Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2010, 05:28 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO PANTHERS!! View Post
You completely took it the wrong way.

And I'm sorry to tell you that Northerners have been moving here since way before 2001.

I've been here since the late 80's

The idea wasn't that Southerners had no part in the progress. I said "Northern people, money and influence have just as much to do with that as the Natives" Equality.....

This is only a southern town based on geography. The inhabitants and all that this town is, is now integrated... Starting long before 2001.
You're preaching to the choir, sweetums. I have been posting on here for a long time that Charlotte may be located in the South, but it is no longer a Southern city. And I post regularly that Charlotte is made up of less than 1/3 Southerners.

Of course folks have been moving here for many decades. My ancestors moved here in the early 18th C. But since you have been here, you should be fully aware that the Great Northeast Migration occurred after 2001. It is easy to find the stats if you somehow missed the +/- 80,000 folks a year that moved here annually after 2001.

And since it appears you have not read my gazillion posts on this forum, let me assure you, I have close friends whom I dearly love who are from NY and NJ. I am not anti-anyone. However, I do try to help people understand why folks feel the way they do, act the way they do . . . Just b/c I relay info it doesn't mean that is how I, personally, feel about something - nor does it mean that is how I understand a situation.

If you want to feel you and your brethren have helped with some sort of contemporary Reconstruction of the South, then that is your right! Doesn't mean the rest of us have to agree.

Or maybe we do agree - but think the "changes" have been misguided.

And if you will notice . . . I didn't state where I stood on that, did I? I just threw it out there. I am not trying to argue here. Just providing some food for thought.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
LOL. The last one HAS to be made up!
I have my own scenarios that happened to me.

Scenario 1 in Long Island, NY:
70+ year old man hit my parked car in a grocery store lot. We got out exchanged numbers. I got an estimate on my car that it would cost 600 bucks to fix it. The guy and I both agreed that estimate was outrageous for the little damage that he casued. We negotiated on 500 bucks that he gave me. Turned out his wife died a few days earlier and he was just out of it.

Scenario 2 in Westchester, NY:
30+ year old hit my car when I was in the turning lane. He was able to punch out the dent w/ his fist and we just agreed to let it go.

Scenario 3 in NYC:
30-40 year old hit me from behind when I was at a stop light. It was raining. My car was really old and had all these other damages from the prior accidents, so I didn't care. I told the lady just let it go even though it was her fault.

Though, I wonder what my experience would have been if I was the cause of the accidents. Maybe it would have been different. I don't know. Maybe others who have experiences can share theirs...

I have a feeling though no matter where you are from a person might experience someone rude and screaming at you if you are in an accident.

My 4th Scenario in Winston Salem, NC. An 85 year old man side swiped me while we were driving along side each other. He just drifted in my lane. We called the police and the officer was surprised I wasn't screaming or upset. So it seems like in his experience people do that.
The worst accident my sister has been in was an 88 y/o woman who totaled my sister's car - in Roanoke, VA. God bless 'em . . . sometimes the elderly just shouldn't be driving!

Yes, the last scenario actually happened to me but we ended up exchanging info on a dance club and I joined that club after getting the invite the other lady sent me.

But another friend ended up as tennis partners w/ a gal who had hit her.

And a family member ended up with the name of a good babysitter while standing around waiting for the cops after she had hit a lady, lol.

Southern women (with some breeding - can't answer for the ones who were raised by wolves - and those folks do exist) would rather make friends with anyone - even in a bad situation - than deal with bad feelings, anger, confrontation, etc.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:45 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,406,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
LOL! Yeah, after we teach you guys how to properly says "CONCORD,"

Oh lawd here we go again.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:45 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,211,316 times
Quote:
Southern women (with some breeding - can't answer for the ones who were raised by wolves - and those folks do exist) would rather make friends with anyone - even in a bad situation - than deal with bad feelings, anger, confrontation, etc.
I've often heard this said but have rarely observed it in practice and it doesn't matter if we are talking about Myer's park or the trailer park.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:53 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Yes, you would probably be shocked that many of my friends are from the North. I still don't like that Northern attitude of superiority and if I witness it too much, that person goes on the avoid list. Sometimes I might be forced to be around these people, but I try my best not to be. It is much easier now that I am retired.

Most of MY Northern friends love it here and think just like I do that they have lucked up and moved to the promised land and would never want to go back to where they were. Intelligent people usually do a better job adjusting than the less intelligent.

And did you know that the more intelligent person speaks in a lower tone of voice. Guess you don't have to yell if you are worth listening to.

Last edited by NCN; 01-08-2010 at 06:18 PM..

Old 01-08-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I've often heard this said but have rarely observed it in practice and it doesn't matter if we are talking about Myer's park or the trailer park.
Well, don't know where you have spent your life or where you spend your time now or who you choose to be around . . . so no idea why you have or haven't observed anything in particular. I don't even know whether you are male or female.

I believe quite a bit of literature has been written on this subject by social scientists (as I have read a goodly amount of it myself) - but if this does not match up with your life experience, then it is what it is - for you. From your posts on this thread, I would have to surmise that perhaps your personality is such that you are not likely to back down from anything or anyone just to keep things peaceful or to avoid a confrontation that might leave folks with hurt feelings. So perhaps you can't relate. I am talking broadly here. There are times we all are going to be fierce - such as when we feel we are protecting our children. That is pretty universal.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Oh lawd here we go again.
Hey, Brian! You know the truth of it is . . . I believe the way the folks in MA pronounce CONCORD is really the "right way." But don't tell anyone I said that. ssssssshhhhhhhhhh

Old 01-08-2010, 06:02 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
Quote:
Hey, Brian! You know the truth of it is . . . I believe the way the folks in MA pronounce CONCORD is really the "right way." But don't tell anyone I said that. ssssssshhhhhhhhhh

In MA everyone mispronounces everything. They have vowels screwing around with consonants, consonants screwing around with vowels...correct pronunciation flies right out the window.

Up there they probably call it "Cahncahd".

Old 01-08-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
In MA everyone mispronounces everything. They have vowels screwing around with consonants, consonants screwing around with vowels...correct pronunciation flies right out the window.

Up there they probably call it "Cahncahd".
Close. Emphasis on first syllable, very clipped second syllable.

Cahn' ked, Massachusetts.

It's the way folks massacre SALISBURY that gets me, lol. Sal-is-berry. Dang. It is ENGLISH, folks, as in - from England. At least Southerners managed to retain a close version of it. The English would say - Solzbry (something close to that) so at least we have kept it close to the original English pronunciation.

Not that it matters. On paper, it is all the same, lol.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Close. Emphasis on first syllable, very clipped second syllable.

Cahn' ked, Massachusetts.

Slight correction might be in order. I'm thinking more along the lines of...

Cahn' kit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte