Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 05:36 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,038,729 times

Advertisements

Thoughts? Good/Bad/Ugly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 06:30 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,135,399 times
we have it and love it. we have not had any problems. my husband put rain-x on the dish when we first got it and it only goes out during the heaviest storms and usually only for a minute. you can switch your programming anytime too; for example, when True Blood was on we had HBO, then we canceled and signed up for Showtime. the season of Dexter is over now, so we just canceled that too. It's so much cheaper than TWC!! We have all HD programming on 3 tvs and only pay $59/month. Unfortunately we had to keep roadrunner, but I downgraded to basic and have not noticed a difference in speed at all. It's $34/mo instead of $50. When we had TWC tv and roadrunner we paid $125/mo. Now with Dish Network and roadrunner we pay $93/mo. It's totally worth it. TWC sucks.

edited to say we also have 2 DVRs. You can watch your DVR programming even if the satellite is out in a storm, but like I said, that hasn't happened often to us!

Old 12-20-2009, 06:35 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,872 times
We have it and love it. Cheaper than DirectTV and well cable is out of control.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:39 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,038,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
we have it and love it. we have not had any problems. my husband put rain-x on the dish when we first got it and it only goes out during the heaviest storms and usually only for a minute. you can switch your programming anytime too; for example, when True Blood was on we had HBO, then we canceled and signed up for Showtime. the season of Dexter is over now, so we just canceled that too. It's so much cheaper than TWC!! We have all HD programming on 3 tvs and only pay $59/month. Unfortunately we had to keep roadrunner, but I downgraded to basic and have not noticed a difference in speed at all. It's $34/mo instead of $50. When we had TWC tv and roadrunner we paid $125/mo. Now with Dish Network and roadrunner we pay $93/mo. It's totally worth it. TWC sucks.

edited to say we also have 2 DVRs. You can watch your DVR programming even if the satellite is out in a storm, but like I said, that hasn't happened often to us!
Coastal, thanks, this is what I wanted to hear...because, obviously, I know about the 12-month promo pricing, but, wanted to know what it would be full price.

anyone else?

Old 12-20-2009, 06:48 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,212,299 times
I've had Dish for over a decade. Never had any reason to go back to cable. I use naked DSL (no phone service needed) for internet.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:04 PM

104 posts, read 177,494 times
We have had Dish for years now and they are awesome. Just be sure to get an HD DVR - you'll never go back to the positively archaic systems the cable companies use.

The whole thing about the signal going out when it rains is totally a marketing gimmick of the cable companies. It is true, but only during the heaviest of torrential downpours or thickest of blizzards (moved from MI) will it go out momentarily. 99.99% reliable. I'm sure if you compared uptime to the cable companies you'd have similar reliability numbers due to technical outages.

They may be a bit pricier if you want to hook up multiple TVs to DVRs, but IMHO there is no beating Dish for TV service in terms of quality of service and technology.

Now if FiOS ever came to town it might be a different story...but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:43 PM

578 posts, read 2,599,230 times
I had Dish and hated it! Lost signal way more often than Direct, and I don't think the pricing structures for the price are better than Direct.

Can't compare Dish/Direct to cable because I haven't had cable since I've been here.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:00 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times
Seems like they have a good first year price, but the regular package is $50 a month afterwards (with HDTV)

I suppose that is ok. Cable in Charlotte is way overpriced.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:15 PM

286 posts, read 1,045,613 times
We've had Dish for for 8 years now and love it. Just like others, the signal is lost only during the worst storms (usually the ones that turn the sky black).

Old 12-21-2009, 12:01 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
I have tried very hard to get Dish Network.

I have had four different salespeople tell me they could find an installation solution, have had four different techs come out to house, have had four different reasons why they could not install.

The first showed up in winter, 8 at night, pitch dark, with no ladder for installation. The second did not get out of his truck, saying metal roof and too many trees. The third told me he could get a signal at point x but he would have to have a contractor, not an employee install, and the fourth, a contractor not an employee, told me the third guy was full of it.

I tried hard, but could not get past the installation. Hope you have better luck.

lln
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte