U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2009, 06:58 PM

4,072 posts, read 9,067,331 times

Advertisements

I see a good number of houses on the listings that seem very nice. newer, 3+ bedroom houses on a 1/4 acre. Which is great.

My question to you is, are these houses in good neighborhoods? I would like to be on a block full of friendly people who have jobs, keep up their property, and are not uptight... These houses appear very nice, are they generally in good neighborhoods?

Also what is typical of the cost paid to your HOA if you are in one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 07:37 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,542,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I see a good number of houses on the listings that seem very nice. newer, 3+ bedroom houses on a 1/4 acre. Which is great.

My question to you is, are these houses in good neighborhoods? I would like to be on a block full of friendly people who have jobs, keep up their property, and are not uptight... These houses appear very nice, are they generally in good neighborhoods?

Also what is typical of the cost paid to your HOA if you are in one?
Under $150,000 in Charlotte you'll have to be a little careful. Homes can be found in that range, just not always in the best of neighborhoods with the best of schools. When you narrow it down to some particular neighborhoods that appeal to you, come back and tell us what they are so we can tell you what we know

Old 12-05-2009, 07:43 PM

4 posts, read 9,546 times
Default we did!

We just had a home built for the upper end of that price range...

4bd, 2.5 bath
2 car garage
.25 acre (not typical of rest of the lots in the neighborhood, most around like .15ish)

Moderator cut: sorry must have 10 or more posts to make specific recommendations

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-06-2009 at 06:26 PM..

Old 12-05-2009, 09:38 PM

5 posts, read 24,132 times
I know that some spots in NW and East Charlotte are not ideal for everyone. You can take a look here What are the bad neighborhoods to avoid in Charlotte? . Take a look here at the crime map CMPD.org (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CMPD/home.htm - broken link) Hope this helps some with the decision.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:06 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,479,562 times
I have lived in 3 neighborhoods in Charlotte in 6 years... one in east Charlotte where the homes were selling in the $90K-$110K range - then moved to another in the $120-$160 range - now living in my third, where they are more like $170 - $220.

There is a definate change in feel among these neighborhoods... The first one was made of vinyl-sided 1980s housing on 60 foot lots. Part of the reason I moved out, was because I felt like everything was so close together, that it wasn't much of a step up from just renting an apartment. (But the house itself was fine, and was the only one of the three I've lived in that had a garage, despite being the *least* expensive.)

The one I'm living in now, is the one I'm most satisfied with. I don't need a huge McMansion... but I did want enough separation from my neighbors that I didn't feel like I'm being "watched" every time I went to the mailbox, and can step into my own back yard without causing neighbor's dogs to bark. It's a nice 1970s style ranch on a half acre, still within 485 and convenient enough for most in-town errands.

I guess in summary: my opinion is that you can get housing under $140K, but it will come with compromises. You might, like me, decide that you can't get used to the compromises... and end up moving again in 2 or 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or