Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 07:42 AM

355 posts, read 1,449,879 times

Advertisements

We went from OC to Charleston, SC in six days. We stayed in Austin for a day and New Orleans for a day so I guess you could technically make it in about 3-4 days pushing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 11:26 AM

571 posts, read 715,626 times
You need to plan on about 50 hours total driving time. If you can do that in four days, more power to you. But don't plan on spending much leisure time at any of these points along the way. Dallas to Atlanta is probably a 20-hour drive. As for the Chinese food, you might want to check out the Asian Corner Mall on Tryon St. I haven't been there in years, so I don't know if there are any restaurant options, but they do have a big Asian grocery store that might have some of what you're looking for. Of course, you'd have to cook it.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:47 AM

92 posts, read 309,704 times
You mentioned that you are not big on church so can't rely upon that to meet people. I've lived a lot of places and Charlotte (like much of the South) can be quite church-oriented. If I had a dollar for every time someone in Charlotte asked me which church I am a member of... I wish church was less of a focus but a lot of people go to church in Charlotte. A lot of it depends upon which industry you're in and which company you work for too. Some places are very conservative and sort of pressure their employees to join churches but other places aren't like that at all.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:24 PM

571 posts, read 715,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesCatsandDogs View Post
Some places are very conservative and sort of pressure their employees to join churches
Dang! For real? As if it's anyone's business? Wow.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:59 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Weird, I've been here for 3 yrs and haven't had a single person ask me which church I go to. Perhaps I just don't look like the church-going type?

Old 12-28-2009, 04:40 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,098 times
It's not really like that in Charlotte. However if you go to one of the rural places outside the metro you can expect to be asked this question.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:13 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
It's not really like that in Charlotte. However if you go to one of the rural places outside the metro you can expect to be asked this question.
No , it's not like that here. The last time I was asked this was over 10 yrs ago. I have had someone ask some rather personal queries though;I usually chalk it up to nosiness.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:33 AM

3 posts, read 4,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
No , it's not like that here. The last time I was asked this was over 10 yrs ago. I have had someone ask some rather personal queries though;I usually chalk it up to nosiness.
I think it can be distributed quite variably depending on what you involve yourself in. Different crowds obviously place different importance on this. Though, hopefully nobody would turn their nose up at someone because they don't attend church.

If the TS/OP is continuing to read the thread: Pineville/Matthews is a good place to live, though it can be quite a ways from everything else in the city and around it. I'd say a good 20 minute or more from downtown depending on how you drive (I can make it in 20 taking odd back roads - hooray for driving for a living).

As for food, you mentioned Chinese American (or Vice-Versa), so I imagine the closest thing to authenticity you will find is the Asian Corner "Mall" on North Tryon...though it has definitely lost it's former glory, it's still good for picking up imported grocery and the restaurant in the back is still frequented and some even hold weddings in the plaza (though I'm not sure why).

About other Asian Americans in Charlotte, which perhaps you were curious about but didn't ask - there is definitely a larger Asian community in Charlotte along the southern portion of I-485, from Exit 4 on the left (Fort Mill) to your area, so this should increase your comfort if you do find better company with other Asian/Chinese Americans, though there is no guarantee of course...

Anywho, 谢谢,我叫杜德文, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:21 AM

645 posts, read 909,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I have been asked MANY times in Charlotte, which church I attend. I don't think it is just a rural past-time

Old 12-29-2009, 07:31 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,918 times
I have lived in Charlotte for almost 50 years and can count the number of times I been asked about church on one hand. Must be the transplants asking...maybe they are looking to get involved somewhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte