U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 07:05 PM

285 posts, read 652,472 times

Advertisements

Looking for a high speed or DSL service for internet. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 07:32 PM

2,314 posts, read 1,997,663 times
Bellsouth if you can get it 6 years and up 100%

Old 05-17-2007, 08:30 PM

7,886 posts, read 17,325,523 times
we are using windstream (cable modem) dh refuses to go DSL...

Old 05-17-2007, 10:35 PM

113 posts, read 414,365 times
They explained to me there is a difference between cable and DSL, although the speed might be the same, but you'll have Main computer hooked up to a wire, the Other computer will get the same speed with DSl without affecting the speed of the Main computer, while with cable the bandwidth splits between the computers, so it might get slower the more computers get on it.
Anyhow, I'm with Bellsouth DSL, I am not too happy.
Then you might think of the cost factor. You can't have DSL without having a land phone (so you pay for it separately) while with cable you can...and they also offer you a digital phone (just in case you do need a land phone)so it might sound like the cable deal is better...only my land line is $27 a month and a digital phone is $40. Cable Vs DSL is also more expensive.
anyhow this is a total nightmare once you decide to make a choice...

Old 05-17-2007, 10:40 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,374,633 times
I love my bellsouth DSL
they techs are idiots so don't get it for that reason but if you have a problem like I did with my modem, if you yell justs right the guys at the call center in the Phillipines will transfer you to a supervisor who is in the US of course and take care of it.

I wish I had access to Time Warner cable but its not available in my neighborhood. Not that I would imagine their customer service would be much better.

The best hope for getting help with your problems is having a friend NOT calling in to the company.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:04 AM

527 posts, read 1,597,819 times
We have both Bell South DSL and TW cable. My wife works on the DSL and I work on the cable. We are both hardwired into wireless routers. My cable drops oh, I'd say 2 to 3 times per day for a few minutes at a time.

We have some redundancy here since my wife and I both work at home. We can swap to one anothers network wirelessly if our own connection is down. I'm constantly swapping from hardwired cable to wireless dsl but my wife rarely has to swap to my cable wirelessly (twice in 4 months).

If it weren't for the hassle of rewiring my voip phones to work with the dsl, I'd drop cable. Just my opinion though and could vary depending on your location. I'll probably switch to DSL at some point as it seems to be more stable and hardly ever down.

Adelphia 8 meg service was awesome and I never had any issues. When they bellied up and TW took over, the service went to hell. I downgraded to 3 meg service since I rarely get over that speed anyway and was paying for 8 meg service. I can't blame TW for not putting too much money into upgrades and repairs as the towns have them in limbo by trying to decide whether or not to purchase the old adelphia setup.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:15 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,613,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh View Post
We have both Bell South DSL and TW cable. My wife works on the DSL and I work on the cable. We are both hardwired into wireless routers. My cable drops oh, I'd say 2 to 3 times per day for a few minutes at a time.

We have some redundancy here since my wife and I both work at home. We can swap to one anothers network wirelessly if our own connection is down. I'm constantly swapping from hardwired cable to wireless dsl but my wife rarely has to swap to my cable wirelessly (twice in 4 months).

If it weren't for the hassle of rewiring my voip phones to work with the dsl, I'd drop cable. Just my opinion though and could vary depending on your location. I'll probably switch to DSL at some point as it seems to be more stable and hardly ever down.

Adelphia 8 meg service was awesome and I never had any issues. When they bellied up and TW took over, the service went to hell. I downgraded to 3 meg service since I rarely get over that speed anyway and was paying for 8 meg service. I can't blame TW for not putting too much money into upgrades and repairs as the towns have them in limbo by trying to decide whether or not to purchase the old adelphia setup.

Hmm, I was considering doing what you're doing- I have Alltell DSL and was contemplating getting TWs 8meg service. I guess I can try it for 90 days and see how it goes, although to get almost a 3rd of the max download bandwidth is a little dissapointing...

Old 05-18-2007, 09:10 AM

527 posts, read 1,597,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Hmm, I was considering doing what you're doing- I have Alltell DSL and was contemplating getting TWs 8meg service. I guess I can try it for 90 days and see how it goes, although to get almost a 3rd of the max download bandwidth is a little dissapointing...
Yeah, unfortunately lots of times my bandwidth will drop down below 300k typically when voip starts breaking up I know it's low. It might just be limited to my area though.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:46 PM

187 posts, read 588,278 times
High speed via TWC

Old 05-18-2007, 03:58 PM

2,152 posts, read 5,938,427 times
I have High Speed Cable through TW Cable and love it. I've never had an issue with it dropping or slowing down. it is lightning fast. It may depend on which area you are in and how congested it is. Everyone I know in Clt has TW high speed. I used to have AOL High Speed through Time Warner and just dropped it for Roadrunner service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte