U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 12:10 PM

8,231 posts, read 11,623,200 times

Advertisements

In this day and time, it is sensitive and rarely will people agree
part of the beauty of this country but reading with comprehension
is critical. Especially in topics such as this.

All of this ground has been tread before it is just a wait and see game at this point.

This really isn't an area topic but so far it's ok and Sunny has let it stay for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 12:11 PM

8,231 posts, read 11,623,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Ive read where many emploers will find it cheaper to pay the penalty for not paying for employees' insurance than it will be to buy the insurance.

I certainly dont feel that government insurance is the right answer- I know people who live in Canada too, and Ive heard of people waiting for MONTHS to get a CT/MRI. Is that really the road we want to go down??

On the other hand, I've spent ALOT of time dealing with insurance companires over the last two months. Simply, they care very little about the people they serve, and greatly about the all mighty dollar. Your doctor's hands are tied, at the whim of the insurance companies. There is no reason someone should have to fight for hours over getting a necessary med/procedure done. Yet on a daily basis, we do battle with these companies begginhg, pleading, threatening- whatever it takes to get them to pry their wallets open.

Generally, I espouse the Capitalist model, and I feel that governmental intrusion in private industry is contrary to the very foundation of our society. However, in the case of insurance companies, it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to afford that industry the same courtesy. What Congress should have focused on is real, tangible insurance reform. Force the insurance companies to take care of people. Eliminate bonuses for preserving money at the cost of killing customers. Make insurance do what it was designed for.

Many good points here.....

Old 01-03-2010, 12:14 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,242,482 times
What is sad is that a basic human need, such as healthcare, has been turned into a political issue by politicians and lobbyists. And we are all gonna pay a price. Why do you think they stuck a date on the enactment way out into the future (2014)? So everyone will forget about it and the changes to services can start gradually - meaning - we are all gonna have services cut. It won't matter whether you have a policy through your employer or you are on Medicaid/Medicare. The cost will go up and the services you are approved for with go down.

But I have talked about all this til I am blue in the face, and folks told me I was out of my tree . . . there has been a very insidious campaign by some factions in this country to convince everyone that anyone who disagrees is a nutball. However, when 2014 hits and folks are shocked at the level of taxes we are paying (including those hidden taxes) and their insurance policies no longer cover as much on drugs and diagnostics yet the premiums have risen . . . all we are gonna hear is "why didn't someone tell us." Pretty sad how easily manipulated people can be by happy talk.

It will affect us here in Charlotte just as it will affect everyone all over the nation. The good thing is - we are not in an underserved area, meaning we have hospitals, clinics and docs here. Folks in rural areas are going to find it is even harder to get into a doctor's office - and receive care in a timely fashion - once this legislation goes into effect (assuming the House and Senate pass the Senate bill).

History books will point to how manipulated we all were . . . the question will be - why? There were models that could have been used to create a system where no one in America goes bankrupt b/c of healthcare issues. What gets me is the lies that have been perpetuated. Very few people in America do not receive healthcare, whether they have insurance or not. However, going bankrupt b/c of medical costs is not rare. This ended up being a bill about INSURANCE and ENTITLEMENTS, rather than a bill about IMPROVING HEALTHCARE COSTS and increasing ACCESS TO HEALTHCARE. That is the big lie at the center of this legislation.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:16 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,659,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSaunders View Post
I can see this thread is going to be a two sided issue with a few heated arguments. Maybe it will be best to lock this thread?

Politics, No matter how innocent a topic can be is still a very sensitive matter.
Moderator note:

I have no problem with heated discussion as long as we follow these three TOS rules
Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility
Quote:
very Important
All posts unrelated to local matters will be deleted or moved. Threads dealing with controversial topics that often degenerate into flame wars, such as politics or religion, may be moved, closed, or deleted by moderators at their discretion without any warning to the participants.
Quote:
Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.
if you see some version of a smiley eating popcorn
I have check the above posts and I am ok with it . OP ask how it relates to Charlotte. Iknow it will be hard to do but lets try to keep it local. thanks

Old 01-03-2010, 12:19 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,953,888 times
Does it hurt to point out there is no health care plan yet? There is a health care bill from the House of Representatives, a health care bill from the Senate, and a President who has not said what he has to have to sign it. The House and Senate bills are radically different from each other and will have to be turned into one bill before Obama can sign it.

So........ With that said, who knows what it will do when it is all said and done.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:21 PM

70 posts, read 217,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Sorry, no feeling sorry here. Your sister seems to be a healthy working adult, and should then be either buying her own insurance or using the other available alternatives. I'm OK with children being covered if their parents can't provide them with the proper care. That money needs to go to those who are too sick to work or who are disabled and can no longer work.

Maybe you should read my OP. I clearly stated her job does NOT offer health insurance. Also, she's tried searching for out of pocket insurances only to find they wanted over $600 a month for a basic HMO plan which is an amount she cannot afford since she's paying rent, food, and other expenses Also, her deceased husband's insurance has expired about a year ago. why are some people on the attack on this forum? It's not like she's on welfare she's working!

Old 01-03-2010, 12:22 PM

We shouldn't have to be depending on insurance to control the cost of healthcare! That is the whole point. The delivery of healthcare is at the core of the problem - and providing healthcare at a reasonable cost is the dilemma. Insurance companies became the focus and they should only be a side issue! The insurance is not the problem - some of their RULES are, which could have been prohibited with less than 50 pages of legislation!

Providing healthcare at a reasonable cost got sidetracked with discussions on insurance. That is backwards! It's the cost of healthcare that should have been addressed - not the companies who are essentially no better than bookies at a race track. Think about it! All insurance does is manage risk and charge you a premium to make a bet on your future health.

We need to be looking at WHY a procedure that costs $100,000 here in the USA can be performed in other countries (with as good outcomes) for $25,000. If we could cut the cost of healthcare, then we wouldn't be so dependent on the bookies outside the hospital doors - your (not-so) friendly insurance conglomerates.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolone6722 View Post
Maybe you should read my OP. I clearly stated her job does NOT offer health insurance. Also, she's tried searching for out of pocket insurances only to find they wanted over $600 a month for a basic HMO plan which is an amount she cannot afford since she's paying rent, food, and other expenses Also, her deceased husband's insurance has expired about a year ago. why are some people on the attack on this forum? It's not like she's on welfare she's working!
My son has an insurance policy that has a high deductible but is less than $80 a month, from BCBS. Your sister needs what most of us have when we are on our own - a high deductible policy which is essentially designed to cover major catastrophes. Having insurance doesn't mean you only pay a premium and never incur other expenses. It is just to make sure you don't go bankrupt if you end up in the hospital.

Tell her to look for a policy with a high deductible.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Does it hurt to point out there is no health care plan yet? There is a health care bill from the House of Representatives, a health care bill from the Senate, and a President who has not said what he has to have to sign it. The House and Senate bills are radically different from each other and will have to be turned into one bill before Obama can sign it.

So........ With that said, who knows what it will do when it is all said and done.
That is what folks kept saying when the Kennedy plan was introduced in June. "Just b/c it is in that bill that doesn't mean it will be in the final bill."

However, the same stuff IS in the final bill, only a bunch more pork and entitlements were thrown in, as well (as if the Kennedy bill didn't have enuff pork to make sausage from here to the moon).

You can bet that the final bill will be almost exactly the same as the bill that came out of the Senate. They have all been essentially the same. The silly stuff we are hearing about in the news is not even a drop in the bucket to all the money-sucking provisions in that legislation.

However, since it appears our fearless leaders are not listening to their constituents . . . what does it matter? We are gonna get what Congress has decided we are gonna get - and you won't know what that really means til sometime after 2014.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:33 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,317,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolone6722 View Post
This is EXACTLY what pisses me off about the way our insurance industry operates! There is no reason your sister should be denied affordable insurance. However, I feel that it should be the insurance companies' responsibility to cover these folks- not the government's.

Hell people- if you want to see how government run healthcare runs- look at the VA! On a local level, they built this beutiful, multipurpose clinic that they outgrew in less than 2 years! That's right- the VA is already looking to replace their brand new Charlotte clinic because it was not built large enough to serve the population it was designed for. Who was the rocket scientist responsible for that???

Not to attack our neighbors to the north, but if Canada's healtcare system is so wonderful, why are all of their workers coming here? In the early to mid 90's there was a huge influx of Canadian providers (doctors, nurses, etc) to this country, simply because the pay was better here. While most healthcare workers dont go in to the field for the money, our critical shortage of physicians will be exacerbated by a decline in the number of people willing to go in to the field, and having to work for 10+ years to pay off student loans.

This issue is really a double edged sword, and unfortunately, no one is willing to tell the American people what the real stakes of the issue are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or