Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 06:31 PM

58 posts, read 127,613 times

Advertisements

Being from Minnesota, which is where the clean air, non smoking, regulations/laws started 30 years ago I can attest to to the feeling of interference one feels when a government steps in and limits smoking. I quit smoking myself 13 years ago, and have never felt the need to belittle one for lighting up. It was a habit I LOVED.

That being said, it's not true that businesses like bars and restuarants will suffer. There is an initial backlash, then everyone goes back to their old haunts and habits. One just gets used to the status quo. There is light at the end of the tunnel. And I'm not talking like a "former" smoker.

If New York city and Los Angeles can do it, so can North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 07:04 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Call me crazy, but the overall slumping economy might be playing a bigger role in this decline than the smoking ban, don't you think?

We have good friends that smoke and they don't seem to have any problem still going out to eat or to the bar. I'm sure it's an inconvenience compared to the old laws, but I don't think it's enough to stop people from going out.

I could be wrong, though.
I think you're right about that Hooligan. My better half and I certainly have no issue stepping outside to smoke when we go out (yes it does suck a bit when its really cold outside) but its not that big of a deal. We lived in and around MD when the bans went into effect in those places, I don't think I saw much of a decline in crowds at our usual watering holes, and other friends who smoked did not stop going out. I think its obvious, even from reading this board, that lots of people simply do not go out as much as they used to for economic reasons. Although we may skip out on returning to the bar at Bentley's on 23....having to now go 23 floors down and out to the street to smoke does seem a bit much.

That said - I do agree with bcsofnc that it should be up to the owners of the individual establishments...but I think I've said my piece on that in this thread enough without re-iterating it.

Last edited by Tober138; 01-06-2010 at 07:12 PM..

Old 01-06-2010, 07:10 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
I don't think that USAir thing is going to last much longer.

"private clubs - country clubs or organizations with selected membership - which are operated by the membership, have non-profit status, and provide restricted food and lodging services"

I guess that in the current economic environment, USAir could be considered a non-profit.
The USAir clubs are not a non-profit organization (although USAir may be not-that-profiable). Annual memberships run between about $210 - $300 (certain discounts apply to preferred US Air members), are not selective (anyone can join if they pay) and are not operated by the membership.

However, several years back, the USAir club in Philly did close their smoking lounge when PA went smoke free. We'll see.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:18 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,502,054 times
1st time in a bar tonight since the smoking ban......no smokey......me rikey.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:26 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsofnc View Post
Public establishment? Why do you have a problem with freedom of choice? Why do you feel you, government or anyone else has the right to tell a privately owned business how they run that business?

I can't change what has happened(at least not on my own) but it does not making the anti smoking law right.

As to protecting non smokers from smokers, that was always in the hands of the non smoker. They always had the choice of not going to establishments that allowed smoking.

Democracy has nothing to do with what goes on in someone's private property.

Where I work are sales were less than half what they were last year at the same time as a result of the rediculous government control over private business.

Perhaps you will be very happy when every aspect of your life is government controled.
The people tell the government what they want and the government creates laws or policies as such. By your logic, public establishments would be allowed to ban blacks or Jews as they see fit. Way back when, a lot of people decided they had a problem with that and lobbied the government for change.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:24 PM

339 posts, read 715,691 times
I was just thinking about how I might actually get to go out and have some fun on Valentines Day.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:19 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times
next the non-smokers will be whining how the prices in restaurants have gone up and it will be due to
less patrons. oh well........

Old 01-07-2010, 05:30 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
next the non-smokers will be whining how the prices in restaurants have gone up and it will be due to
I'd like to see any evidence of this happening in any other city that has imposed similar laws.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:41 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
See I see the opposite happening. Restaurants bowling alleys bars will see an increase from patrons who avoided those establishments because of it allowed smoking

Old 01-07-2010, 05:53 PM

231 posts, read 576,759 times
Quote:
Yeah right. It will be the opposite (more patrons because the restaurant has fresh air throughout finally), as which has been the case with other places who have enacted these types of bans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte