U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 10:25 AM

70 posts, read 217,234 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I'm wondering how our President's Health Care Plan will effect those adults who are uninsured in the area. My sister who works at a local market which does not offer health care has been denied Medicaid. The only way she can be covered is if she needs prenatal care. However her children has Medicaid. I think this is unfair since other states like NY for example parents and their children are eligible for Medicaid.

Hopefully, the Health Care bill really goes into effect, people like my Sister will have coverage!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 10:36 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,616,305 times
when this goes into effect, it will not be free, your sister will have to pay out...

although, no matter if it is Charlotte or any other area people will largely be effected the same.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:39 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,627,554 times

Old 01-03-2010, 11:27 AM

197 posts, read 427,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
when this goes into effect, it will not be free, your sister will have to pay out...

although, no matter if it is Charlotte or any other area people will largely be effected the same.

Nothing is free and I have no idea why some people claim that it is. You will have to pay higher taxes. Also, the taxes out of your pay check will be greater which equals a lower income (after taxes) for some people. Myself just don't think people who just don't want to work (Not the people who cannot) should be able to access this "obamacare".

Old 01-03-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSaunders View Post
Nothing is free and I have no idea why some people claim that it is. You will have to pay higher taxes. Also, the taxes out of your pay check will be greater which equals a lower income (after taxes) for some people. Myself just don't think people who just don't want to work (Not the people who cannot) should be able to access this "obamacare".

You are right, nothing in life is free.
And yes, there are those who do not want to work, but there are also those out there who can not find a job and are getting screwed any which way, but that is a topic in and of itself...

I have a sister who lives in Canada and they have socialized medicine there and it is not poor care as some are trying to lead us here to believe. She and some other family members there never could have afforded some of the health care needs they face here in the US. But, it isn't free, they do have to pay for it.

Is this healthcare the answer? Who knows, I sure don't... time will tell but it is high past time the average, everyday citizen in this country get a break !

Old 01-03-2010, 11:38 AM

Agreed, only time will tell.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:49 AM

3,428 posts, read 9,257,592 times
Sorry, no feeling sorry here. Your sister seems to be a healthy working adult, and should then be either buying her own insurance or using the other available alternatives. I'm OK with children being covered if their parents can't provide them with the proper care. That money needs to go to those who are too sick to work or who are disabled and can no longer work.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Sorry, no feeling sorry here. Your sister seems to be a healthy working adult, and should then be either buying her own insurance or using the other available alternatives. I'm OK with children being covered if their parents can't provide them with the proper care. That money needs to go to those who are too sick to work or who are disabled and can no longer work.

Did I ask for you to feel sorry? I stated that my sister lives in Canada where they HAVE socialized medicine. My sister is disabled, due to her profession in healthcare.

Reading with comprehension is critical and part of what gets this country in such trouble today.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:59 AM

I can see this thread is going to be a two sided issue with a few heated arguments. Maybe it will be best to lock this thread?

Politics, No matter how innocent a topic can be is still a very sensitive matter.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:09 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,315,607 times
Ive read where many emploers will find it cheaper to pay the penalty for not paying for employees' insurance than it will be to buy the insurance.

I certainly dont feel that government insurance is the right answer- I know people who live in Canada too, and Ive heard of people waiting for MONTHS to get a CT/MRI. Is that really the road we want to go down??

On the other hand, I've spent ALOT of time dealing with insurance companires over the last two months. Simply, they care very little about the people they serve, and greatly about the all mighty dollar. Your doctor's hands are tied, at the whim of the insurance companies. There is no reason someone should have to fight for hours over getting a necessary med/procedure done. Yet on a daily basis, we do battle with these companies begginhg, pleading, threatening- whatever it takes to get them to pry their wallets open.

Generally, I espouse the Capitalist model, and I feel that governmental intrusion in private industry is contrary to the very foundation of our society. However, in the case of insurance companies, it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to afford that industry the same courtesy. What Congress should have focused on is real, tangible insurance reform. Force the insurance companies to take care of people. Eliminate bonuses for preserving money at the cost of killing customers. Make insurance do what it was designed for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or