U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-29-2009, 03:02 PM
 
7,109 posts, read 9,746,669 times
Reputation: 2564

Advertisements

Just saw on the weather forecast that tomorrow will be:
35 seconds longer than today.

Now that's good news. What did you expect. . . you won the Lottery??

Happy New Year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2009, 03:14 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,220,362 times
Reputation: 22375
Yes, Winter Solstice was the 21st so longer daylight . . . and Happy New Year to you!!! Make those seconds COUNT!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2009, 03:14 PM
 
4,010 posts, read 8,952,098 times
Reputation: 1586
We can be glad that are here in Charlotte, USA where we still have the right not to be subject to such things. (For Now) Imagine the city council being responsible for such a thing.

The 20,000 snooper army: Vast number of town hall bureaucrats get power to enter your home without a warrant | Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2009, 04:11 PM
 
3,115 posts, read 6,158,643 times
Reputation: 1797
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
We can be glad that are here in Charlotte, USA where we still have the right not to be subject to such things. (For Now) Imagine the city council being responsible for such a thing.

The 20,000 snooper army: Vast number of town hall bureaucrats get power to enter your home without a warrant | Mail Online
What? what does this have to do with the days getting longer?

Anyway...I have noticed the days lengthening more this year that I have in the past. Our Christmas lights were on timers that came on a dusk, and I started noticing they have been coming on later and later. I feel like winter just started and already it's going by fast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2009, 06:13 PM
 
4,010 posts, read 8,952,098 times
Reputation: 1586
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
What? what does this have to do with the days getting longer?....
Luv, the topic title says, Good Brighter news. I gave a good news for living in Charlotte. I probably misunderstood the intent, sorry for bothering you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2009, 11:34 AM
 
570 posts, read 545,695 times
Reputation: 551
Besides the days getting longer, here is some other "brighter" news. This is a very interesting chart where you can follow state-by-state and metro area-by-metro area recessions and recoveries over time. From April through July of this year, every single state in the union was in recession. Starting in August, a recovery began in a number of states which has continued in the months since. By October, 12 states were out of recession and in recovery, though North Carolina is not one of them. However, 4 of 15 North Carolina metro areas are now in recovery. Charlotte is not among them -- the biggest of these is Winston-Salem -- but should the trend continue, surely Charlotte will see daylight down the road.

Big cities still waiting for recovery - Eye on the Economy- msnbc.com

Oh, and for those who care, the situation in Atlanta right now is even more bleak than in Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2009, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,114 posts, read 15,684,436 times
Reputation: 3695
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
Besides the days getting longer, here is some other "brighter" news. This is a very interesting chart where you can follow state-by-state and metro area-by-metro area recessions and recoveries over time. From April through July of this year, every single state in the union was in recession. Starting in August, a recovery began in a number of states which has continued in the months since. By October, 12 states were out of recession and in recovery, though North Carolina is not one of them. However, 4 of 15 North Carolina metro areas are now in recovery. Charlotte is not among them -- the biggest of these is Winston-Salem -- but should the trend continue, surely Charlotte will see daylight down the road.

Big cities still waiting for recovery - Eye on the Economy- msnbc.com

Oh, and for those who care, the situation in Atlanta right now is even more bleak than in Charlotte.
All this means is that the bleeding has been slowing. We are not GROWING as one would imply when many think "out of the recession". We are nowhere near feeling better about the situation.

Until companies start hiring workers back (ie a net "positive") we'll be stuck in this for awhile......

The housing market also will still have a glut of homes for a very long time (that's what got us into this mess).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2009, 12:34 PM
 
570 posts, read 545,695 times
Reputation: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
All this means is that the bleeding has been slowing. We are not GROWING as one would imply when many think "out of the recession". We are nowhere near feeling better about the situation.

Until companies start hiring workers back (ie a net "positive") we'll be stuck in this for awhile......

The housing market also will still have a glut of homes for a very long time (that's what got us into this mess).
I don't know who you mean by "we." If by "we," you mean the nation as a whole, I didn't say that. As I explained, this chart breaks things down state by state and metro by metro. If by "we," you mean Charlotte, I specifically said the Charlotte metro was still in recession. Those 12 states I referred to that are categorized as "in recovery" means those states are coming "out of recession." It doesn't mean they're expanding yet (the chart has a separate category for that), but job losses in those places are no longer greater than job gains. The fact that 12 states are now in the recovery phase (which means net positive for them), whereas NO state was in that phase prior to August, is encouraging news. Why be a Debbie Downer when some positive things are starting to happen. Sure, it may take a very long time before the whole nation pulls out of recession, but a recovery has to start somewhere, and as this chart shows, it has been happening in some places since August. A year ago, there were concerns we might be headed into a depression and more catastrophic economic fallout after the financial collapse a few months earlier. That was averted, and now there is growth in some parts of the nation when there was none before. The fact there are some signs of growth instead of the depression many were predicting ought to register something other than just the usual negativity.

Last edited by brichard; 12-30-2009 at 12:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2009, 12:52 PM
 
Location: S. Charlotte
1,511 posts, read 2,885,976 times
Reputation: 675
Huh, how did the days growing longer b/c of passing the winter solstice turn into a discussion on the economy??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2009, 12:57 PM
 
7,109 posts, read 9,746,669 times
Reputation: 2564
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
Huh, how did the days growing longer b/c of passing the winter solstice turn into a discussion on the economy??
Well, as OP of this thread that crossed my mine also...but with the word "brighter" thoughts go to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Let it be, no big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:35 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top