Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 05:23 PM

530 posts, read 1,179,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Son, you just said "You weren't there... " which is nothing but a dismissal of my comments to your post. I was responding to what you posted and if that doesn't reflect what happened, this isn't my fault. As you said I wasn't there.

Now you are saying you were not trying to prove anything, then in the very next breath you say that you posted it as an equalizer which the only assumption is that you were trying to prove something.

I think you just fired the second shot into your foot.
Actually, I was dismissing your comments. I think thats plain to see. And again you were taking a portion of my post out of context. In no way did I post anything that didn't happen. But like I said, if there are more in depth details required, just ask.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Alright guys, break it up. I don't even get what this has to do with the topic anyway.

Move along! Thanks!
sorry, I responded again before reading this post.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:34 PM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,900,619 times
Somebody please explain: Why the constant categorizing by groups? Why the divisions? Why can't we be thought of as humans, or Americans, with faults? Why does it have to be about North vs. South? I don't understand this way of thinking. I never experienced this growing up in the North. Never heard people putting down Southerners this way.

And Loves Mountains, sorry for misinterpreting your earlier post. Obviously this North/South thing is a sore subject for me and something I never even imagined would be an issue prior to moving here. Comments about Northerners being rude, etc. keep resurfacing time and time again on this forum and I resent it. I am a laid back, peaceful person, but when I feel strongly about something, I speak up. And yes, I will argue my point too.

Of course we're all going to dislike obnoxious behavior, but to classify all Northerners as being this way is wrong. Someone who truly believes we're all just one big lump has to be an uneducated hick. I can't imagine anyone who's been out in the world can truly feel this way. I have to keep in mind there are all types of people on this forum, including the ignorant.

And for what it's worth, I'm working in retail right now and it may surprise you to hear that I've had plenty of Southerners talking it up on their cell phones when I was ringing up their purchases. I interrupt their calls all the time to ask them questions I'm required to ask. How rude...however I never once thought it had anything to do with the region in which they were raised. It's about the individual.

I agree with Pink Caddy's earlier post. This is one of the worst threads. I wish the moderator had kept it closed.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:39 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,544,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Ok I was taught to be nice to others and respectful and hospitable also even though I was born and bred in NY.

And it's funny, honestly I have thought the same thing 'why are you speaking to me,' when someone starts talking to me at the grocery store or somewhere. I never say it, but I think it.

The thing is, I've been mugged, groped, intentionally felt up, pushed, shoved, kicked in the middle of manhattan and in the subway; my friend had a knife pulled at her, etc etc. (Some of these things were by women too). We just don't talk to random people at stores or in public. We don't smile at them, we don't wave, nothing. Do we seem rude, sure, but we do NOT want to invite anyone to harm us. While maybe this doesn't happen too much in Southpark or Ballantyne or whereever you are, I still don't like to be too nice. People sometimes just have a hidden agenda.

HOWEVER, behind closed doors or with a friend or someone we're meeting, I would never be rude. Maybe you had a bad experience with your northerner friend. What in particular about her bothered you?
I'm as much a Yankee as you are, but where I have lived, talking in stores & on the street was considered normal. You do understand that it can be down-right helpful, don't you?

For instance, today a friend took me to Ingles to get a prescription & some food.

While waiting for corned beef to be sliced at the deli, a young man came up & asked another deli employee for something. The deli employee was confused & asked the young man what he wanted it for. The young man said that he & his wife wanted to make Philadelphia cheesesteaks at home. I told the young man that I had lived near Philadelphia for many years, & made some suggestions to him. He was thrilled to death & thanked me profusely. The deli employee also thanked me & said that he had had some similar questions, but just didn't have a good answer for the customers.

My friend thought it was funny & said that if it wasn't for my accent, you'd think I'd lived here all my life.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:43 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,495,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm as much a Yankee as you are, but where I have lived, talking in stores & on the street was considered normal. You do understand that it can be down-right helpful, don't you?

For instance, today a friend took me to Ingles to get a prescription & some food.

While waiting for corned beef to be sliced at the deli, a young man came up & asked another deli employee for something. The deli employee was confused & asked the young man what he wanted it for. The young man said that he & his wife wanted to make Philadelphia cheesesteaks at home. I told the young man that I had lived near Philadelphia for many years, & made some suggestions to him. He was thrilled to death & thanked me profusely. The deli employee also thanked me & said that he had had some similar questions, but just didn't have a good answer for the customers.

My friend thought it was funny & said that if it wasn't for my accent, you'd think I'd lived here all my life.
You've fit in since you arrived But then, friendly people usually do, no matter where they go!

Old 01-09-2010, 05:59 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,495,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVP View Post
Somebody please explain: Why the constant categorizing by groups? Why the divisions? Why can't we be thought of as humans, or Americans, with faults? Why does it have to be about North vs. South? I don't understand this way of thinking. I never experienced this growing up in the North. Never heard people putting down Southerners this way.

And Loves Mountains, sorry for misinterpreting your earlier post. Obviously this North/South thing is a sore subject for me and something I never even imagined would be an issue prior to moving here. Comments about Northerners being rude, etc. keep resurfacing time and time again on this forum and I resent it. I am a laid back, peaceful person, but when I feel strongly about something, I speak up. And yes, I will argue my point too.

Of course we're all going to dislike obnoxious behavior, but to classify all Northerners as being this way is wrong. Someone who truly believes we're all just one big lump has to be an uneducated hick. I can't imagine anyone who's been out in the world can truly feel this way. I have to keep in mind there are all types of people on this forum, including the ignorant.

And for what it's worth, I'm working in retail right now and it may surprise you to hear that I've had plenty of Southerners talking it up on their cell phones when I was ringing up their purchases. I interrupt their calls all the time to ask them questions I'm required to ask. How rude...however I never once thought it had anything to do with the region in which they were raised. It's about the individual.

I agree with Pink Caddy's earlier post. This is one of the worst threads. I wish the moderator had kept it closed.
It's cool CVP, and I hear your frustration

See, that's the thing - there's a lot of frustruation going around on all sides, haven't you noticed?

I was trying to explain days ago on here that if we each try to walk a minute in the other guys shoes; try hard to understand where he's coming from, we'd likely all be a lot less frustrated in general.

But no, it's always easier when things aren't "going right" or you're upset about something for human beings to look for someone to blame or take those frustrations out on instead. It's just what we humans do, though we should all be aware of it and strive to do better. That's actually what was happening to our OP when he started this thread.

See, NC natives have a lot of valid points about the way their state has changed over the years. A little sensitivity and compassion about this would get newcomers a lot further in dealing with the reactions they somestimes hear or encounter when they get here.

By the same token, newcomers have the right to move wherever in the heck they want to move - it's still a free country. Many of them come for a fresh start to their lives, a new beginning for their families. They just want to live in a nice place where they feel safe, not too robbed by their local government, and with a decent lifestyle. How can natives begrudge them wanting what they themselves have? They really don't - they just remember a time when things were different and feel an angst about missing what's never going to be again for them.

It kind of reminds me of when parents bring a new baby home from the hospital. Older siblings who were there first often feel displaced and therefore angry at all the changes in their household. But eventually the siblings come to appreciate and like one another because over time they grow up and get to know one another better. That's happening in Charlotte right now, and we just all have to try to be patient with one another until the process is complete

Old 01-09-2010, 06:15 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,544,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You've fit in since you arrived But then, friendly people usually do, no matter where they go!
LOL, TY.

This might not sound related to the thread, but it is... Before I moved here, my little corner of South Jersey was being over-run with the exact same type of obnoxious individuals who some people have elevated to the standard for all northerners.

They would come into the grocery stores & when those of us who were native or long-term residents would strike up a conversation, the reactions were laughable if they hadn't been so darned irritating in frequency. Honestly, I had a woman run, screaming, when I commented on some meat one day. She was standing about a foot away, & I'm not a scary person. A couple of butchers saw it & started laughing their heads off. One of them passed a comment to me that he figured the woman must have been one of those new people.

Then there was the time a woman was behind me in the check-out line. The checker was a lovely woman who had worked for the supermarket for over 30 years. As always, she was talking to each customer.

The "charming" woman behind me started screaming in a very recognizable accent at the cashier to shut up & get moving. After the 3rd time, I turned around & said, "This is how we do things here. We all know the checker. We all talk to each other, whether we know each other or not. If you don't like it, please find another line, or use the check yourself out line." She shut up & checked herself out.

Where I'm coming from with this is that most of us Yankees do not condone or participate in the behaviour being blamed on us all.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:15 PM

197 posts, read 478,297 times
Seems like a couple of you are only posting to start a fight. However, a few are doing very nice and debating respectfuly without attacking someone else.

Why fight when you disagree? Why not explain why you disagree without a attack on someone else?

Old 01-09-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
See, that's the thing - there's a lot of frustruation going around on all sides, haven't you noticed?
I personally don't have any problems with Southerners in general. I will defend myself when lumped in an unjustified, blanketing statement meant to degrade all northerners.

I think your post was brilliant. You've worded that very well. But I don't agree with the part about frustration on both sides. I'm not sure Northerners in general have any major gripe with southerners. And I hope it's not Southerners, as a group that have problems with northerners. So, I'm not sure there are really sides. At least that hasn't been my experience. There have though been a few that have tried speaking for the rest, and cast a bad light on the others. I think people individually can be backwards in there disposition or in there thinking. Both northern and southern. In everyday life I'd usually laugh them off. And at times I've been uncomfortable listening to some of it. Seems that people with the disposition of categorizing northerners or southerners, may also be the ones complaining about Blacks, Mexicans, Middle Easterners... Very telling...

Old 01-09-2010, 06:22 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,376,462 times
Moderator note
If anyone sees a rude or personal attack please use the report post button
thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte