County, but then again we didnt want that. We wanted to be a close proximity to towns and major shopping areas, but also wanted to be able to come home and relax without the hustle and bustle of life.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:17 AM

2 posts, read 6,756 times
Default Sherrills Ford Elementary, Catawba Co Schools

I have to disagree with the last reply. Catawba County schools are overcrowded at at 110% capacity. There are 4 mobile trailers being used at Sherrills Ford Elementary, and there are no plans to improve the school.

Also, look at NCreportcard.com, you can see the poor profiency of the various schools.

Our daughter will start school in the fall and she will be going to private school.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:07 AM

396 posts, read 1,630,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantstogotoday View Post
Has anyone from South Florida moved to Charlotte in the past few years. We have two elementary aged children and we are moving to South Charlotte this summer. We presently live in Broward County (Weston) and the public school system is acceptable. We visited a few of the elementary schools in South Charlotte (McKee, Providence Springs, Hawks) and they seem , again seem, compatible if not better based on scores and feel. I was wondering if anyone on this board is familiar with this issue and can comment on the level of education in the South Charlotte area.
We have friends who have kids at Providence Springs. They are thrilled with the school and, in fact, refer to it as their "free private school". Just make sure that they have room for any/all of your kids before you write the check for the house Good luck.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:33 PM

116 posts, read 417,978 times
Hello,

We have also lived in Broward County in Parkland. Now we are in California but moving to Charlotte in the summer. South Charlotte seems to me like Weston or Parkland as well. Anybody experience with Rea Elementary? And what about the Weddington Elementary?

Old 01-07-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia1997 View Post
Hello,

We have also lived in Broward County in Parkland. Now we are in California but moving to Charlotte in the summer. South Charlotte seems to me like Weston or Parkland as well. Anybody experience with Rea Elementary? And what about the Weddington Elementary?
We have a lot in common as I have lived in all 3 places you mentioned as well. I moved here 9 months ago from Broward County, worked for the school system in Broward & also here in Mecklenburg. Parts of South Charlotte do resemble Weston. The schools you mentioned are in Union County. Rea is new, and I have heard good things about it. I have a child at Weddington Elem, and have been pleased so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte