Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 03:29 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,830,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
As long as it is not renamed Detroit!!

Thanks to everyone in the South who doesn't think Northerners are a bunch of rude, obnoxious louts. To those who do, well bless your hearts!
Everyone knows that "bless your heart" means "go *********rself." You ain't fooling anybody.

Charlotte could easily become like Flint. Flint was riding the upward tide of one very large global corporation, General Motors. Problem with tying yourself to one big work-horse is when that work-horse gets old and tired and doesn't want to work anymore, or can get the work done a lot cheaper and dirtier somewhere else, it will leave. When it leaves, the dominos start to fall.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:35 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,586,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Everyone knows that "bless your heart" means "go *********rself." You ain't fooling anybody.

Charlotte could easily become like Flint. Flint was riding the upward tide of one very large global corporation, General Motors. Problem with tying yourself to one big work-horse is when that work-horse gets old and tired and doesn't want to work anymore, or can get the work done a lot cheaper and dirtier somewhere else, it will leave. When it leaves, the dominos start to fall.
Be fair, the Unions are what wrecked Flint, Michigan. Since this is not a pro Union state we are a lot healthier and will continue to be once we bounce back from the recession.

Many of us thought Charlotte was just the right size at about 300,000 people, so we could stand to lose a few right about now.

For your reading pleasure:
UAW: What We Did for Cars, We’ll Do for Your Kids « John Stossel

Old 01-09-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
You misunderstood my post. I did not say that Northerners were being disrespectful to Southerners only. I said that what is normal behavior to most Northern cultured people is considered rude to those of us who were brought up in the South. And yes, I think that normal Northern behavior is more rude and normal Southern cultured behavior is more mannerly. It is a cultural difference. Just my opinion. And yes, I have had people look at me like, "why are you speaking to me." "Because my mother taught me to be friendly" is the answer. I guess we just had fewer people where I come from and anyone who would not speak to you was thought to be "stuck up."

I know that there are many very good hearted people from the North. I really feel for them trying to fit in. It did not take long for me to realize our cultures are totally opposite.
Striking up a convo with complete strangers in public is considered "mannerly?" And if you think of it as JUST cultural differences, than why do you label one "rude" and one "mannerly?" The answer is because you do find one culture superior to another.

Middle Eastern people have a different set of standards of what is "personal space" when conversing with others. I'd say they converse at least 6 - 12" closer than most people who are born Westerners. Are Middle Eastern people more or less mannerly?

Many cultures are much more open with kissing than others. I have Italian relatives who have no problem kissing each other on the lips when they say hi and goodbye. Are they more mannerly than me because I find the practice quite irritating?

Old 01-09-2010, 03:40 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,586,316 times
Quote:
Striking up a convo with complete strangers in public is considered "mannerly?"
It is considered "friendly" - something southerners are known for

Old 01-09-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Be fair, the Unions are what wrecked Flint, Michigan. Since this is not a pro Union state we are a lot healthier and will continue to be once we bounce back from the recession.

Many of us thought Charlotte was just the right size at about 300,000 people, so we could stand to lose a few right about now.

For your reading pleasure:
UAW: What We Did for Cars, We’ll Do for Your Kids « John Stossel
Be fair, big business and unions wrecked Flint. Don't be lulled into thinking that Charlotte corporations are any different than the rest of the industrialized world, and that because you don't have unions you're safe from shareholder wrath.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:43 PM

116 posts, read 297,890 times
*warning language*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUq4YIdIVZM

Old 01-09-2010, 03:44 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,602,260 times
Quote:
Striking up a convo with complete strangers in public is considered "mannerly?" And if you think of it as JUST cultural differences, than why do you label one "rude" and one "mannerly?" The answer is because you do find one culture superior to another.

Middle Eastern people have a different set of standards of what is "personal space" when conversing with others. I'd say they converse at least 6 - 12" closer than most people who are born Westerners. Are Middle Eastern people more or less mannerly?

Many cultures are much more open with kissing than others. I have Italian relatives who have no problem kissing each other on the lips when they say hi and goodbye. Are they more mannerly than me because I find the practice quite irritating?
Actually, I lived in Grand Rapids in the late '50s & early '60s and talking to complete strangers was the norm. If that's different now, I'll have to clue in a friend of mine who still lives in Grand Rapids & still talks to strangers. Talking to strangers is still the norm in Philadelphia & South Jersey, where I lived before coming to the Charlotte metro area.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:44 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,195,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO PANTHERS!! View Post
Whether or not the police were called doesn't excuse the rest of it. Are you suggesting I was saying that calling the police was the problem? Read again and grasp the true context of the post....
It did seem to me this was part of your point. i.e. you were more noble by taking the high road over the unruly vindictive southerner who was harping to call the police for nothing.

In regards to the context, I do get what you were trying to put forth. That much is perfectly obvious and it doesn't require that much thought to comprehend. I personally don't believe in this concept that people are rude or not based on where they were born or raised and there is no one post from me in this long topic that would say that. It is a function of how they were raised. My point for bringing it up, since you did make calling the police an issue in your post, even though you now say that was inconsequential, was to simply put a motivation or possible alternative reason for it.

Finally concerning behavior at accidents, this isn't a time to expect rational behavior. People get upset during automobile accidents no matter how minor and I find it's better to simply to give them the benefit of the doubt rather than cast them in some sort of role. The very first accident I got into as a young careless 16 year old driver occurred when I was backing up, didn't look behind me, and dented a bumper of a parked car. The middle aged woman who was walking back to her car saw it, and burst into uncontrollable tears and she wasn't even in the car when it happened. Her crying mortified me more than the accident which amounted to about $75 damage.

It is a lesson to put these things into perspective. I certainly would not have gained anything by concluding that middle aged women are emotional wrecks due to the results of that accident.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Actually, I lived in Grand Rapids in the late '50s & early '60s and talking to complete strangers was the norm. If that's different now, I'll have to clue in a friend of mine who still lives in Grand Rapids & still talks to strangers. Talking to strangers is still the norm in Philadelphia & South Jersey, where I lived before coming to the Charlotte metro area.
He's probably that freak who keeps carrying on conversations with me while I'm pissing in the restaurant bathroom. Just kidding.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:47 PM

530 posts, read 1,180,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It is considered "friendly" - something southerners are known for
I agree, it is friendly and southerners are know for that. Can be a good quality.

I don't think that makes a Southerner > than a Northerner.

I'm not going to start listing the pro's and con's of one vs the other. But I will say I've lived down here long enough to see many faults...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte