U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 03:01 PM

5 posts, read 7,474 times

Advertisements

Hello
I want to find a class on canning. I garden each year, but Waste so much food i could be canning. i want to know the full process. Any Advice?
Thanks,
Tomas of Mooresville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 03:09 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,923,688 times
I can't give any advice on a class, but if you can't find one, learning to can isn't hard to do from the stuff you can find on the Internet. If you are a gardener, I recommend getting a pressure canner. It's much faster than a water bath canner, a lot of vegetables absolutely require it, and it produces a superior product. You will also want a jar puller and a jar funnel. Both of these items can be a bit of a challenge to find in Charlotte, but not as hard in the surrounding area.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:20 PM

7,104 posts, read 9,697,599 times
I would recommend the following book: Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving.
I saw it at my sister-in law's house a few weeks ago.She bought it for me on Amazon. Got it last week and it's like the bible of canning.

As an aside I went to Walmart in Hilton Head 2 weeks ago for jars and lids. Store clerk said they are putting out inventory on April 1.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:16 AM

149 posts, read 218,399 times
Anyone canning this summer for the upcoming winter?

I miss canning with my Mama! These are the things she cans:

Corn
vegetable soup
figs
apples
beets
peaches
sweet and sour pickles
saurkraut
pumpkin
tomatoes
tomato juice

will think of more later.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:00 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbecue_is_a_noun View Post
Anyone canning this summer for the upcoming winter?

I miss canning with my Mama! These are the things she cans:

Corn
vegetable soup
figs
apples
beets
peaches
sweet and sour pickles
saurkraut
pumpkin
tomatoes
tomato juice

will think of more later.
All I am planning on doing this year is tomatoes . . . but if I came upon a good deal on other veggies - especially cukes - I would do some pickles, too.

Unfortunately, I do not have a garden this year. I miss those wonderful home-canned veggies, too.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:45 PM

686 posts, read 1,414,304 times
I am going to make some pickles! I am also freezing tomatoes and tomato sauce.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawks91 View Post
I am going to make some pickles! I am also freezing tomatoes and tomato sauce.
What kind of pickles, Jayhawks? Do tell!

Old 07-13-2011, 03:28 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,785,214 times
I've already canned some pickles (kosher dill slices) and getting ready to make some homemade hot sauce from the bounty of hot pepper coming in. In a couple of weeks it will be crushed tomatoes. Thinking of making some homemade ketchup this year.

Going to replant the garden this week to get some lima beans to can before the first frost sets in. Beans require a pressure canner if you think you want to do this. I also use the pressure canner for tomatoes because it is so much faster and results in a better product than water bath canning.

I'll probably go find some peaches soon, to make into jam.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:57 PM

686 posts, read 1,414,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
What kind of pickles, Jayhawks? Do tell!
I am going to make Red Pickles {or that is what we call them}...they taste similar to watermelon rind pickles. My grandma used to make them.

I also might make these.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawks91 View Post
I am going to make Red Pickles {or that is what we call them}...they taste similar to watermelon rind pickles. My grandma used to make them.

I also might make these.
Very nice, Jayhawks! The Red Pickles sound quite interesting. I don't think I have had watermelon rind pickles.

Now, the other pickles are a variation of what we always called "Refrigerator Pickles." I love making those - my family really enjoys them.

TY for sharing the recipe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte