Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2010, 04:20 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Why do you feel Syracuse is so different than here?
ohmygosh, where to begin??

Suffice it to say, I've traveled to Mexico and Costa Rica - it reminded me a lot of what you find there. In particular its downtown looks like the capital city of San Jose, Costa Rica.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:22 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
here is a small example to help those of you who do not understand the cultural/social differences b/n northerners and southerners. This is an actual compilation of my own (and my friends') experiences.

Read these examples and then decide which where the women are from - the south or "someplace else."

two women end up in a car accident. The lady in back obviously caused the accident. After the dust settles, both ladies get out of their cars.

Here are three scenarios.

Lady in back car sighs and reaches for her purse to retrieve her license, insurance card and a piece of paper to write down information on. Before she has it in her hand and can exit her car, lady from front car is banging on the window. Lady f/ front car says "excuse me! What the hell is your problem? You have to be effing blind! I have called police. Don't even think about trying to get out of this." lady who caused accident doesn't know what to say. She realizes she caused accident but having this crazy banshee screaming at her is very intimidating. No way she is gonna get out of the car and confront this woman.

Who is the southerner and who is from "somewhere else?"

scenario two. Same situation. Lady in back caused accident.

Lady in back is furious. She is late and doesn't need more delay. She isn't sure what to do next. She doesn't want to get a ticket but she guesses police have to be involved. She hears a tap on the window. Omg, it is the slow-ass broad from the car in front of her. She is too angry to even talk. She does not even want to look at the woman, but finally rolls the car window down.

"are you okay?" the lady from the first car asks. "do you want me to call the police or are you going to call?" the lady in the car says, "what the hell happened? No, i haven't called the police. I don't know that we even need to. Looks pretty minor from where i am sitting."

lady from front car is not sure what to do. She guesses she should go ahead and call the police, but in her stomach, she has a knot b/c it appears the lady who caused the accident is not going to take responsibility. She dreads having a hassle over this.

scenario three

after the dust settles, the women take their time getting out of their cars. "omg, i am so sorry," (they both say at the same time).

"are you okay?" says woman who caused the accident.

"i think it is pretty minor," says woman in front car. "i am fine. Just spilled some coffee."

woman who caused accident says, "oh no! I am so sorry. Here, i have some wet wipes in the car." she reaches in car and gets wet wipes. "i have one of those new stain removal pens, too, if you want that.

"i have wondered about those! Yeah, i'll try it." lady hands her the stain pen.

"this sucks," says woman in back car. "i got distracted. I am so so sorry. My husband is gonna kill me. It is his car."

"oh, dern. Maybe you don't have to tell him. Just get it fixed. Maybe he won't notice," lady in front car says. They both laugh.

Lady in first car says "do you want me to call the police? Who knows when they will be here. Were you on the way to an appointment? I think i better call and let my tennis partner know i am gonna be late" lady from first car dials police and reports accident.

Lady in second car says, "you play tennis? Where do you play?"

"over at abc club. We meet every tuesday at 10 am." lady in first car calls her friend, reaches her and informs of delay.

Lady in second car says, "i play tennis, too, but i am not that good. We play at lmn club. But i don't have a regular partner. And oh my gosh, where are my manners. My name is gina smith. Sorry to meet you this way."

"i am mary brown. Sorry to meet you this way, too." they both laugh. "where do you live? I live just a few blocks from here."

"me, too!" gina says.

"well, gosh, we should meet up for tennis," says mary.

"sounds good to me," says gina, who writes down her phone number and hands to mary.

Police arrive. Ladies go to their cars.

You made me laugh outloud Ani!

Old 01-08-2010, 04:27 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Why do you feel Syracuse is so different than here?
Well, I can offer up my on opinion of this. I got sent on a business trip there once (well near there) and got booked in some Holiday Inn, I think it was the only hotel in this place. When I got there there was a frozen dead cat laying by the front door. I took this as a bad omen and unfortunately it was good prophecy. It went down hill from that. I did find the staff a bit surly when I brought up the fact there was no hot water in my bathroom the next morning.

You would not normally see dead animals in front of business establishments here in the South. At least this hasn't been my experience.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:27 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You made me laugh outloud Ani!
Well, don't tell us who is Southern and who is not. I know you figured it out!!!!

Old 01-08-2010, 04:37 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,615,836 times
Quote:
Here is a small example to help those of you who do not understand the cultural/social differences b/n Northerners and Southerners. This is an actual compilation of my own (and my friends') experiences.

Read these examples and then decide which where the women are from - the South or "someplace else."

Two women end up in a car accident. The lady in back obviously caused the accident. After the dust settles, both ladies get out of their cars.

Lady in back car sighs and reaches for her purse to retrieve her license, insurance card and a piece of paper to write down information on. Before she has it in her hand and can exit her car, Lady from front car is banging on the window. Lady f/ front car says "EXCUSE ME! What the hell is your problem? You have to be effing BLIND! I have called police. Don't even THINK about trying to get out of this." Lady who caused accident doesn't know what to say. She realizes she caused accident but having this crazy banshee screaming at her is very intimidating. No way she is gonna get out of the car and confront this woman.

Who is the Southerner and who is from "somewhere else?"

Scenario Two. Same situation. Lady in back caused accident.

Lady in back is furious. She is late and doesn't need more delay. She isn't sure what to do next. She doesn't want to get a ticket but she guesses police have to be involved. She hears a tap on the window. OMG, it is the slow-ass broad from the car in front of her. She is too angry to even talk. She does not even want to look at the woman, but finally rolls the car window down.

"Are you okay?" the lady from the first car asks. "Do you want me to call the police or are you going to call?" The lady in the car says, "What the hell happened? No, I haven't called the police. I don't know that we even need to. Looks pretty minor from where I am sitting."

Lady from front car is not sure what to do. She guesses she should go ahead and call the police, but in her stomach, she has a knot b/c it appears the lady who caused the accident is not going to take responsibility. She dreads having a hassle over this.

Scenario Three

After the dust settles, the women take their time getting out of their cars. "OMG, I am so sorry," (they both say at the same time).

"Are you okay?" says woman who caused the accident.

"I think it is pretty minor," says woman in front car. "I am fine. Just spilled some coffee."

Woman who caused accident says, "OH NO! I am so sorry. Here, I have some wet wipes in the car." She reaches in car and gets wet wipes. "I have one of those new stain removal pens, too, if you want that.

"I have wondered about those! Yeah, I'll try it." Lady hands her the stain pen.

"This sucks," says woman in back car. "I got distracted. I am so so sorry. My husband is gonna kill me. It is his car."

"Oh, dern. Maybe you don't have to tell him. Just get it fixed. Maybe he won't notice," lady in front car says. They both laugh.

Lady in first car says "Do you want me to call the police? Who knows when they will be here. Were you on the way to an appointment? I think I better call and let my tennis partner know I am gonna be late" Lady from first car dials police and reports accident.

Lady in second car says, "You play tennis? WHere do you play?"

"Over at ABC Club. We meet every Tuesday at 10 am." Lady in first car calls her friend, reaches her and informs of delay.

Lady in second car says, "I play tennis, too, but I am not that good. We play at LMN club. But I don't have a regular partner. And oh my gosh, where are my manners. My name is Gina Smith. Sorry to meet you this way."

"I am Mary Brown. Sorry to meet you this way, too." They both laugh. "Where do you live? I live just a few blocks from here."

"Me, too!" Gina says.

"Well, gosh, we should meet up for tennis," says Mary.

"Sounds good to me," says Gina, who writes down her phone number and hands to Mary.

This really happened to me and I was the car in the back expecting to get a ticket for following too close. Even worse than that it was car pool day and I had an extra child with me that had taken off her seatbelt and had been thrown against the front seat. Well the lady in the car in front that was driving her brand new car for the first time told the police it was not my fault and I did not get a ticket. Long story so I won't give you the details. There was another vehicle involved and we sent the police looking for it. So my insurance paid for the lady's car I hit and mine too.

So I get in touch with the parent of the girl expecting her to be upset and she says, "Oh, accidents happen to everybody! It could have happened if I had been driving."

Life is so much better when people consider other peoples feelings. I love where I live.

So you will see me on here cautioning everybody not to follow too close. I know how it feels when you have your foot on the brake pedal as hard as it will go but you know it is not going to be enough.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:42 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
This really happened to me and I was the car in the back expecting to get a ticket for following too close. Even worse than that it was car pool day and I had an extra child with me that had taken off her seatbelt and had been thrown against the front seat. Well the lady in the car in front that was driving her brand new car for the first time told the police it was not my fault and I did not get a ticket. Long story so I won't give you the details. There was another vehicle involved and we sent the police looking for it. So my insurance paid for the lady's car I hit and mine too.

So I get in touch with the parent of the girl expecting her to be upset and she says, "Oh, accidents happen to everybody! It could have happened if I had been driving."

Life is so much better when people consider other peoples feelings. I love where I live.
LOL! Yes, the scenario I wrote about is a compilation of many that have truly happened to me and to my friends (and relatives).

But you didn't give your answer on who was from where in each scene! Do you think anyone outside the South will get the differences in what occurred in each scenario???? And how each woman reacted - even when she caused the accident?

Old 01-08-2010, 04:45 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,052,565 times
Quote:
Here is a small example to help those of you who do not understand the cultural/social differences b/n Northerners and Southerners. This is an actual compilation of my own (and my friends') experiences.

Read these examples and then decide which where the women are from - the South or "someplace else."

Two women end up in a car accident. The lady in back obviously caused the accident. After the dust settles, both ladies get out of their cars.

Lady in back car sighs and reaches for her purse to retrieve her license, insurance card and a piece of paper to write down information on. Before she has it in her hand and can exit her car, Lady from front car is banging on the window. Lady f/ front car says "EXCUSE ME! What the hell is your problem? You have to be effing BLIND! I have called police. Don't even THINK about trying to get out of this." Lady who caused accident doesn't know what to say. She realizes she caused accident but having this crazy banshee screaming at her is very intimidating. No way she is gonna get out of the car and confront this woman.

Scenario Two. Same situation. Lady in back caused accident.

Lady in back is furious. She is late and doesn't need more delay. She isn't sure what to do next. She doesn't want to get a ticket but she guesses police have to be involved. She hears a tap on the window. OMG, it is the slow-ass broad from the car in front of her. She is too angry to even talk. She does not even want to look at the woman, but finally rolls the car window down.

"Are you okay?" the lady from the first car asks. "Do you want me to call the police or are you going to call?" The lady in the car says, "What the hell happened? No, I haven't called the police. I don't know that we even need to. Looks pretty minor from where I am sitting."

Lady from front car is not sure what to do. She guesses she should go ahead and call the police, but in her stomach, she has a knot b/c it appears the lady who caused the accident is not going to take responsibility. She dreads having a hassle over this.

Scenario Three

After the dust settles, the women take their time getting out of their cars. "OMG, I am so sorry," (they both say at the same time).

"Are you okay?" says woman who caused the accident.

"I think it is pretty minor," says woman in front car. "I am fine. Just spilled some coffee."

Woman who caused accident says, "OH NO! I am so sorry. Here, I have some wet wipes in the car." She reaches in car and gets wet wipes. "I have one of those new stain removal pens, too, if you want that.

"I have wondered about those! Yeah, I'll try it." Lady hands her the stain pen.

"This sucks," says woman in back car. "I got distracted. I am so so sorry. My husband is gonna kill me. It is his car."

"Oh, dern. Maybe you don't have to tell him. Just get it fixed. Maybe he won't notice," lady in front car says. They both laugh.

Lady in first car says "Do you want me to call the police? Who knows when they will be here. Were you on the way to an appointment? I think I better call and let my tennis partner know I am gonna be late" Lady from first car dials police and reports accident.

Lady in second car says, "You play tennis? WHere do you play?"

"Over at ABC Club. We meet every Tuesday at 10 am." Lady in first car calls her friend, reaches her and informs of delay.

Lady in second car says, "I play tennis, too, but I am not that good. We play at LMN club. But I don't have a regular partner. And oh my gosh, where are my manners. My name is Gina Smith. Sorry to meet you this way."

"I am Mary Brown. Sorry to meet you this way, too." They both laugh. "Where do you live? I live just a few blocks from here."

"Me, too!" Gina says.

"Well, gosh, we should meet up for tennis," says Mary.

"Sounds good to me," says Gina, who writes down her phone number and hands to Mary.

LOL. The last one HAS to be made up!
I have my own scenarios that happened to me.

Scenario 1 in Long Island, NY:
70+ year old man hit my parked car in a grocery store lot. We got out exchanged numbers. I got an estimate on my car that it would cost 600 bucks to fix it. The guy and I both agreed that estimate was outrageous for the little damage that he casued. We negotiated on 500 bucks that he gave me. Turned out his wife died a few days earlier and he was just out of it.

Scenario 2 in Westchester, NY:
30+ year old hit my car when I was in the turning lane. He was able to punch out the dent w/ his fist and we just agreed to let it go.

Scenario 3 in NYC:
30-40 year old hit me from behind when I was at a stop light. It was raining. My car was really old and had all these other damages from the prior accidents, so I didn't care. I told the lady just let it go even though it was her fault.

Though, I wonder what my experience would have been if I was the cause of the accidents. Maybe it would have been different. I don't know. Maybe others who have experiences can share theirs...

I have a feeling though no matter where you are from a person might experience someone rude and screaming at you if you are in an accident.

My 4th Scenario in Winston Salem, NC. An 85 year old man side swiped me while we were driving along side each other. He just drifted in my lane. We called the police and the officer was surprised I wasn't screaming or upset. So it seems like in his experience people do that.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:47 PM

530 posts, read 1,181,810 times
Quote:
Now let me see . . . Charlotte was a backward city with Southerners who are too slow to dig themselves out of their potato patch until, since the year 2001, a flood of Northerners moved down here and rescued the world from ignorance.

Well. Glad you explained that! I am sure all the taxpayers who have been here for decades are glad to know that newcomers set us all straight (and magically created all these plans - even tho they were all in the works for years and came straight from folks who lived here and were voted onto the city/county governing councils).

Maybe those of you who think you are singlehandedly responsible for "rescuing Charlotte" could do something about the highways around here while you are at it?
You completely took it the wrong way.

And I'm sorry to tell you that Northerners have been moving here since way before 2001.

I've been here since the late 80's

The idea wasn't that Southerners had no part in the progress. I said "Northern people, money and influence have just as much to do with that as the Natives" Equality.....

This is only a southern town based on geography. The inhabitants and all that this town is, is now integrated... Starting long before 2001.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:07 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,615,836 times
Quote:
LOL! Yes, the scenario I wrote about is a compilation of many that have truly happened to me and to my friends (and relatives).

But you didn't give your answer on who was from where in each scene! Do you think anyone outside the South will get the differences in what occurred in each scenario???? And how each woman reacted - even when she caused the accident?
They will know if they really want to. My husband told me if I was ever in an accident to keep my mouth shut and let the insurance company and lawyers take care of it. I always think everything is my fault.

If you haven't seen "The blind side" you need to go see it. (Sorry Sunny, that sounds off topic, but this thread reminded me of that movie.)

Old 01-08-2010, 05:12 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,052,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
"Mess we created for ourselves down there." So people coming here just for the money and caring nothing for our culture and throwing up in our face that it is not our town is the mess WE created? I knew from the first that they would be trasping to somewhere else to follow the money and leave us in a mess. No roots, no morals, no sense of values.

I know that not everybody in every part of the country is the same, but we had a very nice state with loving people when all this started. Others saw what we had and wanted it too, but they refused to change to keep it that way. And no Charlotte is not my town and never has been. I am a country girl and luckily I have settled in a place that still has family values, but I cry for some of the things that are going on in Charlotte now.
Firstly, I think a lot of people come here because their jobs transferred them here or they got a job here. I know for us, it was jobs that brought us to NC. For most of us, you go where the job is.

Secondly, a part of what changed charlotte, is probably more so due to growth than just those 'northerers.' I know the town I grew up in NY, I used to be able to get to stores/school in less than 5 minutes. But after 20 years, there were more stop lights, widened streets, more traffic etc. A 5 minute drive turned into a 20 minute drive. It was awful. The schools got more crowded as years went on. I'm not exactly sure where all the people came from though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte