U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-06-2010, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Near the water
8,231 posts, read 11,618,820 times
Reputation: 3878

Advertisements

Speak Out: Educate All Students

Posted: Jan 04, 2010 3:07 PM EST Monday, January 4, 2010 3:07 PM EST Updated: Jan 06, 2010 12:30 PM EST Wednesday, January 6, 2010 12:30 PM EST





"Speak Out" is an expression of opinion from the Editorial Board of WBTV, and is presented by General Manager, Nick Simonette.

At 21, you are old enough to drink, smoke, and no longer need adult supervision.
But, believe it or not - you can be 21 and still be in the ninth grade in CMS.
Listen to this...Last month 80 West Charlotte High school students were identified as failing.
The ages of those struggling students range from 16 to 21...
Imagine that…21 and still stuck in high school....What a mess.
The failing students were asked to leave West Charlotte and told to attend an alternative school.
Some are now refusing to go.
Now, a retiree is being paid nearly 6 thousand dollars a month to convince them to go.
WOW!
This last minute shuffle reveals CMS had no plan in place to deal with the struggling over-aged students.
This should serve as a wake up call.
When a student repeats the ninth grade more than once, alarms should sound.
And there should be early interventions in place to stop this failing cycle.
Obviously, this is not the first time adult students have been found in high school classrooms.
By now, CMS should have found some solutions to help these types of students.
After all, the school district gets more than a billion dollars. Yes, A BILLION a year to educate all students.
We think there should be enough money set aside to prepare these adults -- who are still high school freshmen -- for life.
CMS, get a strategy in place now..
So when a CMS student turns 21, he or she is getting ready to graduate from college, not studying for a ninth grade final exam.






link to the story & video...
Speak Out: Educate All Students - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2010, 05:06 PM
 
Location: NE Charlotte, NC (University City)
1,894 posts, read 5,742,028 times
Reputation: 1041
While I do see fault on the side of CMS, I think the vast majority of it falls on the student and their families (or lack thereof). If you can't pass high school, you should be classified as near-retarded (if not fully). For a perfectly "normal" person to sit around there that long, there's an attitude problem and a flat out will to not succeed.

But playing a blame game will not help anything here. There's a serious problem there...action is best at this point. And since it's just a handful of kids, extreme, quick, and effective measures need to be taken...editorials aside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Near the water
8,231 posts, read 11,618,820 times
Reputation: 3878
like it reads, why did the alarm's not blast after the second failure of that grade? There is just so much wrong with this and I won't even get fired up about CMS paying someone 6000/month to convince these
kids to stay in school? Are you kidding me??? Geesh......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,605,943 times
Reputation: 39870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Speak Out: Educate All Students

Posted: Jan 04, 2010 3:07 PM EST Monday, January 4, 2010 3:07 PM EST Updated: Jan 06, 2010 12:30 PM EST Wednesday, January 6, 2010 12:30 PM EST





"Speak Out" is an expression of opinion from the Editorial Board of WBTV, and is presented by General Manager, Nick Simonette.

At 21, you are old enough to drink, smoke, and no longer need adult supervision.
But, believe it or not - you can be 21 and still be in the ninth grade in CMS.
Listen to this...Last month 80 West Charlotte High school students were identified as failing.
The ages of those struggling students range from 16 to 21...
Imagine that…21 and still stuck in high school....What a mess.
The failing students were asked to leave West Charlotte and told to attend an alternative school.
Some are now refusing to go.
Now, a retiree is being paid nearly 6 thousand dollars a month to convince them to go.
WOW!
This last minute shuffle reveals CMS had no plan in place to deal with the struggling over-aged students.
This should serve as a wake up call.
When a student repeats the ninth grade more than once, alarms should sound.
And there should be early interventions in place to stop this failing cycle.
Obviously, this is not the first time adult students have been found in high school classrooms.
By now, CMS should have found some solutions to help these types of students.
After all, the school district gets more than a billion dollars. Yes, A BILLION a year to educate all students.
We think there should be enough money set aside to prepare these adults -- who are still high school freshmen -- for life.
CMS, get a strategy in place now..
So when a CMS student turns 21, he or she is getting ready to graduate from college, not studying for a ninth grade final exam.






link to the story & video...
Speak Out: Educate All Students - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC-
I posted a thread about this when it first came out sometime in the last month. It turns out this is a NATIONAL situation - public schools all over America let students stay in school this long. Amazing, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Near the water
8,231 posts, read 11,618,820 times
Reputation: 3878
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I posted a thread about this when it first came out sometime in the last month. It turns out this is a NATIONAL situation - public schools all over America let students stay in school this long. Amazing, isn't it?


Loves,
shocked and amazed here.....honestly.
(sorry I missed your article on it, I wouldn't have been so shocked)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 05:30 PM
 
11,836 posts, read 25,487,772 times
Reputation: 2781
Well what happened to these kids before the days of letting them repeat the same grades over & over & over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,605,943 times
Reputation: 39870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Well what happened to these kids before the days of letting them repeat the same grades over & over & over?
I believe many of them joined the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 05:57 PM
 
4,010 posts, read 8,951,221 times
Reputation: 1586
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I believe many of them joined the military.
Army and Navy won't take anyone without a high school diploma now and they have to be in reasonable physical shape which a lot of young people are not now. The other services, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, are even more demanding. So they do this now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,605,943 times
Reputation: 39870
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Army and Navy won't take anyone without a high school diploma now. The other services, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, are even more demanding.
As well they should be But in prior generations that was an option for young men who couldn't get thru high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 06:25 PM
 
3,115 posts, read 6,157,742 times
Reputation: 1797
This is a societal problem, not the school district's. We shouldn't be blaming the schools. They are not parents!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:16 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top