Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:31 AM

9 posts, read 13,645 times

Advertisements

Greetings from the Great State of New Jersey. First post here. My wife and I have decided that maybe we're not long for NJ anymore. Maybe a few more years relocate to NC...specifically the Charlotte area. So my first major question is what is the job market like down there now? I'm currently in Human Resources. Job is great but I think the quality of life is most important. Plus my commute from NJ into NYC is a bit much. I think this site will be a great tool to help me out. Any help is also greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 11:35 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32Ford View Post
Greetings from the Great State of New Jersey. First post here. My wife and I have decided that maybe we're not long for NJ anymore. Maybe a few more years relocate to NC...specifically the Charlotte area. So my first major question is what is the job market like down there now? I'm currently in Human Resources. Job is great but I think the quality of life is most important. Plus my commute from NJ into NYC is a bit much. I think this site will be a great tool to help me out. Any help is also greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
32 I am sympathetic to your situation - quality of life IS better here in my opinion and Charlotte is a great place to live.

HOWEVER, this is a very difficult time to find a new job in the Charlotte area, particularly in HR. If you have a job currently in NJ I'd say count your blessings and stay put a while. Hopefully there will be a better time in a year or two for you to try to come on down. Sorry

Old 01-05-2010, 11:43 AM

I think the move would be in two years minimum. We still have a lot going on up here with 2 kids and 3rd on the way in 2 weeks. So I think this is just the beginning steps to make a move down the road. And with it being 20 degrees out we realize this just isn't where we want to be as we get older. Friends of ours just moved into a town called Waxhaw (I believe) and they love it.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:55 AM

146 posts, read 474,331 times
32 - we relocated here to Lincoln County from Hunterdon County, NJ. Still not sure if it is better here, still adjusting to the different lifestyle. fyi - it was 15 degrees outside this morning when i left for work. good luck with the move.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:06 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,501,898 times
32- I made the move from joisey to charlotte 2 years ago. I'm having fun. if you come here expecting it to be like the tri-state area, you'll be disappointed, but if u come with a positive attitude, you should have no problems (besides the job market, that's different). good luck.

ps- oh yeah, and people talk funny here HAHA, I'm just kiddin....

Old 01-05-2010, 01:24 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,361,027 times
According to my crystal ball, the economic/job situation will be all better in the next few years.

Ok not really, but you get the idea: right now it can be tough to find a job, but since you are looking a few years down the road, the general strong caution about jobs may not apply the same to you then.

My recommendation is to visit as often as possible to get a good feel for all the possibilities and opportunities found in Charlotte and surrounding areas.

Get your resume out there and visible right NOW. Consider getting a local cell phone number as well for recruiter ease of access. Yes, it should not matter if you have moved or are planning on moving, but it does matter to some companies.

Good luck with your decision and potential move.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:40 PM

Thanks for all the help. It's greatly appreciated everyone.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:34 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,828,966 times
Well you're already on track in that you found City Data! I was lucky enough to also find this site before we moved from So Cal 3 years ago.

Since you're not moving right away you'll have plenty of time to do reasearch. I went to all the town and county websitesI was interested in living in and read everything I could.

Waxhaw is in Union County, Charlotte is in Mecklenburg County. For now Union County taxes are a bit lower.

Best wishes with your new baby.

Union County North Carolina

home (http://www.charmeck.org/living/home.htm - broken link)

Town of Waxhaw, NC --

http://www.allentate.com/DesktopDefa...ll&Region=CMLS

Old 01-05-2010, 02:41 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32Ford View Post
I think the move would be in two years minimum. We still have a lot going on up here with 2 kids and 3rd on the way in 2 weeks. So I think this is just the beginning steps to make a move down the road. And with it being 20 degrees out we realize this just isn't where we want to be as we get older. Friends of ours just moved into a town called Waxhaw (I believe) and they love it.
Well, in that case you should do fine Two years gives you PLENTY of time to scout out the area and to let the job market recover. Keep reading here, you'll gather lots of good intel.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:13 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,705,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
32 I am sympathetic to your situation - quality of life IS better here in my opinion and Charlotte
One of the problems that I have with this forum is I don't know the proper way to say "well, that's your opinion", or "it's relative", or "let's talk about that vis a vi the circumstances of the person/situation".

Since the TOS are: these are opinions of the poster only and one should not attack the opinion (besides I would never attack you anyway Loves, LOL) how does one disagree or have a contrary opinion without getting an infraction or going completely OT? (as I just did).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: