Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2009, 01:18 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,252,507 times

Advertisements

In 2008, there were more than 5,000 crimes reported but only 3,700 were reported in 2009. Police said that amounts to 1,300 fewer victims this year. Officers have done that by identifying crime trends faster and then moving officers to problem areas.
They've also focused on locking up repeat offenders

Crime down city-wide but one area tops the list for 2009 - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 08:10 PM

7,041 posts, read 14,943,139 times
I think this is fantastic, Sunny!! This is a great indication as to the hard work of our new police chief.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:26 PM

248 posts, read 719,061 times
um... am confused.. am looking at the below thread too..

http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...ike-crime.html

Old 12-31-2009, 07:30 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,227,744 times
It looks like the dramatic increase in concealed carry handgun permits issued in NC during 2008/2009 is deterring crime. Virtually every metro area in the U.S. with a spike in permits issued has seen a decrease in crime. Let freedom ring!

Old 12-31-2009, 07:58 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,487,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetruckguy View Post
um... am confused.. am looking at the below thread too..

http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...ike-crime.html
bluetruck....my post wasn't 'statistic-based' (not yet anyways, I don't think December stats have been released yet), more of just how I see things based on what seems like an increase in news reports of crimes, bank robberies, etc, like the link I posted in my thread.

And can someone explain exactly what this means:

"The only crime that increased this year city-wide was rape and police say in most cases, the suspect knew the victim."

so....rape is ok if you know the person!?!?!

Old 12-31-2009, 08:32 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,418,383 times
I don't think they are saying it's okay, just pointing out a caveat. I took it to mean that rapes increased this year but we don't to fear a new wave of unknown attackers or serial rapists like we have had in the past. Of course we should always be proactive.

Statistically I am more at risk to be raped by someone I know than a stranger (breaking in, attacking me in a parking lot, when I'm out for a walk etc). I've read that about 75% of all rapes and 90% of college age rapes are by someone the victim knows.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:40 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,077,446 times
Since I work with stats, there are a lot of ways to report on a subject to make it appear as we wish it to appear. I am not trying to take anything away from the increased police presence (as I really hope that is true and I support our LE) . . . and I am an enthusiastic backer of Chief Monroe. So I am not trying to diminish any good work that has occurred b/c of our fine officers and Chief.

However, I have a lot of questions about those stats as far as whether or not just counting numbers is meaningful.

For example, what types of crimes have increased in areas that previously had low crime? How many crimes were violent crimes as opposed to years past? How many home robberies (home invasions) involved assault with a gun? If people weren't killed, were pets killed in home invasions (cause my research shows pets have been killed as well as being stolen - how does that fit in with the stats).

Types of crime (such as storming into a restaurant, waving guns, robbing patrons) may have increased as compared to years past. To me, robbing employees after hours is a terrible crime, but shooting patrons and employees, robbing them all, beating people up, etc. can't count as the same type of crime - they are both robberies but the nature of the crime is different when violence is involved (and shows we have more brazen, aggressive thugs out there right now).

Used to be that thieves wanted to break in homes when no one was there. Now, they purposely choose homes where folks are present so they can intimidate them into giving quick info on where to find the $$$$. I don't think those two crimes compare at all. So if burglaries are down but the ones that occur include situations where the homeowner is at home . . . I believe those would be two very different crimes. And I would think it was much worse to have thugs breaking in when folks are at home, even if there are LESS robberies.

I want to see a comparison showing exactly what crimes have occurred (and in what areas) and no white-washing, either. Saying there were 300 less robberies in an area of the city doesn't mean squat if the ones that occurred included violence that has escalated in the last few years (beating up residents, killing their pets, tying up their kids, etc).

Old 12-31-2009, 04:50 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,442,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I want to see a comparison showing exactly what crimes have occurred (and in what areas) and no white-washing, either. Saying there were 300 less robberies in an area of the city doesn't mean squat if the ones that occurred included violence that has escalated in the last few years (beating up residents, killing their pets, tying up their kids, etc).
Similar to what I was thinking, as crime reporting, while it seems easy is actually pretty hard data to collect from what I understand--and the critera can vary greatly. And if its politically motivated, forget it, "figures don't lie, but liars figure," and whatnot. ex/If a Charlotte resident goes over the state line to murder someone, is that a crime in SC, or does that count towards Charlotte #s?

I don't have my books with me (because I am stuck at work at 5:49 on NYE) but I think it was Gladwell who addressed crime stats in "The Tipping Point," or maybe "Outliers," as being very difficult data to analyze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: