Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 10:37 AM

769 posts, read 2,220,069 times

Advertisements

Also try Craig's List - just be aware that you only have the previous owners information to go on, and if they are getting rid of the animal, they aren't always going to tell you the issues. ASPCA/Petfinder/Humane Society animals have been vetted and checked for acceptable social behavior, so you're much more likely to end up with a better animal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 933 times
First of all, hi everyone, I am Jim's spouse, lol. He got sick of posting for me and so I decided to open my own account

Why don't you try Lincoln County Animal Services in Lincolnton? We adopted from them last year and the fee was only $85 for our dog. The web site does not show all of the animals that are available for adoption. They usually have a lot of small dogs.

Here is the link. They are even open on Sundays. Good luck! Please let us know what you decided.

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/NC289.html

Happy New Year Everyone!

Last edited by JimsSpouse; 01-02-2010 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: My link didn't show!

Old 01-02-2010, 01:49 PM

110 posts, read 375,549 times
Rescue dogs are the best . I have 3 dogs, 2 are rescues and 1 came from a breeder. I can tell you the rescue dogs were a challenge at first, but the outcome far exceeds the extra time and effort it takes to gain their trust. Good luck.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:10 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,576 times
My 20 year old wandered into our yard and has been my best friend ever since. My cat was originally my daughter's and rescued from the Humane Society. My other dog was originally my parent's and he was dropped off at the Humane Society because the family didn't want him. They are the three best pets anyone could have.

Hang in there with the process. It will be well worth it in the end!

Old 01-02-2010, 06:09 PM

403 posts, read 878,260 times
I would like to suggest the Charlotte Animal Shelter......first, before the other rescue groups. Mainly because they "will" do away with an animal after a certain period of time....and the rescue groups are doing all they can to rescue from there and other places. They really try to find "forever" homes for the ones they get....and do a great job of placing the furbabies with the right people....they don't try to make it difficult for ownership....they just want to make sure..."forever" is "forever".
I rescued my pup Rusty from CAS approximately fourteen years ago...and it was the best decision that I have ever made. He is now over sixteen, and sadly...my "forever" friend is going down slowly....I try carry him most of the time....he is not a real small dog. I looked for him for three months going to the CAS at least twice a week....when I finally found him....I knew him...when I saw him......and then he was mine.
Try not to rush a decision like adopting a pup or whatever...its a big decision, life altering......you will want the pup that was meant for you...not one that you just pick to say you have a dog. You want it to be right.....and "forever". Good Luck in finding your "forever" friend....I hope you are as lucky as I was. PS...My next pup (probably a year or two from now) will definitely be a "Rescue".

Old 01-02-2010, 06:19 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,452,390 times
The CMPD Animal Care and Control Bureau has a pet adoption program. Adult dogs are $98 and puppies are $88. That includes spay/neuter and microchip. Animal Adoptions (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Animal+Control/Adoption/home.htm - broken link)

Old 01-03-2010, 07:27 AM

198 posts, read 642,011 times
(I am extremely involved with my breed rescue, transporting dogs all over the southeast and fostering rescue dogs in my home, rehabilitating them so they can be adopted. I have a beautiful rescue girl now that will hopefully find a home soon.)

Ljd1010 is absolutely right about plenty of bad people out there who are looking for "throwaway" dogs for the wrong reasons. In addition, there are plenty of well-meaning people who are interested in a dog, but maybe don't really know what's involved in being a good owner. Maybe they think it's okay to leave the dog outside in the yard all day. Maybe they think it's adorable and cute if the dog gets pregnant and has puppies. These are the kinds of people rescue organizations try to educate.

Keep in mind that the dogs that come into the rescue system have had a chaotic life AT BEST. Even if they weren't abandoned or abused or neglected, at the very least they were surrendered by possibly the only family they've ever known, and left at a shelter or with a foster volunteer who is a stranger. The dog is confused and scared and has to adjust to a new situation. And when it is adopted out, it will have to adjust to ANOTHER new situation. This is why rescue organizations (not sure about humane society or shelters) put so much effort into vetting homes. These dogs have been through enough and deserve a true "forever" home.

The best things in life are worth waiting for! Don't be discouraged by a wait or an application process. Rescue truly has the dogs' best interest in mind and it will be worth it in the long run.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:59 AM

539 posts, read 1,498,358 times
Try Pets911 - Lost and found Dogs and Cats - Find Lost Pets at Pets 911. That is where we found the pup we wanted.

We just rescued a beagle mix 5 month old female and the process could not have been easier. Filled out a simple application that took less than 5 min. E-mailed it back to my contact and had a yes reply 30 min later. The puppy was delivered the next day, she had already been neutered and chipped and it was 150 donation to cover that. Could not have been easier, I don't know why you think it is a difficult process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte