Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 11:59 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,166,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
So glad your kitty cat is back. Would he have caught the collar in something and pulled it off? I hate to think that somebody was going to keep him so am trying to think of reasons as to him not have his id.
I know what you mean. I have even had worse thoughts than someone keeping him - I thought - what if they don't like cats and they cut off his flea collar and his red ID collar and tags so they could report him as a stray and have animal control pick him up.

Well, hubby and I are baffled, b/c we purposely got a collar with a bell that broke away if he got tangled. But that flea collar - they are hard to get off even when we want to change it to a new one. I have been cutting those flea collars off my cats for about 20 years, rather than struggle with trying to remove it using the buckle. If he had just lost his ID collar, I would assume he got tangled in something. But both of them . . . I hate to think sinister thoughts about someone in my neighborhood, tho! My immediate neighbors also have cats and they all live very peaceably but stay pretty much in their own yards. We have one cat that hangs out at our house a lot with our cat.

He sticks pretty close to home - he plays around our house and decks and in the woods behind our house. Unlike most cats, he comes when we call and if he wants in, he comes to either the front or back door and meows. He is a very good boy.

I guess the next thing to do is replace the licenses/ID but I believe he is going to have to be chipped. Haven't other folks posted that animal control DOES scan all animals for chips? At least this way, if the idea was to make him look like a stray - he would have some protection and not get euthanized (that scares me so).

I know I sound paranoid to suggest someone would want to keep him, but I had a sheltie (beautiful show dog) that bolted during a thunderstorm (two decades ago) and when I accidentally located her two weeks later, two ladies were keeping her and the only way I proved she was my dog was her tags were all right there on her collar, intact! They had not bothered to remove them, but they had not bothered to call me or the vet, either! Instead, they were out walking her on a new leash like she was "their dog." Pretty stunning occurrence.

They said they just hadn't noticed she had tags on her with both her city registration info and her name, my name and tel #.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 03:20 PM

Just talked to my parents in Mooresville and they have actual snow. We don't have snow here in S. Charlotte. What's it like where you are??? Is it just gonna be icy out there - no snow?

Stay safe on roads!!!

Old 12-18-2009, 03:22 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,801,894 times
Ani I am so happy your kitty came home, that's great news!

When we were in CA and for the first few years of Boo's life he would lose at least a collar a month! He was always showing up with a naked neck. We never did find out what or where he was that he was losing them all the time.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:33 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,169,679 times
I am at the Lake at it is has been snowing here for quite some time now. Actually got some sleet around 8:30am and it has been doing that on and off for most of the day. Around 3:30 it changed over to partial snow, and I noticed that by 4 most of the ground had turned white. It's been snowing and sleeting quite hard for the last hour or so.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:38 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,425,814 times
Just rain in Steele Creek.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:57 PM

7 posts, read 17,218 times
Duke has 13,000 homes without power and that number will grow as the night goes on. Make sure you have candles and food ready in case yours goes out. Try to stay warm everybody and pray for the best.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:24 PM

22,192 posts, read 29,207,240 times
I spoke to the ex and he said it's snowing in Concord. I sure do miss that and having the fire and some hot chocolate

Old 12-18-2009, 05:46 PM

58 posts, read 135,620 times
Talking hope your found your cat

I hope that you have found your cat. I have spent a few nights looking for one of mine and then one afternoon I heard something scratching on the front door and there he was, waiting on me to let him in. I then purchased my cats all matching colors and paid a lady to embroider my cell phone number and their names into them.

Last edited by beverlysmithscott; 12-18-2009 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-18-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
Ani I am so happy your kitty came home, that's great news!

When we were in CA and for the first few years of Boo's life he would lose at least a collar a month! He was always showing up with a naked neck. We never did find out what or where he was that he was losing them all the time.
These cats! Maybe it is nothing and he just figured out a way to get his collars off, lol! He is happy to be inside tonite. I was soooo worried about him getting lost w/ bad weather coming on! He is a feral rescue kitty . . . and he was rescued in a freezing rain storm - that turned to snow later that nite! Son found him under the house - he was barely weaned - so tiny he fit in a ladies' size 7 shoe - too small to even eat food. We have had quite an adventure keeping that little fellah alive.

It appears to be raining here right now. I just stuck my head out the door and it is a cold, penetrating rain where we are. I couldn't tell if it was rain mixed with freezing rain/sleet.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamqueeninc View Post
Duke has 13,000 homes without power and that number will grow as the night goes on. Make sure you have candles and food ready in case yours goes out. Try to stay warm everybody and pray for the best.
I missed hearing any reports this evening about outages. I hope those folks have their power back and not more dealing with an outage. Seems to be fine here in my neighborhood. Hope everyone is staying warm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte